Puncturing a sebaceous cyst

Posted , 17 users are following.

Can anyone advise if there are any major side effects of puncturing and thoroughly cleaning out a cyst hygienically?

I've heard that this would most likely refill in time but I could live with that. I have one on the top of my head and am very concious of it but for cosmetic reasons I'm scared of having it cut out and being left with a large scar. :roll:

Please let me know your experience. Thank you.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey guys, I'm 15 years old. I have a cyst under my ear/jaw and I've had it since I can remember. I am terrified of needles and medical procedures. I want to talk to a doctor but I don't want to have it removed because I'm scared. Help?!?

• Posted

Hey abbyluoboo,

We have to deal with the fear which for me, was bigger than all the cysts put together !

But for now, are you at the point it's bothering you everyday or just now and then. Does it embarrass you ?

• Posted

It's a little smaller then a penny and very noticeable, so yes, it's a little embarrassing! It hurts if I play with it or accidentally hit it on something.

• Posted

Yes I expect it will hurt if you knock, it's unlikely the cyst is hurting its probably the layer between that and your jaw getting bruised .

So, I'm assuming you want it gone it has to go but the fear of having it done is standing in your way. Is that right ?

• Posted

It's between my jawline and earlobe if that makes sense, so there's notging irritating it, it's just large bad weird looking. I am scared to get it removed, yes.

• Posted

OK,

Fear is an important mechanism. a part of you which is there to keep you safe. Without fear we could all just walk out in front of cars sit down on fires without a thought. Fear is a good thing. But not this time. Your mind has produced too

much fear. Why? Because it doesn't know enough about this whole issue . The only way the fear will go is by you satisfying yourself it's OK to have it don and I think that's why you posted here.

Your fear is in two categories

a( You haven't yet got enough knowledge about this thing on your Jaw and lls scary having this odd bit of you growing out there. Based on the present you're forecasting the future and its upsetting you.

b) fear of what will happen

if you hand control of your safety and welfare over to a person who might cause you pain.

Are there any other fears in there Abbeylouboo ?

• Posted

It's just the pain! I get nauseous thinking about myself and others getting shots, surgery, etc. When I got my nose pierced I almost passed out due to genetics and howy body is. It didn't even just that much sorted, my body went into shock.

• Posted

Are you going to use the same arrangement to get this removed as you did you're piercings ? That wouldn't work.

In a medical procedure you would be given a local anaesthetic. You don't feel any pain at all ! You can't even feel if they are doing anything, it's all numb. By the time you've got into a conversation about you pets cats etc it's all over.

Whilst it's being removed they need to also object adrenalin. That supresses the localised bleeding so they can see what they're doing.

The piercing people won't have the local anesthetic or the adrenalin.

• Posted

I know they aren't the same but I'm just bad with pain in general. Thanks for the info smile I'll see what the doctors say

• Posted

Good ! I'm glad you've found the courage to do that. Well done. Come back afterwards and tell us how you get on.

• Posted

Bit of an old discussion I know, but just wanted to add my bit smile

I had a sebaceous cyst on my cheek. Doc said they wouldn't remove it as it was cosmetic and it didn't look bad etc. it did. Was about the size of a 20p piece. Anyway I decided last week I'd had enough of it after two years. I couldn't squeeze anything out of it so I poked a massive hole in it with a sharp implement for popping spots and started to squeeze. White stuff squirted out and I was thrilled. Couldn't manage to get the sac out so I thought "don't worry, it's went quite flat now & I can re-squeeze it again in the future when it refills. Oh how wrong I was. A week later (today) and I woke up noticing it had a slightly bruised look to it and had filled up again. But this time it was hard, not squidgy. By this afternoon, my whole cheek had swelled up, it was purple and sore. I gently squeezed it and bloody pus came out so I rang 111 and got a doctors appointment where they gave me antibiotics. It's huge and very sore sad

• Posted

Oh man! I hope everything turns out ok! I was worried something like that would happen to me too but I got lucky. I'm sorry it went wrong for you.

• Posted

Was my own fault lol. However I think they should have cut it out in the first place but noooo they wouldn't. All to save money x

• Posted

I hear ya! It's all about what they want, I could have sworn it was supposed to be about the patient. Doctors suck

• Posted

Have a warm compress on it for 20 minutes on and off and see if it bursts on it's own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.