Pulse and heart beat skipping. Feeling of a thud in chest

Posted , 6 users are following.

Right abit about my background,

I'm a 30 year old male. 5ft7. 11.8 stone

I went to the doctors just after Christmas because I was feeling panicky about having palpatations and my racing heartbeat.I went through a serious of blood test to look at my cholosterol, blood sugars etc. And I have a 24hr blood pressure monitor fitted. All came back OK but he said my panic attacks and palpatations were triggered by anxiety. I was prescribed with prolanolol and I have been on them for 3 weeks now. First few weeks were great but the past 3-4 days I have been experiencing this drop in my heart beat. It feels like it skips a whole beat and like a thump on my chest. It's scary as hell and I have to catch a breath , I even pressed against my pulse on my neck to see if it did skip and it dropped then carried on as normal.

This scared me so I went to A and E, I was given a 30 second ECG in which time I didn't experience one of these drops (typical). They said that was OK. But he said he wanted to refer me to my GP and have a 24 hour monitor fitted on my just to measure it over a longer period of time. He was going to do a blood test and chest x ray but his colleague advised I didn't need that and they sent me home, now I am just sat here with this horrible feeling waiting for my appointment. I can talk to anyone about as they don't seem to understand and tell me to chill out, I have googles it extensively and came up with ectopic heart beat but I just want a little bit of reassurence as it is scaring the life out of me that my heart is going to stop at any minute. Like I said I am on prolanolol and it doesn't seem to effect these drops in beat.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but it's driving me insane.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anxiety is the biggest part of this Lee, I'm in the same boat had a blood test and ecg everything was fine! I get small palpitations throughout the day and the same thoughts as you and they seem too go when ya mind is busy doing something. Until your anxiety goes I'm sure your body will be at ease as mine only started 4-5 months ago through stress. Hope this helps out!! Take it easy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.