Psa 20.5 Husband just diagnosed

Posted , 10 users are following.

My husband is 64. Psa 20.5.

12 samples taken in biopsy. All 12 invasive adenocarcinoma.

Introductal carcinoma: present

Perineural invasion: present

Group grade 5. Gleason score 9. T3

Ct scan and bone scan being ordered. Consult with radiation dr on thursday. Dr did not mention surgery to remove prostate.

Hes had pain in back and chest but main problem is urinating. He is up almost every hour with urge to pee but very bad flow.

Anyone else with similiar results?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi manda

I had psa 57 last year had all the tests two mri scans and same results in biopsy and eventually was diagnosed with Gleason score 7. I was lucky they told me it was locally advanced but was contained within the prostate and recommended radiotherapy and hormone therapy as removal couldn't guarantee getting rid of it. 15 months later my psa is 0.1 so although sounded not great at the beginning all is well now so I would say don't be too worried if that's possible until you know everything and the success rate is very high for treatment. wish you luck

Len

• Posted

Sorry to read your husband's situation. I assume he has access to available treatment options. If so, you both should carefully consider what is best for him at this time.

People who are diagnosed with issues such as this tend to go on to experience their own unique journey. This might be difficult to understsand and appreciate but treatment options and outcomes vary a great amount. Best to have confidence in the treating medical professionals and decide for yourselves accordingly. I wish you well.

• Posted

I was diagnosed at age 75, PSA was 23 + and Gleason 8+8. The cancer had spread out of the prostate capsule so that an operation was not an option. I was put on hormone therapy before having radiation therapy [28 sessions ]. Follow up PSA is now 0.03 , ca one year after the radiation therapy. Still have another 2 years of hormone therapy ahead of me, the "we shall see".

Before the treatment I was getting up a lot at night for piddling results [ pun intended]

So far so good and I am optimistic regarding the future. Hope this helps if only a little.

Wishing you both the very best in your journey.

• Posted

Im confused on why they dont do surgery? Doesnt seem to be an option for my hubby either.

• Posted

Hello Manda,

Just seen your message. My husband is age 74 and has Advanced Prostate Cancer. The prostate cancer tumours were discovered two years ago following a routine CT scan for his bowel cancer. He will shortly be signed off from his bowel cancer (5 years since original diagnosis, surgery and start of treatment).

His treatment for prostate cancer is hormone therapy to stop and block the production of testosterone . This involves an injection every four weeks at his GP surgery, and a check up every four weeks at the cancer centre at our hospital. Before the hospital check up he has a blood test at the GP surgery (done at the same time as his monthly injection) to check his PSA and other blood levels. At the prostate cancer clinic at the hospital his blood test result is reviewed, blood pressure taken and (if all is going to plan) he is given a prescription for four weeks supply of his hormone tablets. The prescription can only be issued and dispensed at the hospital. When diagnosed his PSA was 126.4 and it now averages 1.6 - 2.2.

So I wanted to let you know that for most men the diagnosis of Prostate Cancer is not 'the end of the world', although it probably feels it at the time. For most men, treatments are available not to reverse the cancer, but to stop it spreading/put it on hold. The CT and bone scans are normal procedures to find out if the cancer has spread outside the prostate (and if so, how far), and if the cancer has spread into the bones.

I found the information available on the Prostate Cancer UK website to be really informative and helpful. Our hospital has a MacMillan Cancer Care information and help desk, and the info available is excellent.

So, don't panic. It's a difficult time when a positive diagnosis is made, and it's a great worry for you, as the partner and potential carer, as well as your husband. But the good news is that there are many successful treatments available and the further tests will show what treatments will be required. Many men do require surgery - my hubby did not need this. Good luck for the future, and keep in touch if it would help.

Maureen

• Posted

May I suggest you look into your husband receiving the injection every three months and not monthly. My GP put me on the monthly injections before an oncologist told me that the three monthly one results in NO or LESS pain at the site of the injection and the side effects eg hot flashes are lower.

Guess what? He was spot on.

From memory the 3 monthly injections were goserlin acetate, known by its brand name "Zoldadex".

• Posted

General practitioner can provide a script for numbing cream for the abdomen prior to needle injection. I had two Zoldadex injections last year, numbing cream is a must.

Also, recommend abstaining from alcohol and cigarettes during treatment. I was alcoholic last year bordering on nervous breakdown. Now I'm in remission; also alcohol & cigarette free past 14 weeks. Fortunately my condition was dealt with early with effective options.

• Posted

Hi Barney,

Hubby started on monthly injections, then went on to a three monthly cycle. However, the combination of the three monthly 'boost/oomph' to his system plus the introduction of Enzalutamide made him feel really fatigued, all the time. So the oncologist put him back on a monthly injection cycle - works better for him. Fortunately, he has never suffered from the hot flush syndrome. (Unlike my brother who has Stage 3 prostate cancer, and has hot flushes all the time)!

• Posted

1. Alcohol - I agree and stopped all alcohol the minute I was diagnosed. Why some continue to drink amazes me.
      2. If possible get your injections at a cancer centre. I got mine from a nurse who only injected patients most of the day. The result was LITTLE discomfort. Once I had to go to a GP and when she injected me, as she RARELY injects anyone, I felt GREAT discomfort.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about hubby and brother. When your brother stops the injections, he should stop getting the hot flushes. At least that was my experience.

Does your husband exercise? Does he have sleeping problems?

• Posted

Hello again, Manda,

In the last paragraph of my earlier reply to you, I meant to say 'many men do NOT require surgery' , not 'many men require surgery'. Apologies.

Maureen

• Posted

Sorry to hear this, has he had a psa test previously and if so when and what was the number ?When you see the doctor on Thursday he will go through all the options. with you and your husband. Don't be afraid of asking whatever you. need to know. There will be a lot. to take in and consider. All the best. Richard (a prostrate cancer survivor)

• Posted

Hi there, I was diagnosed in 1996 at the age of 60 after undergoing a TURP to increase urine flow. I was like your man up every hour. The biopsy showed there was cancer present and I was given the option of Surgery, RT or wait and see. I went for surgery as it left me able to have RT after if not successful. It was the old fashioned Radical and it was quite a big event. The result was good as my PSA dropped to 0.1. After I had to go every 6 months for a PSA and then every 12 months but after 6 years it started to rise again so I was put on 37 doses of RT. It worked as here I am now at 82 and clear. So be positive as the results being obtained now are excellent and treatment is much improved. It is a dreadful period to go through and you have my deepest sympathy. Be strong, be positive.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your situation. Mine is similar but not as severe (Gleason 9; PIRADS 4).

I suspect your husband will be recommended radiation and hormone therapy.

This is because the cancer is no longer confined to the prostate. This is what perineural invasion

means.

When you talk to the radiation oncologist ask him or her what they propose:

SBRT radiation or

IMRT radiation

and why one is to be preferred over the other.

BEFORE you agree to any radiation, return to your urologist (hopefully one you trust) and ask

him to recommend a medical oncologist who will discuss hormone therapy with you and your husband.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.