Pulled muscles

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi every body has any body else suffered from pulled muscles from doing the simplest things a couple of months ago I was hovering up n felt my right shoulder muscle pull then their was pain I tried voltarol but couldn't reach where it hurt to put it on I went to the doc he gave me some baclofen 10mg to relax the muscles I tried them for about four days but my arms were jerking really bad so stopped taking them . Then again hovering this time with my left hand to give right shoulder a rest I felt a shearing pain underneath the arm more to ribs. then yesterday I was sat down emptying my shopping trolley then I felt another shearing pain in my left ribs under the bust iv got heat patches on plus voltarol cream . I'm just wondering if it's pmr or ribs as when I went to see rheumy he said I had osteoporosis and had to get the infusion of zoledronate still waiting to hear from the hospital 're that

Thank you all.in advance

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Both of my shoulder muscles hurt, and I pulled my groin about two months ago. Every time they start healing and I use them just a little bit, I'm back to square one. That's one of the things about PMR that I noticed most significantly. That I pulled my muscles and hurt my tendons very easily

• Posted

Thank you Bob I've never hurt so much doing the simplest of things at least I now know it's part of pmr and not osteoporosis so thanks for your reply Bob

• Posted

Glad I'm not the only one.   As you say, once you have pulled a muscle or tendon the healing process doesn't go smoothly.  It seems that any sudden tensing of the muscle/tendon results in a strain.

• Posted

In my worst PMR days--any past muscle or strained area flared with the disease. It was amazing and matched perfectly past injuries--like the body has such a memory. At first I thought I needed  a good massage but have learned you don't massage or mess with  physically, an inflammation. It needs to quiet down and maybe rest for a period of time. It starts at joint perhaps but spreads out. Don't know about drugs you mentioned.Does hovering mean the plank? That is an exercise that works on every single muscle possible and may be too hard on shoulders if they are bearing too much of the weight.  If your core is strong it can take on much of the work.

Good luck

• Posted

I was walking down to the river for my daily swim.  There had been a very high tide a few days previously and the grass had died so was very slippery.  I skidded and nearly fell: my failing arms somehow preventing a fall.  However, just this involuntary - but sudden - arm activity triggered a very sore shoulder that lasted a whole week before it came right !  Definitely PMR related: PMR seems to make the body very 'tender' to issues like a little pulled muscle that would normally come right overnight.   PMR also seems to thin one's skin: I'm always surprised how a little graze in my workshop - I build pest bird traps in galvanized wire and the sharp edges often get me - produces a surprising amount of blood !  

• Posted

Pred thins the skin and also weakens muscles.
    • Posted

Than you Ackagee

I shall be taking more care in future

• Posted

It is ridiculously easy to injure yourself when you have the double dragon of PMR/pred in your life.
  • Posted

You are not alone. PMR does weaken muscles and tendons so much that it we become prone to injury.  Previous injuries create weak spots that are even more susceptible.  I thought that I was in good shape with swimming and biking that I do regularly several times a week. And I was... for those activities only.  But as soon as I tried something different I paid the price.  I attempted running and hurt my knee so bad, that I have been going on physical therapy for last 6 months or so.  I am almost ( it feels) back to where I was before I foolishly  attempted to jog.  This time I am trying to prep those muscles and slowly make them stronger to withstand light jogging, which I hope to start in a month or so...

The moral of the story is: it is possible to do just about anything , but it takes lots of gradual preparation before our bodies are ready.

• Posted

Lot of evidence that cardiovascularly speaking brisk walking is better for you than jogging - and orthopaedic surgeons say that jogging on roads is particularly bad for the knees that will land on their tables for repair!
    • Posted

I have a crazy idea to do one or more triathlons in spite of PMR, that is why I am training. My cardiovascular system is in decent shape from biking and swimming; it is my running muscles, especially around the knee that need improvement. Maybe I just dreaming, but hey, why not try to do it?
    • Posted

I just looked up how long the distances are in triathlons and learned that there are different types of triathlon, some more arduous than others.  Sending link to article.
    • Posted

Nick, when I was in my 60s, after my last 10K my doctor told me it would be better for me to just ride my bicycle. I stopped running and stay cycling and my knee problems ended. Now I try to ride 3-4 times a week weather permitting. As we age we have to make adjustments to our lifestyles. Good luck on the rest of your journey. ☺️
    • Posted

Just be aware Nick, that running is hard on the body as we age. But believe me I understand the desire. I love be out and active. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Nick, the biking and swimming are so good for you, why tempt fate? Many people are learning that running poses too many means of injury and pain. Those of us with PMR have come to respect its power....we deal with, and around it.
    • Posted

No, I don't even dream to do Ironman distance.  My target is Olympic DIstance ( 1.5Km swim, 40km bike and 10K run) or shorter, sprint distance. I am not going to compete, my goal is to complete the event. I already swim and bike at the level that I would not have any trouble finishing Olympic distance. It is just running that I need to work on. 

As far as knee, training for the run actually makes it stronger. Because I train more then one sport, my lungs and heart are already in good shape. Multi-sport training has some cross-benefits. It does not take as much training in running to get to the point to be able to do 10K, especially that my goal is just to finish.  I already can swim 2.5-3km per session and bike 15-20Km in the mountain ( which is harder then 40Km on flat), so I am 2/3rds done with preps biggrin.  It should be fun... I just need to be extra careful because of PMR and all the weakness it brings upon us.

• Posted

I love being outdoor. It makes me feel alive. I am not going to go crazy and hurt myself again, but some running / jogging should be good for me.  Besides, I still need to keep up with my 2 sons. We have a tradition that I challenge them every time we get together ... Now they can beat me in running, but still can't touch me in biking/swimming ( and they are in their prime). 10 years ago was the first time younger one outrun me.

• Posted

Nick, I understand the challenges of sports. I am an avid cyclists and skier. The challenge of climbing a mountain road on a bike or skiing a moguled black diamond can only be under stood by those who do it. Others think, you're crazy! And that might be true, but I think that helps to keep you young. Stay active, positive and young. Go for it man! ??

• Posted

Good for you Nick, I think I got about 80 days of skiing in last year. It is my passion! Key staying active. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.