Pulse/whooshing in head with pressure.

Posted , 34 users are following.

I know about pulsatile tinnitus, and i do have "regular" tinnitus, but I'm hoping someone has had this feeling as well during the hormonal fluctuations. I'd like to believe that this sensation is another weird symptom in meno, rather than the descriptions online of what could be causing this pressure and pulse pound in my head. I seem to go through phases of it, so I'm hoping that's a good thing, but I'm in a bad spell right now and am fighting off the fear factor.

The best way to describe it is to hear my pulse in my ear, usually with head pressure/head feels full of air, and sometimes a dull headache at the base/back of my head. It can sometimes pound or "whoosh" quote loudly, and often most noticable when lying down. Almost like hearing an ultrasound machine on the womb. I'm seeing my Dr right before the holidays, but I'd like to know if others have experienced this as well. It's definitely activating my anxiety & I try really hard to breathe through that and divert my mind when its happening.

6 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

The same happens to me, not every day but around the end of every month i get a dull pain, a feeling of fullness in my ears.

That added to the rest of the ever changing vague symptoms is keeping me in an state of constant anxiety .

• Edited

hi i am sorry to hear. Only like a couple months ago i have been experiencing this pulsating beat in my right ear. i have been on a google rampage and its not nice to be freaked out but i am.

what i have been reading is that while having the whooshing sound, press against the front vein in your neck and if it stops its venous related.

i have tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it dont but only when lying down. i dont know how serious this would mean.

i have also been trying olive oil in my ear.

Not sure if its wax build up either.

Hoping this goes and im ok.

i wish you too feel better.

let me know how it goes.

• Edited

Hello, I completely understand and know excatly how you feel. I am going through Perimenopause and it has been now 6 months with no periods, and tinnitus came on pretty much in July, 2021. Its definitely annoying and frustrating to say the least. I find it debilitating and would rather have my periods than to go through these awful Perimenopause symptoms. I hope that once Perimenopause is over that tinnitus will subside completely and the random headaches. I hope you're feeling or finding ways to relieve tinnitus. Hang in there too all you Ladies going through this and stay positive.

• Edited

Good to know that I'm not the only one who wants her period back! Lol! I think I would at least feel like my normal self... I'm currently on a spell without it, 80 days past my period due date, and I'm going through a dreadful bout of GERD-like symptoms, pressure at the front of my neck (thyroid testing underway), loud tinnitus, and air hunger. Not to mention that I have gained more weight than ever, including my two pregnancies! I've never gained weight like this - I've been incredibly fortunate to eat what I want and have no issues & now I barely eat (due to full feeling/) yet see that scale climbing weekly! Well, back to the forums I come for that reassurance that I get reading others' posts. Hopefully we can move through this and feel magically better soon! 😃

• Posted

hi

how are your headaches, is there any improvement after skipping periods???

• Edited

This is so reassuring to read. I have had noises in my head for last month or so. Doesn't seem to bother me through the day or i just don't notice it. Made worse by noises like tumble dryer etc. Feels like buzz but not in my ear. Hadn't realised tinnitus was ear/head. Haven't had period for since early December and have different symptoms everyday. Headaches, back ache , leg ache, digestive problems, sore gums, cold sores. Had no idea what peri had instore for me!

• Edited

Hello I wondered if you ever found an answer to your problem or if anything has shown up on tests? I am experiencing the exact same thing you are describing from the lying down whishing sound to the head issues.

• Edited

I also wanted to add I am in menopause. Ringing ears, swooshing sound when I lay down , head pressure like extreme along with headaches. I felt somewhat less alone reading your post so if you happen to see this and care to give an update I would love to hear how things are going with you.

• Edited

Tests:

carotid arteries ultrasound

MRI scan (found some white lesions on a part of my brain however they were considered to be a mild abnormality that is not uncommon for someone my age - 52)

I believe this is a form of tinnitus. And the head pressure and dizziness is hormone related.

I have had weeks/months long reprieve over the past year so when it came back recently, I wasn't so concerned.

Take care 😃

• Edited

hi Clarissa, how r u now??? im in the same boat, extreme head pressure, migraine with aura n tinnitus my leaf side is effected since last year. its deliberating.

• Posted

I go through phases when I lie down and get that swoosh but I had a cartoid artery scan which showed some mild plaque. My doctor felt it was normal for my age. I believe it might be hormonally related and I am trying estrogen to help. I also check my blood pressure because to me, it felt like it had to be skyrocketing. It was slightly elevated but not enough to explain the swoosh. I still have tinitus but I think that is just permanent.

• Edited

i get this too! recently it has all come on over the last four weeks. internal shakiness too along with head pressure, dizziness and fatigue. im 53, been having hot flushes three years. How quickly did your come on? i hope youre over the worst by now.

• Edited

If you find any answers can you post an update. I also get that internal shakiness you mention, the head pressure, dizziness and fatigue. I am also your age.

• Posted

Hello! Sorry, I haven't been back on this site for some time. I had a break from the whooshing tinnitus and head/ear pressure, so I am positive that it was hormone fluctuations or drops/surges that cause them. I do believe exacerbated by stress/worry. My theory is that stress was something that my body always handled - now with hormone depletion and changes, my body can no longer rely on those calming effects & it just cannot cope the same. With all of the physical issues cropping up, my anxiety and stress creates more issues - and so the vicious cycle goes round! I've been at this for around 10 years now, so Ive had pretty much everything strange/odd/scary, under the sun. I am still here! Do I worry about the possibility of terminal diseases, given how absolutely horrid and scared Ive felt? Yes, however when these things eventually fade, or I get a reprieve, I trust that I will be okay. Sometimes they come back, and I have to remind myself that I've been through this before and I will be okay. I've had lots of bizarre things happen to my body over the past decade - and it took years for me to consider peri-menopause as the culprit. It took a little longer for me to them BELIEVE that it was actually a hormone (hormone/stress/anxiety) issue. When I found this forum, I was shocked and relieved to see that others experienced some of the most bizarre symptoms that I was experiencing! It was so helpful to me!!!

I will copy & paste this reply to the others who have sought an update from me on this subject. I shouldn't take so long to come back here, but life gets busy sometimes...or I'm going through a calmer spell!

A bit about me:

52 yrs old (a relatively young 52...despite my aching body!)

Last period was July 2022

Before that, the periods were having longer breaks between them, and/or shorter!

Hot flashes were never an issue for me until the periods started having longer breaks in between. In 2020 I had my first foray into hot flashes (likely stress from covid as it started right around lockdown time). Then they went away after about 3 months. I just started having doozy hot flashes in the fall of 2022 & they are still happening. They are curious beasts!

I have just started to gain weight in the last year + as well. Have never been overweight in my life! 20 lbs on me over the last 2+ years. I'm only 5'3" and a thin frame....not so much anymore! I just downloaded a Galvasten Diet audiobook to see what this particular menopause doctor has to say about how to battle the bulge. I also am trying to be very kind to myself about this - my body is going through a lot and I am not hating on this new shape...but do want to try and get myself back to where I feel like me again.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (something I would never dream of being diagnosed with!), along with degenerative disc disease and arthritis (not entirely uncommon as we age). My system reacts to and feels pain far more intensely than most of my adult life so far. It's sadly the new norm. I have also had a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, however my Rheumatologist is not 100% convinced of this other doctor's diagnosis.

In any event - this year I hope to get a handle on my physical health.

How I cope (things I've done to help myself):

Meditation app to help me sleep (poor sleeper)

Massage

Physio

Acupuncture

Naturopathic Dr.

Try to do yoga when I can!

See a registered therapist

I don't watch the news

Starting art classes soon & also a walking/walk to run class.

Try and stay away from caffeine (but I'm weak!)

Supplements

Ocean walks 😃

Take care everyone! Try to remind yourself to take each day as it comes & focus on the good stuff (I know sometimes it gets hard). I'd give the advice of my favourite saying, this too shall pass, but realistically, something new often crops up to take its place, lol!!! That's horrible menopause humour 😉

J

• Posted

I see that I didn't answer your question in my huge reply!

i don't recall how quickly it came on, but was the worst when it started...around 5-6 years ago. I have always had tinnitus, since puberty, but this was a little spooky and I thought up all sorts of dastardly things that could be causing it, from high blood pressure, to blockages in my neck/arteries, tumours, you name it!

Apparently it's hormones!

It stayed with me for quite some time, but I have had breaks from it recently. I just had it come back a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't get as bad and isn't bothering me terribly now. At least I cant hear it through my screeching tinnitus! 😄

Dizziness, fatigue & internal tremors - have had them all. Internal tremors were an earlier issue for me - back in my early/mid 40's. I'm 52 now. Dizziness I get sporadically now - it seems like I'm often spouting off about being dizzy when i get up or turn around in the kitchen or random days/times. I don't fret about that too much now.

i hope you get a reprieve soon - take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.