Psa 20.5 Husband just diagnosed

Posted , 10 users are following.

My husband is 64. Psa 20.5.

12 samples taken in biopsy. All 12 invasive adenocarcinoma.

Introductal carcinoma: present

Perineural invasion: present

Group grade 5. Gleason score 9. T3

Ct scan and bone scan being ordered. Consult with radiation dr on thursday. Dr did not mention surgery to remove prostate.

Hes had pain in back and chest but main problem is urinating. He is up almost every hour with urge to pee but very bad flow.

Anyone else with similiar results?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your input.

Unfortuanely this was his first psa test. In the 20 yrs ive been with him its the first blood test ive known him to take. After pressuring from me he finally went to the dr cause he was getting a lot of back and chest pain. He said chest pain felt like he pulled something not his heart. Hes never had any surgeries other then broken bones from hockey. On no medication. He is not one for Dr's.

The nurse called yesterday and his CAT scan is on friday. Is the CAT scan better then a MRI? How is the side effects of the hormone therapy? Why would surgery not be mentioned. Im reading of many men having it removed.

• Posted

Again, manda798, sorry to read about your husband's condition. Although previously a reckless guy with my health, now 64 year old, I regularly visited general practitioners because of my high risk life style.

You might see lots of opinion and advice on websites, google, etc. however, your main go to is now your husband's treating physicians, the immediate senior staff.

I had strong hormone treatments last year during six months prior to radio therapy July/August 2018. A lady friend had passed from cervical cancer February 2018 so last year was of emotion & sorrow.

Now things are better for me because I didn't give up completely, there were lo times tho - can be very difficult on close relationships etc.

Takes a fair bit of understanding & tolerance. Be good to yourselves.

• Posted

Hi Manda,

I was diagnosed with very similar results to your husband in late 2004 when i was 64. I was treated with Zoladex for 8-9 months from Jan 2005. I underwent 8 weeks of radiation treatment from mid April to mid June in the same year. I am still here although I am about to undergo a small op on my prostate to relieve urine retention.

In the intervening period I have had 3 eight month periods on Zoladex as my PSA tends to increase after a lapse of a couple of years. I am now approaching my 79th birthday, so keep your hopes up because a lot can be done for people like your husband and me and I expect the treatments are even better now.

cheers

g

• Posted

Have you considered the specific scan for prostate cancer called the PSMA PET CT? I have had this and it's very specific at showing spread of cancer in the body, if there is any.

You wrote that the doctor did not offer surgery as an option. This is the case when it is known that the cancer has spread beyond the prostate and so a system wide treatment such as hormones is usually applied.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.