Pulsatile Tinnitus

Posted , 16 users are following.

I was diagnosed over the telephone by a doctor who told me I have pulsatile tinnitus. Because of the threat of COVID19 they wont send me to the hospital for a proper diagnosis so I am worrying myself silly I have some kind of artery problem or brain tumour. Can anyone help please if not just for reassurance x

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Claire

I doubt it's either of the things you're worrying about. Worrying about tinnitus always makes it louder and worse.

I would avoid going to a hospital at this present time, like the plague. Tinnitus does just come on sometimes for no reason or can be instigated by other things.

Can you try to ignore or mask it, go outside listen to birds and background noise. It can take a long time to adjust if it stays but it's totally possible.

Hope it improves

Gill

• Edited

Thank you for your kind reply I stupidly googled Pulsatile Tinnitus and it came up with allsorts from tumours to ear wax. I will definitely take your advice though thank you so much x

• Posted

Yes don't google anything other than 'habituation' which is the positive side of it all and can def be achieved. But yours may go away by itself, hope so!

• Posted

hi claire. It is extremely unlikely that your tinnitus is a symptom of a serious illness. I have had pulsatile tinnitus for 20 years. I've found that stress and salt severely aggravate the problem. May I recommend the following:

1. try eliminating salt from your diet for a week and see if that makes a difference.
    2. try to significantly reduce your stress level (I know that is hard to do) by meditating, deep breathing and exercising. If these do not help then ask your doctor to write a prescription for Ativan 0.5mg. Take one or two per day under your tongue. Ativan is a sedative that works particularly well on calming the inner/middle ears....source of much of the pulsatile tinnitus. Let me know how this works out for you. But stop worrying....you will be fine.
  • Edited

Hi, my advise to you, is not to worry about this problem that certainly is uncomfortable. I've suffered it for at least 25 years. some people the noise goes away by itself and many times it remains. I've Massage all my head, and specially around the ear. I think it helped a little... I feel less noise.... I just don't think it is there. Ativan probably won't help. As time goes on, if the noise doesn't disappear, for sure one get's used to it......

• Posted

hi thats a long time

i feel im diagnosing myself with the worst outcomes from googling.

Mines started a couple months ago. i dont know what to think of it.

im worried of a blood clot or a stroke.

Did not know that people experience this until i did and began to google.

what is the cause if yours ?

25 years is so much.

• Posted

Yes it's true you do get used to it but better to not think of it as suffering, best to be positive and bat it off!

• Edited

hi Claire,

I am in the same exact position as you. I started hearing this thumping sound in my right ear a week or so ago. I googled it and pulsatile tinnitus is exactly it.

To tanney's points, I am feeling super stressed out on top of having already being so prior to current events. I take care of my 91 yo mom and feel like I am going to bring the virus in. Also, my allergy shots are spaced out further and it is very hot temps here and allergy pollen numbers are very high Plus, I have been eating more canned, processed foods so salt intake is much higher I'm sure.

I have tried tilting my head up and that seems to lessen the intensity of it. And just sitting and meditating seems to help too.

• Edited

Dear all

Here's the thing

Head tilting, and relating it to salty food etc only concentrates the worry and anxiety around tinnitus

I'm not saying it doesn't take time, it took me 2 years and I tried everything, even bits of rolled up paper in the shape of cones in both ears!!

But I can now say the sound is exactly the same (loud) but I very very rarely hear it. It's all about focussing on something else and forgetting about it. Takes time and determination. I listen to rain at night and just get on with my life.

G.

• Posted

I'm so glad I saw this post. I am also experiencing a throbbing/whoosing sound in my left ear for about 2 days now. I notice it when I'm laying down trying to relax. I too googled it and instantly thought of the worse. I had a bad back muscle spasm about a month ago and my back never has felt the same. I don't know if they are related.

• Posted

hi Claire .

i have pulsatile tinnitus . do you want to chat ? do you still have it and have you been seen by any one ?

best wishes

• Edited

OMG I am so glad I found this forum. My left ear has been doing this whoosing/heartbeat sound for a few months now. Of course google said says the worse.

I met with my primary and was diagnosed antihistamine thinking it was clogged ear. It's been 4 months now and has been happening about 3x a month still. It scares the s**t out of me. I keep checking to make sure that side of my face is not drooping....so crazy! I surprised the doctor doesn't seem too concerned.

I want to investigate it further but COVID don't want to go anywhere near a hospital or urgent care.

• Posted

i am glad i have found this forum as well! i too have had a whooshing sound in my left ear for months but only when i turn my head a certain way! theresa have you found out your diagnosis or seen anyone for this yet?

• Posted

hi have the opportunity exact issue. were you diagnosed ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.