Pulse/whooshing in head with pressure.

Posted , 34 users are following.

I know about pulsatile tinnitus, and i do have "regular" tinnitus, but I'm hoping someone has had this feeling as well during the hormonal fluctuations. I'd like to believe that this sensation is another weird symptom in meno, rather than the descriptions online of what could be causing this pressure and pulse pound in my head. I seem to go through phases of it, so I'm hoping that's a good thing, but I'm in a bad spell right now and am fighting off the fear factor.

The best way to describe it is to hear my pulse in my ear, usually with head pressure/head feels full of air, and sometimes a dull headache at the base/back of my head. It can sometimes pound or "whoosh" quote loudly, and often most noticable when lying down. Almost like hearing an ultrasound machine on the womb. I'm seeing my Dr right before the holidays, but I'd like to know if others have experienced this as well. It's definitely activating my anxiety & I try really hard to breathe through that and divert my mind when its happening.

6 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

have you checked your blood pressure? peri makes mine inconsistantly high. magnisium helps.

• Posted

Yes I have - it's definitely not as low as it used to be, which was too low, but it's in the normal range. I have had spikes of higher pressure at times though, so a good reminder to maybe get back on my magnesium. This time I should track it to see if it is a part of this mystery. Thanks for the reminder about the magnesium connection for some of these issues.

• Posted

I meant to ask, has your doctor given you a Rx for high blood pressure or has it been so inconsistent that they have not identified it as an issue? I have definitely had spikes ans I feel like this might be a bit of the issue as well, maybe not high, but higher than I'm used to.

• Posted

they did. i was 130/95 sometimes 160/110 but i didnt take it. thank god i didnt because i was notified a year later that the medication causes cancer. i walk 2 miles a day, i take herbs known to lower blood pressure. there are many YOUTUBE videos on blood pressure. i believe high blood pressure is directly related to hormones. mine is back to normal but it took a fee years.

hang in there!

❤❤❤❤

• Posted

I have had the EXACT SAME THING, just as you describe it, for about 6 months now. There was a period in the beginning when it was very often, and now it is not so often. At the same time I discovered that my blood pressure rose ( I have always been super low), and my hot flashes go with it. It is almost like a rushing feeling in the head.

I saw neurologist and my primary care for this - and pretty much, since nothing was found, I decided I will try to ignore it as much as possible. And as I said, it did calm down somewhat - but I still get it. I also noticed that is in direct connection with my stress.

• Edited

i do not get the wooshing noises but i am worried about head pains (not headaches). They started in july just dull aches on the left hand side top of my head then sometimes it would be right hand side now they come and go but are sore feelings on top of my head and sometimes dull pains. I have seen two doctors who tell me it is due to menopause and also diagnosed under active thyroid. i am so worried about this they say nothing red flags them to send me for an MRI scan especially as i had an eye scan recently. i just feel that 5 months on it is not normal to have pains in the head almost daily. i think they know i am anxious and dismiss me. does anyone else get these weird head pains? it would be so reassuring if i felt i wasnt alone .

• Edited

My best friend has always been like me, with headaches and migraines, throughout out teens too. Since she has reached this magic age, she has been plagued with different headaches where she gets symptoms like she has never experienced before: spikes of pain through her head into her left eye, more migraines than usual, more headaches, bolts of pains etc. Different pains than the "usual".

I have experienced soreness on my head in certain areas during or after a headache or migraine. Tender spots that are sensitive to touch. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing but I don't think it's uncommon to amp up with headaches as the hormones do their thing at this stage. I'm waiting for that day when they stop. I've heard that many women see a decrease in migraines/headaches after menopause. Fingers crossed. Take care.

• Posted

hello jenny

I am 49 and was diagnosed with intractable migranes and i have been ok but these past few days i have been feeling head pain on my left side on the back where the base of the head and spine like right behind the ear . is like a dull /muscle quick /zap pain and comes and goes . i am not sure if it is hormones i just finished my weird period which came 14 days early. every time i go to the doctor they find nothing and i had a series of eeg, neck ultrasound , you name it. im sick of going to the doctors. if i move it certain way it kind of hurts.

• Posted

another super weird symptom to make you feel crazy! I just experienced this same thing fir the first time after going thru all these symptoms for almost 2 years now. I am so glad you posted b.c its another confirmation that all this crazy stuff really is hormones. TG for these boards or I would be committed by now.

• Edited

I'm very happy to have found this thread. I am 56 and started the "whooshing" in my left ear about 12 years ago! Back then, it only happened when I bent over (head lower than heart). It would come and go and over time I realized it was connected to my cycle. (further proof of hormonal connection). That was the very beginning of my "peri" journey and odd-ball symptoms that no one but the women who experience it believe it to be tied to hormones. I'm in the camp of the OP here and figure if it comes and goes it can't be terminal. Also, if it was something deadly going on in my brain, after 12 years I'd certainly be dead! Now here's the good news: My periods were once a month, super regular until I skipped 4 months. Got it. Skipped 4 again. Got it. And now have skipped 8 months. During these skipping months, I've had long stretches of no whooshing (and none of the associated head pressure, cotton-in-ears, dizzy, foggy brain) It recently has returned, worse than ever. (so maybe I'm going to get my period again soon??) Two nights this week where I woke at 4am with loud ultrasound-like pulse and AWFUL head pressure, --- like I was about to have a stroke! Last night I slept in a chair so as not to lay down and I woke with significantly less symptoms. Not a great night of sleep though! Along with this pounding head pressure, I also get very puffy bags under my eyes that aren't there when I don't have the pulsing head pressure and I get a bad migraine type headache (have had menstrual migraines since puberty- they stopped during each pregnancy) and that headache is centered at the base of my skull where my head connects to my neck. I put an ice pack there for relief.Anyone else notice the under eye bags and back of skull ache as part of this?

I feel much less alone having read other's experiences here. Thank you all for telling your story!!

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this. Mhornnj what you described is exactly what I'm feeling now. Whoosing in left ear has been going on for about 6 months now. Doctor prescribed ear drops and Claritin and none provide relief. Friday I had my the most horrible pain at the back of my left year followed by hot flush, high BP and rapid heart rate. Everything started feeling tight. I think anxiety kicked in and I felt like I was having a stroke or something. I went to urgent care and they took an EKG and all was fine. Fast forward today, Tuesday, AGAIN the same feelings. I'm just sitting doing online shopping and this started so I wasn't doing anything stressful. I'm at my wits end, I can't keep feeling like this and worrying about it all. Hormone blood work comes back fine and I feel like a crazy lady for having to come back again and again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.