Puncturing a sebaceous cyst

Posted , 17 users are following.

Can anyone advise if there are any major side effects of puncturing and thoroughly cleaning out a cyst hygienically?

I've heard that this would most likely refill in time but I could live with that. I have one on the top of my head and am very concious of it but for cosmetic reasons I'm scared of having it cut out and being left with a large scar. :roll:

Please let me know your experience. Thank you.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I saw a GP about a cyst under my chin and he said that it's cosmetic and I couldn't have it treated by the NHS. I could only come back for anti biotics if it became inflammed. If I wanted it removed it would cost £1000! So I should shop around-incredible. He went on to say that it's a simple procedure that he himself could carry out under local anaesthetic... salt in that wound. It's defo bigger and a little sore as I have to shave over it but have been given very little advice and options to treat it. I think that I went to a GP with little compassion. If you look ok then move along so they can ship you in and ship you out.
  • Edited

re refusal to remove cysts by NHS for cosmetic reasons.

Tell your GP / Consultant it hurts to wear your crash helmet , site safety hard or headphones etc. It's no longer cosmetic but a practical problem then. It worked for me.

• Posted

do they shave your hair when they remove the cysts? i have one on the top of my head and im afraid of how ill look with a huge hole where the hair wont cover it.
    • Posted

I have had 6 taken out on my head over the years, 2 privately and 4 on the NHS. I don't go back to the NHS or my Doctor anymore. I just use a cosmetic surgeon direct . Two of my children use him for this too. 

If you have it done privately then no because they know if you ask them that and the answer is yes, then your piece if work has just gone out of the window.  They are jobbing tradesmen,  a reputation for not being able to do without shaving a hole in your head would rule out any stage performer or high profile person.

If it's on the NHS then it was a yes 10 years ago but ask the consultant when you see them prior to it being done. Cancel if you're unhappy !

I've had around 10 or 12 out here and there. No big deal, half our in there tops,  then back to work. 

• Posted

I have had them removed and yes it is mostly considered elective. I found it not to be very painful BUT hair doesn't seem to grown back in that area so depending on where they are and how many, something to consider. I currenlty have 2 but I haven't reached that point of wanting another bald spot even small ones.
  • Posted

I asked my doctor if she could remove one just like that, right on my head. She gave me a song and dance and said it wasnt ready to be lanced. She said to put a warm compress on it on and off for a few days 20 mins on 20 mins off and it should burst on its own. Well I did that but it didn't happen the way she said. I ended up with a scab, the skin had peeled but nothing came out. So I got annoyed and after washing my hair I pulled the scab off...that's when the fun started .😝I ended up pulling the sac and all out on my own (sterilized tweezers) sofar so good it didn't hurt me at all but I have a high tolerance for pain. If it freaks you out follow those instructions then see your doctor once you think it's ready they can do the rest.
  • Posted

i have these cyst's on my pubic area and its not fun, does anyone know of an antibiotic that will make them go away, one poped while i layed in bed and its bleeding alot. i tried to get the sack out so more wouldnt grow. is there a medication for this?
    • Posted

I would visit your doctor, i was given antibiotics and they did help. Im sure they can give you some good advice about the area the cyst is located. Keep it clean and dry til you're able to visit the doctor however, you dont want an infection.
  • Posted

I live in the States and had had two pilar cysts (probbaly what you mean) on my scalp for forty years.  I was so fearful to have them examined as I had always had a very lush full head of hair.  Finally though, the two cysts became unbearable.  They grew and throbbed and I couldn't even rest my head or comb my hair properly. 

I have cut my own hair for forty years as I was too embarrased to go to a hair dresser.

I finally had the bloody things cut out by a plastic surgeon a few days ago.

She did not cut my hair.  In fact, owing to her intervention, my hair is growing in again in those spots.

She removed the cysts entirely, sacs and all to hopefully prevent them from ever coming back.  She stapled the wounds and the staples will come out on Friday, about 9 days after the surgery.

This is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

By the way, it was covered by my insurance as the cysts interferred witth my day to day regimen; washing, drying, and combing hair. 

Go to  a plastic  surgeon.

• Edited

I had 5 cysts on my head, 2 very small ones that are hardly noticeable, 1 medium sized and 2 large ones that drove me crazy!! I tried to see a doctor once for them and no luck so two years later, took matters into my own hands bc they were getting bigger.

I first cut the medium sized one with a razor blade (exacto knife) and nothing happened. Once it started to heal, it itched so I pulled the skin off and I started to squeeze it and a bunch of puss came out and it was flat and I didn't think about it again until today bc it started getting bigger again. I wasn't aware there are sacs so I never got it out. Today I cut it with an exacto knife and nothing. I pierced it with a needle and nothing but it is small so I don't think there's much puss in there, probably just the sac and I'm just going to leave it.

The next one I decided to go after was huge and the hair on my head where it was had disappeared so it was really starting to show and cause me issues. One day I poked it with a needle and squeezed and squeezed with no luck. The next day or a 2 days later at most, it was itching and I went and looked in the mirror and it was dark in color so I squeezed it and it EXPLODED EVERYWHERE, Gross I know but there was no smell, just disgusting blood and puss and I kept squeezing and squeezing to get it all out and finally I felt a "POP!" and I looked and it was the sac that had popped out! The wound healed on its own and the cyst is completely gone and the spot is now flat (bald too, unfortunately).

So now the other large cyst has been growing bigger and I poked it with a needle and nothing, waited a few days and it was still hard and nothing happening so I poked it again and squeezed, nothing. So then I got an exacto knife and poked into it deep but didn't cut a line as I did with the medium cyst (this seems to work better!) and it exploded immediately and I got a bunch of stuff out of it but the sac isn't popping out like it did with the last one and I can feel it in there still. I think I'll wait until tomorrow and squeeze again and I have a feeling it'll come out. Luckily I didn't lose hair on this cyst and just getting all that nasty stuff out makes me feel better bc it's not a huge bump! Again, no smell (thankfully!!!) with it as I've seen others say.

Just keep everything clean if you do it yourself. I didn't have any pain while doing any of this, just a little afterwards where I made an actual cut with the knife rather than a puncture but when I simply punctured, no pain afterwards.

• Edited

It' s almost like they challenge you ! I have done that too. Sometimes a probe deeper amd you find other smallerr ones. Even the surgeons miss them sometimes..

The white stuff is probably sebum oil collected through the walls, not puss. Its the faulty cell wall that allows this to collect.

If you traumatise the skin at the site where you are removing them it can cause a reoccurance as other tissue goes faulty. Problem is once your minds made up ! your going to do it.

• Edited

That is exactly it! I got tired of it, asked my doctor she's like oh that's fine and if we remove it, ittle hurt best to leave it. I'm like I don't care about pain just help me! Nope she couldn't be bothered so I did it myself. I didn't puncture mine though, I used a heating pad on and off on the site for like 3 days and it itched alot but there was a scab and I pulled it off and out came the yuck no smell though. I used sterilized tweezers and pulled out the sack and any left over coating and that was it. Zero pain.. doctors underestimate determination.

• Posted

Take it from a pensioner.  Don't do this.  Go to a doctor.

• Posted

I did it, I kept it clean and dry and the hair is growing back in that spot, finally going for a proper hair cut without feeling selfconscious about having a huge lump on my head. I'm not saying this idea is for everyone, mine was under my hair on my head so if it scars I don't care. However if it's on your body somewhere else and you are already freaking out at the thought of needles and pain then a doctor is the way to go. I have a high tolerance for pain as it is and I was tired of my doctors giving me the runaround so I did it. Consider your options and think carefully is all I'm going to say. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it might work for someone else.

• Posted

Was it at all painful though? Bc mine is very painfull i know i have to pull out a sac but it hurts. I have one right on my bottom right cheek, i hate it i have a big hole and a smaller one beside it. It keeps oozing pus and blood but its not ass swollen since it has ruptured.. Is it necessary for me to go to the doc? Or will it heal on it own if i dont touch it anymore?
    • Edited

I have a high tolerance for pain, I think that it must have hurt I just went on through it and ignored it. If it's too much for you, not saying anyone should suffer through any pain, and your worried you should go to your doctor and have it checked out. Sometimes it's better to get a doctor's help with things. I'm stubborn and nuts so I did it myself. I cleaned the wound and kept it dry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.