pulmonary embolism and flying

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hi everyone i was diagonised with pe on both lungs on the 15th of may 2017 i am now on rivaroxaban  15mg twice a day and 25mg of sildenafil 3 times a day i am due to fliy on a 9 hour flight on 11th of june 2017 now that iam aware of what i need to do i am willing to take my chances and fly but im getting so much a mixture of opinions but the bottom line i really want to fly  even though its relatively early iam feeling well within my self any input here will be much appreciated

0 likes, 16 replies

Report

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

    Sorry I wouldn't risk it myself. But I am not an expert. Have you asked your doctor. ? They will give you an honest answer. Also would your insurance be valid if you went knowing the risks.? 💐💜

    Report
    • Posted

      hi lizzie i asked my dr last week and she wasnt very sure herself regarding risk but i guess she would rather  not have me me fly

      to cover herself but it would be my decision totally i am feeling well

      even though my pe was very recent  decision time.lol

      Report
  • Posted

    Hi there I would definitely speak to a specialist through your doctors / hospital . I had bilateral pe's end of February last year and they only cleared me to fly more than about 3 hours ( or drive longer as well) once they were clearing up at 6 months point. That's my experience anyway , I guess everyone is different so definitely get proper advice .

    Good luck

    James

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi Jimmy, were you in an anti coag at the time they would not advise flying. I had an unprovoked very small PE 2 weeks ago and am on xeralto. No DVT and all tests arnd labs are good. I am supposed to leave on a golf trip ( pre planned) this Wed 2/21 to Jamaica. Not sure what to do. Some people say as long as I am on an anti coag wear compression socks of course and hydrate and move...then others say not for 6 months. Not sure why such vaccilation in opinion. do people have another PE while on blood thinners? is that possible? 

       

      Report
  • Posted

    I plan on flying soon too and I plan on asking but I plan on putting forth a good argument in my favor like. I'll wear my compression socks and pants. I'll get up and walk alrlert the stew so she knows why I'm up and moving. Even if it's just in place a little. I'll walk during layovers. Take plenty of water. And not forget my meds.

    Report
  • Posted

    Hi, I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism two weeks ago, I have multiple small clots and I am on rivaroxaban currently one tab twice a day for three weeks then one a day. I am supposed to be flying on Saturday to USA. Two weeks ago the doctors said I should be ok to fly and my medical records would show this although this would be reviewed on my next hospital appointment. I go back to hospital on Wednesday for the final decision. So I have my fingers crossed. I have updated my holiday insurance re the PE. But have been told as I am on blood thinners in theory I'm better off on the flight than most of the other passengers? Also I have looked at exercises I can do, plus get up and walk up and down plane aisle and drink water and energy drinks.

    If they give the green light I will be nervous but will go.

    In articles I have read they say there is no scientific reason not to fly but general they advise leave it a month to be on safe side, I will be three weeks

    Bit long winded answer but good luck and hope your better soon.

    Report
    • Posted

      hi mort my next review is 17th of august which made me think the clots i have are probably  managable hence the review being so far away i wish someone could give me a definitive answer regarding the pressurised environment of an aircraft and any effect it may have on someone with pe

       

      Report
    • Posted

      Even if on Wednesday they say I'm ok to fly I will still be worried. But the way I'm looking at is if its a yes then I'm already taking blood thinners, I will be wearing made to measure compression stockings (I had been measured after a DVT in October) I will drink and keep hydrated and walk a lot on the plane and do exercises as for the PE's mine are small but obviously there is still a risk but I think the precautions I'm taking will be to counter act the dangers.

      I hope the doctor can give you the reassurance and support you need. Good luck

      Report
  • Posted

    I was diagnosed with multiple bi-lateral PEs on May 15th and was suppose do fly to Argentina on June 5th to watch my daughter play for the first time ever in the FIBA Americas championships for the U16 Canadian Narional women's team. Doctor has told me absolutely not as it is too much of a risk as I could get into serious trouble very quickly in the air with my lungs. We are devasted that I can't go but at the end of the day it is not worth the risk. Also if anything was to happen my insurance company wouldn't touch me. Totally believe you just have to

    Listen to what your doctor has told you. If they have cleared you for flying that is great. If not listen to them and wait until you are given the all clear. Just my thoughts.

    Report
    • Posted

      So sorry to hear you will miss such a huge event. But I think your daughter would rather have you safe and healthy watching a video. Than at deaths door on a plane. Think how that would make her feel. Well done for making the right decision. xxxx💐💜 Good luck to your daughter... x

      Report
    • Posted

      hi joanne i totally understand your situation but i feel so fustrated because i feel good within myself iam taking the medication and i know what i would have to do on a flight from now on i might have another word with my dr to see if i can convince her that  iam good to gobiggrin
      Report
  • Posted

    Hey there... Laying in the hospital bed, literally, as I type this. Came to the ER with what I thought was belly pain and they found the PE. Along with the painful Lovenox shots in my tummy, they've started me on Coumadin and said I will have to be here for the next 5 days to get stable. My birthday is on Tuesday, which I'm fortunate to be able to see, but I had a trip planned for the middle of April, involving a 4 hour flight. After reading all of your responses, I don't think it's a good idea to fly but also the doctor said that the clot could rupture going to 30,000 feet. I'd be in SERIOUS trouble! But I was wondering... I purchased the insurance on the ticket in case of something like this... Do you think they will give me my money back? Cause, I mean, after all... You CAN'T FLY within 6 months of a PE, right?

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up