Pulse/whooshing in head with pressure.

Posted , 34 users are following.

I know about pulsatile tinnitus, and i do have "regular" tinnitus, but I'm hoping someone has had this feeling as well during the hormonal fluctuations. I'd like to believe that this sensation is another weird symptom in meno, rather than the descriptions online of what could be causing this pressure and pulse pound in my head. I seem to go through phases of it, so I'm hoping that's a good thing, but I'm in a bad spell right now and am fighting off the fear factor.

The best way to describe it is to hear my pulse in my ear, usually with head pressure/head feels full of air, and sometimes a dull headache at the base/back of my head. It can sometimes pound or "whoosh" quote loudly, and often most noticable when lying down. Almost like hearing an ultrasound machine on the womb. I'm seeing my Dr right before the holidays, but I'd like to know if others have experienced this as well. It's definitely activating my anxiety & I try really hard to breathe through that and divert my mind when its happening.

6 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Edited

i get that too especially on lying down to sleep - its exactly how you describe - like an ultra sound scan - i get 'cotton wool' ears too - like muffled sounds - only been going on a few years - im 56 & well in the swing of the big M xx

• Edited

Yes! Cotton ears, and sometimes like there's air pressure in my head as though someone has pumped it in my ear with a bike tire. Oh the descriptions we can create with all of these bizarre symptoms! It is very noticeable when lying down. I had to have my meditation app on last night for about 45 mins so i could concentrate on her voice and not my washing machine head. It would be most helpful if it would go away for awhile so I could settle. I always tell myself "it can't be deadly if it comes and then goes away for months". As early on I thought that I must be dying of cancer since the odd things & pain were layering on fast and furious. I'm in another round of ribcage pain right now, which years ago had me concerned for so many reasons. Now, I certainly don't welcome it, but I try really hard to remind myself that I've had it this bad before & it will subside one of these days. Thank you so much for the reply - you have helped me take on another day of this to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

• Edited

hi darling, wanted to let you know i have this feeling all the time, along with the most horrendous other tinnitus symptoms, my menopause is literally making me feel so so unwell, severe dizzy spells, electric shock feelings, in head and body, teeth on edge, vibrations in head and body, extreme weight gain, with no change of eating habits!!!! anxiety at its worse, now experiencing high blood pressure!! only since menopause! oh my lovely, the list could go on and on!?! xxxxxx

• Edited

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you're getting hammered with so many things at once right now. I was in that place a few years ago and it was so scary. Severe dizzy spells and I would also feel like I was going to pass out, right out of the blue. Scared me silly! Adrenaline surges even waking me up from rare sleep. Chattering teeth, racing heart, spikes in blood pressure (who buys a blood pressure machine in their early 40's!), so I feel for you when it's an intense time. It seems that it's been going on so long now that I've accepted it somewhat as my new norm, so I now cycle through the stuff and maybe only have 10 strange symptoms at a time now 😉 I haven't had the weight gain out of the blue, but my friends who have hit actual menopause, have told me that this is a new thing for them - weight especially in the belly, but also all over & not from any changes in diet (other than often they start eliminating things after this happens, like gluten, sugar etc).

I've been going through the dizzies again lately and notice this pounding/pulsating whoosh is back full force, so likely a correlation there. Mercy we are tough nuts to go through this, I really don't know many others my age who are facing this. Those of you in this forum have done a tremendous job in helping me cope with this. So appreciative.

• Edited

I have had a pulsing feeling and vibrations in my head for about 7 months. So glad to see this thread. I have had an MRI of head and neck and it did not show anything. Have a CT scan scheduled for Monday to see about pulsatile tinnitus, but I do not have ringing in my ears or a whooshing sound, just the pulsing and vibrations in my head most noticeable at night. Not sure if it could be menopause or anxiety or both.

• Edited

I get this too, exactly as you described... I get a terrific migraine within a couple days of this always so I believe its all related to the migraine.. You talked a bout a dull headache with it so maybe you are having the migraines with this only the non painful ones.. If thats the case be glad because the painful ones are so bad to go through month after month.. Ive had an MRI they didn't find anything thank God, but my anxiety always has me thinking the worst too.. But it does always pass.. Do you get auras at all with your dull headaches those are no fun either.. I'm so done with all these weird crazy symptom just done.. Its all just torture isnt it??? Have you had an MRI if not get everything checked out for piece of mind then you know yes all menopause.. Hope it passes fir you soon..

• Posted

I actually did have a migraine the other day, and wondered if this was a part of this as it's worse now than it has been in awhile. I also skipped my period, or I'm 13 days late as of now, but did have a very very light coloured stain for a day and a half so maybe that was "it". I do experience migraines & all sorts of headaches, and have my entire life, so that part is nothing new for me. The migraines that I get with an aura at least give me some time to medicate as when my vision goes, this is my clue that the head pain is coming soon.

Thank you for your reply!! I see my doctor right before Christmas and he is likely going to bite his tongue, but I'd still like him to send me for an MRI for peace of mind - I would be willing to pay for it myself, I'm that concerned. BUT, the responses I've received here have really helped my nervousness about this as my birth father died of a brain aneurysm in his early 40's so I have always been concerned about stroke etc. as I've aged (& before my meno-journey!). Thanks again & I'm glad to hear that your MRI was clear! Feels like it's always something & feels so rotten to be so riddled with bizarre symptoms 😦

• Posted

I can totally sympathise on the migraine side of things, I've been in the perimenopause for about 6yrs and the headaches came on 2 days before my period started, like someone was hitting you above the right eye with a screwdriver/hammer for 24hrs but they had consistency so Dr suggested hormone changes and to take migraine tablets. I am now 12 months with no periods (woo-hoo!) and they have gone. However I still have other symptoms!! but there may be hope for your headaches when the periods stop 😃

• Posted

HI gypsy

how long does migraines take to fade away ??mine is head pressure, head pain n during periods pain or pressure increases n auras in my left eye like bright sun or white moon. its holding my neck too and left leg also effected like feeling weak.

• Posted

hi jenni, how tr your headaches now woth aura , im getting it every day since last year im 41

• Edited

Jenni,

I've had that in my left ear for the past few months while going through a lot of peri-he**. I wear ear plugs to bed so that can make it louder...sometimes it sounds like squeaking. I've been trying to tune it out because it was making me anxious. Then when I would get anxious, it would get louder 😦 I really believe it is from hormones somehow.

• Edited

Thanks so much for the support with your reply. It helps tremendously to know that others have experienced this. I would imagine that the earplugs intensify it! I've tracked mine to mainly my left ear as well. It's throughout my head, but I feel like I hear it most loudly in the left ear. Like the bonging of a drum from the inside. I have been VERY hormonal lately & have all but skipped a period, so I was hoping this was the reason for the intensity. My breasts have been very sore, ribcage pain, VERY dizzy, and my leg aches again, so I'm thinking something must be surging or has dropped off the charts. When you read up on pulsatile tinnitus though, it's not helpful and quite scary, so I'd rather go with the hormone theory until I see my doctor.

I wish this large, worldwide group of us were in a study as we could help alleviate the next generation of women who have difficult times during the change of life. This needs to be a scientific study and "normalized" to some degree. I can't say any of us wish to be in this exclusive club of high anxiety over strange symptoms that most doctors don't understand nor equate with peri-menopause/menopause! It was a bit funny when I asked an acupuncturist if acupuncture could help with the anxiety that can ramp up in peri-menopause, and she gave me a little speech about how menopause is a natural process for women and that once we accept it, things get easier - and yes acupuncture could help the anxiety. I politely smiled, made a mental note that this was not the acupuncturist for me, and thanked her for her insight. If you only knew, honey! Those of us on this forum aren't experiencing the "norm" of a hot flashes and some anxiety - we have been coping with a lot! Thanks for your reply & being an "ear" out in the universe!

• Edited

I agree that there needs to be more educated doctors out there to help us! A study would be a great way to gather more information on peri symptoms.I know I've had some doctors scratch their heads and weren't sure if some of my obvious symptoms were from peri.

You made a good call on not using that acupuncturist! "Once we accept it, things get easier" what a crock 😦 I've accepted it and it's not getting any easier. I've had the worst, most expensive year with it. I'll be 53 soon and I'm waiting for the nightmare to end!

• Edited

I have bouts of this symptom over the last few years of perimenopause. Just as you described, feeling pulse in head or when lying down feeling ear drum beating.

I believe it is linked to hormone fluctuations and have been looking into histamine recently. Apparently histamine is linked to estrogen levels. For me, this symptom seems linked with sinus pressure, and a full ear feeling in one ear. The histamine thing is interesting because it also affects digestive system, another common area many of us are having issues with.

Hope you have a better experience with your Doctor than I have, none of these symptoms are related to hormones according to every doctor I have seen over the years 😃

• Posted

Exactly, none of my symptoms have been related either, yet all testing comes back inconclusive.

Interesting that you've mentioned the histamine connection, I will definitely look into this. I read a bit somewhere else on this blog that someone had success with anti-histamines, so maybe worth a try and might clear up my dizzies lately. If there are any Arrested Development fans on this forum, they will appreciate "the dizzies".

Thank you for validating this symptom, it does really help with the worry and I feel like I can take on today a little less scared 😃

• Edited

I feel everything you just described, it feels as if I wrote it. I'm so glad I came across this post, I have tinnitus and also get whooshing in my left ear along with sinus pressure and ear fullness. All started with peri madness. But lately I feel tightness in my throat as if I'm chocking on food or something, it's a weird lump like feeling not sure if it's anxiety or indigestion. But what you said about histamine sure sounds interesting, it might be the symptoms I'm experiencing lately. My health anxiety is through the roof, every new symptom I get my mind is just goes crazy thinking of crazy things. I'm so glad to have you all, this forum is so helpful and brings peace of mind in chaotic Peri life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.