PT after ankle ligament tightening/repair surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm a little over 5 weeks post-op and had my first PT session yesterday. My concern is the PT doing more damage than good. PT office has no paperwork from my dr. other than what I handed them (basic orders) and is just going on what I have told them. I was in a cast for 10 days and have been in a boot for about 4 weeks. FWB as tolerated, boot to be worn 24/7 until next dr. appt. 

I know PT is going to be a little rough but should the PT be yanking on my foot to get it to move?? I moved it as far as I possibly could and she thought I was "sandbagging her" (her words) and she grabbed my foot and pulled hard enough on it that the pain made me come up off the table. Is this normal? I know I need to loosen up everything but I sure as heck don't want to undo everything my ortho repaired.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had tendon repair and the groove in my ankle bone drilled to deepen it so the tendons would not pop out and over my ankle when I walk. Surgery was 6 and a half weeks ago. I was put in boot still nwb at 2 wks and started pt. I had very little movement in my ankle just after 2 wks. Neither my physical therapist or the therapist assistant have pulled on my foot at all. They tell me what they want me to do and to do it only to just the edge of pain but not to push to the point it hurts.

I would call my surgeon and ask if this sounds like what should be done at this point. I'm sure the surgeon would prefer his work not be undone either.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

Take it from me if she would have said that to me and caused the pain you described she would be the one on the floor.

Barbara

• Posted

Your PT sounds hard!! Mine held my foot and did apply pressure to get my foot pointing up, but although it did give me pain she didn't over do it. . Not once had she pushed me to do anything that gives me s lot of pain. Even though I do find physio painful with some of the exercises. Mine tells me to go ad far as my pain allows me and to listen to my body. I would definitely tend get hold of your consultant to see if what she's asking you to do isn't undoing g anything. Good luck sx

• Posted

Unacceptable.  If she is telling u that u r sandbagging her or treating u in a belittling manner find a new one.  Also it's your body not hers!  Do not go back!  I are supposed to push a little but not come off the table in pain .... UNACCEPTABLE! 

• Posted

Dear Kimber

I would be very concerned by this guy's treatment of you. Yanking your ankle IMO is bad practice. Find someone else.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Defiantly get a new one. Pt places pressure but says to stop if it hurts too much. And why the hell does she think it's ok to question your pain level.  Not very professional or helpful. And it seems to be common for communication to go out the window with today's "professionals". We get kept in the dark with our own healing choices 

• Posted

Hi Kimber,

​I think you need to seek a new PT like everyone suggested. If that would have been my foot like Barb that person would have been laid out. Iam still in my cast until the 30th I am 4 weeks post-op tendon and ligament repair. I struggled with the doctor to bend my foot enough to get the cast on it. I was so stiff.

I wish you the best and find a new PT person and possibly report that one.

Danette

• Posted

Hi, Sorry you have to go through the surgery and again the pain from physio. My physiotherapist is very gentle and tells me before pressing or moving slowly to tell him if it starts to hurt and then stops. Even for any exercises at home he told me to do it only until it starts to hurt and stop but try again few times but to make sure it doesn't pain.

Your one doesn't  sound good to me. Change the therapist if you can. Good luck

• Posted

How many times a week are all of you going to physical therapy? 
    • Posted

hi christina I go once every week . At the moment the longest I spend there has been 30 mins. sx
    • Posted

I go once every week and it's a 30mins session. Im so fortunate to get a good therapist. Helps with exercises and also gives a good massage for the calf and incision area to loosen the muscles. I see the changes every week.

• Posted

I go twice a week for an hour. They look at incision, ask questions to check for any new pain or problems, give me a chance to ask any questions I may have. They have me do some basic ROM exercises to loosen up my ankle and then they introduce one or two new ones. Once all exercises are done they hook up the tens machine and wrap ice around my ankle for 15 min.
    • Posted

Vanessa and deepus, you sound as if you really get spoilt at your sessions.!!  I get 30 mins of exerciseshen told to book another appt for the following week. Wish i got either of your PT's.  lol  sx

• Posted

I really like my pt and the pt assistant. Most of my appointments are with the assistant but usually the first one after I have been to my surgeon for a checkup I get the therapist. They are both great! Very encouraging and don't mind answering questions. I'm very lucky!

• Posted

Did you all start rehab after you started walking or at the same time you started walking ? 
    • Posted

I wish my doctor was allowing me to start pt he's got me in a whole cast for 3 more weeks so I'm not able to walk for the whole 6 weeks which sucks! It's too hot to be struggling with these crutches! Uggggghhhhh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.