PSA After EBRT Radiation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I finished 43 fractions of EBRT radiation on March, 31 2017 . I am due to for a visit to my urologist April 15, 2017 for a PSA reading.

Question: Would  not the first PSA reading be meaningless, except in establishing a baseline for furure readings? The different types of radiation therapy don’t kill all of the cells in the prostate gland, so they’re not expected to cause the PSA to drop to an undetectable level. The remaining normal prostate cells will still make some PSA.

Although one would think the PSA reading would certainly be lower than the PSA prior to radiation. I am wondering if my Urologist should wait awhile longer to test my PSA.

Just a wondering mind who wonders too much.

Roger

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Roger

It does seem a bit premature. I had a PSA test three months after RF treatment was finished. Good luck

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Roger, I was told by my Dr. that we should wait at least a couple of months to get a true reading because the reading will be elevated from the irritation from the radiation.pat
  • Posted

Finished mine mid-Feburary..  My Rad doc wants to look at my PSA levels in mid-May. They expect it to be about half of my highest level.  3 months another half. 
    • Posted

et0hman,

I am thinking now a psa reading would be no value at all for me just 2 weeks after treatments. Are you doing hormone therapy? Seems to me that would be significant for psa readings. Every cancer for each of us is different. So my question might depend on each individual case.

Thanks for the reply.

Roger

• Posted

I am not taking ADT.  My cancer was caught early and still contained in my left front prostate (undetectable by DRE).   2 weeks out is not a good reading unless your PSA numbers were extremely high.  The Prostate is still irritated and would be still spitting out high PSA numbers. 

Even 6 weeks out from my last rad treatment, my prostate still has spasms that sometimes makes me stop what I was doing for a few minutes as it slowly shrinks and becomes scar tissue.

• Posted

Sorry,hit the reply button premature. My cancer same as yours, still contained in the vessel. Non aggressive by Genetic testing. My PSA was 6.86 at treatment

My biggest concerns now is extremely fatigue and shortness of breath. Time will heal and get back to some normal being.

Very interesting your prostate has spasms, and you can feel it shrink.

I debated and mulled over stayimg on AS. Knowing what I know now, I would have.

• Posted

My PSA numbers went from 2 (base at age 45), to 5 at 50, to 9 at 56.  Just before biopsy was at 11.04. 

The radiologist looked at my MRI/CAT scans over 10 yrs + the one done after my markers were placed.  No spread. 

I am the senstive type, I could feel the xrays at almost all my treatments.  My prostate started spasming after the second week.  I have also been on Flowmax to help dialate both the urethea and my blood vessels in the area.  It helps with the peeing glass feeling. 

I didn't get on ADT, as I work in the high tech/computer field and need all of my mental/memory/comprehension working.  My employer was just down the road from my treatment center, so I worked till about 3:30 then went to treatment.  I didn't need to take time off. 

• Posted

Hi Roger

In Australia the protocol is a PSA test 6 weeks post radiation therapy.

The point of which is to see if the PSA has fallen, even by a little bit.

If so, then the radiation seems to have worked and later PSA tests will show even better results. If it has not fallen, the question is if the right area  was treated.

• Posted

barney,

That is exactly when my Oncologist has me scheduled to come back fro a visit and a PSA (6weeks). The Urologist is the one that has me scheduled 2 weeks after my treatments. 

As usual barney, your replies makes good sense. Thanks

Roger

• Posted

Thank you for the compliment. Of course I wish I knew nothing about PCa because I wish I didn't have PCa.

At least my reading on the topic (in addition to my experience) is paying off by way of adding value to this site.

Good luck for the upcoming test.

• Posted

Hi Roger, Any PSA test is useful. Now you have completed your treatment, and the while the prostate no doubt is still a very unhappy chappie, the PSA shows what is happening in there. It is very common for the PSA to fall and then 'bounce' back up for a period of several months, then subside. Also, depends on if they were treating the entire prostate or just the area where the lesion was.

I am sure Roger you have researched EBRT and resultant PSA action. I just read a Nov 16, 2016 medscape article called External beam radiation therapy in prostate cancer, where they report on the various types of EBRT and the resultant collateral damage that can be caused and the typical PSA path and meanings.

Geoff

• Posted

Geoff, yep did my research lol.

Getting a PSA reading now, can set a "control" marker for future monitoring for future testing. That never occurred to me.

The pattern of the drop in PSA after radiation therapy is also different from after surgery. PSA levels after radiation tend to drop slowly, and might not reach their lowest level until 2 years or more....after treatment.

One thing for sure, I am done with treatments. Collateral damage Is for real.

I will be diligent in monitoring the success or failure of my treatment. But, this old boy had had enough.

A friend indeed you are geoff!

Roger

• Posted

Yeah mate, hang in there. Hopefully, the worst has been done and now time for recovery and smelling the flowers

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.