PSA After EBRT Radiation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I finished 43 fractions of EBRT radiation on March, 31 2017 . I am due to for a visit to my urologist April 15, 2017 for a PSA reading.

Question: Would  not the first PSA reading be meaningless, except in establishing a baseline for furure readings? The different types of radiation therapy don’t kill all of the cells in the prostate gland, so they’re not expected to cause the PSA to drop to an undetectable level. The remaining normal prostate cells will still make some PSA.

Although one would think the PSA reading would certainly be lower than the PSA prior to radiation. I am wondering if my Urologist should wait awhile longer to test my PSA.

Just a wondering mind who wonders too much.

Roger

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Roger; My radiologist told me my next PSA test would be at least 3 months after the last radiation treatment, simply because it takes a while for the system to recover from the treatment(s).  Im 75, and here in the USA, had ADT + Brachy (Mar 8) + EBRT (28 daily treatments)
    • Posted

aksns61

If I had known then, what I know now, I would Have never had 43 radiation treatments . I would stayed on AS.

My PCA was determined non agressive by Genetic testing. And any one in my age group, and my PCA numbers. Treatment is more harmful than good.

• Posted

Just a note about PSA result testing; there seems to be 2 modes of thought; one being to test after 6 - 8 weeks and the other identified by the NCCN guidelines suggest that waiting will avoid the false bounce which happens more than 50% of the time due to remaining irritation of the prostate and the recovery. In the US, the normal wait time is a minimum of 2 months after Brachy.  When I asked the question to my oncologist, their answer was 3 months, Because my ADT does not end until June. Therefore they are waiting until September to take my PSA.
    • Posted

My PSA will be tested 6 weeks after rad. I don't expect a low reading. The false bounce is exactly the info my Oncologist told me, because the prostate still healing.

• Posted

Six weeks is also the Australian standard. After radiation the PSA should commence trending down but will not fall to zero.
    • Posted

Ive started my 28 radiation treatments, post Brachy. The PSA is currently scheduled for mid September. So far, the treatments are benign, takes about 20 minutes, the dose rate is 48Gy/treatment which is on target with the NCCN guidelines. The lower dose rate should result is faster healing and fewer side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.