Puncturing a sebaceous cyst

Posted , 17 users are following.

Can anyone advise if there are any major side effects of puncturing and thoroughly cleaning out a cyst hygienically?

I've heard that this would most likely refill in time but I could live with that. I have one on the top of my head and am very concious of it but for cosmetic reasons I'm scared of having it cut out and being left with a large scar. :roll:

Please let me know your experience. Thank you.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had a pilar cyst on the side of my head for months. It's been growing recently and my family is slightly horrified, so this morning I went into the bathroom and bit down on a towel and stuck a sterilized razor knife blade all the way in (hardly any resistance at all) and sliced....no pain!! Well, maybe a 1 on a 1-10 scale. It wept a little of its cystish juice, so I gave a good squeeze and a slimy solid lump the size of 2 pencil erasers popped into my hand. Most would be horrified, I think, but I was thrilled. My girlfriend (God bless her, she was grossed out) grabbed what little was left with a tweezers. All I have now is a shallow hole. I cleaned it well with hydrogen peroxide and am leaving it to air dry in the humid Illinois summer. I now plan to get a haircut since I don't need the extra hair to hide my 'shameful lump'. I hope it stays away, if not, I'll slice again. Good luck to all.

• Posted

I have had my cysts removed (3 of them) and the scar cannot even be felt or seen. Sometimes cyst gets infected as mine had done last night and since a hole got created I had managed to squeeze out the sack as well. If it doesn't heal and you get redness around it, then simple antibiotics prescribed by your GP would solve it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.