Pvd (posterior vitreous detachment)

Posted , 55 users are following.

Interested in hearing peoples symptoms and experiances with this. I had pvd of the left eye and sure enough 6 months later,right eye. Having problems dealing with it. When both eyes are affected,hard not to think of it 24/7. Would like to hear others stories. Thanks.

3 likes, 244 replies

244 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi all, Im here because at the beginning od the week my 19 year old daughter complained of a slither affect in her right eye. Spoke to opticians said she needed seeing that day but no opticians could fit her in so had to take her to A and E. Said all looked ok but she had to go to opthamology following day (yesterday). Was told she has PVD right eye gel totally detached and its detaching in left eye. No explanation as to why, what to expect, long term prognosis or anything. She broke down in tears and he just gave her a leaflet and sent her on her way. She is also hearing impaired so you can imagine the devestation, hearing impaired, 19 years of age and now PVD. She is also a Graphic Designer, doing a job she has dreamt of from being a little girl. ,my daughter spent 2 hours litterally sobbing like a baby last night (cuts me up seeing her like this). Any information anyone can give would be very much appreciated. Will she lose her sight, go blind? We have no answers or explanation why its happened at such a very young age. Thank you 
    • Edited

As long as your daughter had it checked out and they said it was PVD then she will be fine.  You just want to makes sure that it is not a retinal detachment. The flashing is the vitreous detaching and will continue to flash until  it is complete.  It is quite common for the second wyw to do the same.   It is mostly due to aging, but it does not mean it can not happen in the younger.

It is quite scary when you do not know what is happening.  Mine happened in my right eye last April, and I still have a weird kind of filmy thing pass over several times a day.

She will be fine...and she will not lose her sight from a PVD,   If she noticed a curtain of floaters or a black area, please take her back to the doctors as that could be a retinal detachment.

She should have it checked in  a couple of weeks to make sure it has completely detached.  

She will be fine

• Posted

Also being near sighted, you are proned to this also
  • Posted

As long as your daughter had it checked out and they said it was PVD then she will be fine.  You just want to makes sure that it is not a retinal detachment. The flashing is the vitreous detaching and will continue to flash until  it is complete.  It is quite common for the second wyw to do the same.   It is mostly due to aging, but it does not mean it can not happen in the younger.

It is quite scary when you do not know what is happening.  Mine happened in my right eye last April, and I still have a weird kind of filmy thing pass over several times a day.

She will be fine...and she will not lose her sight from a PVD,   If she noticed a curtain of floaters or a black area, please take her back to the doctors as that could be a retinal detachment.

She should have it checked in  a couple of weeks to make sure it has completely detached.  

She will be fine

• Posted

Sorry lee, that was not meant for you
  • Posted

Also being near sighted, you are proned to this also
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with this 3 weeks ago. I was seeing flashing lights to the side of my right eye plus what I understand to be floaters and it is like I am looking through a smudge on my glasses with a haze in my centre vision. I am 70 years old and have been very myopic from age 10. My prescription is around -8.5 in both eyes. About 5 years ago my optician was slightly worried about my eyes and referred me to Moorfields; the doctor told me that there was nothing wrong at that time but to avoid sports such as boxing due to the risk of retinal detachment. He also said to come straight back if I started seeing flashing lights.

What is confusing me most is that nobody of my friends has ever heard of PVD, despite the RNIB website stating that most older people get it at some time. Their website also states that it should correct itself within a few weeks or months, possibly 6 months.

I am particularly worried because I am also a glaucoma suspect. As a layman, it would seem to me that there is a correlation between PVD and glaucoma. But again the internet says there is not.

Any comments please.

• Posted

Pensioner 47

You should write down your questions, concerns, and make appointment to see eye doctor again to explain

everything to you clearly. If your PVD detaches "completely" there should be no problem. If it hasn't detached completely you need to know this. He will tell you that If you get a dark cloud or veil beginning to cover your vision you need to call the eye doctor immediately, or go to Emergency and request eye doctor there and tell them the dark veil is warning of emergency.  Having our questions answered "clearly" by the eye doctor can save people a lot of unnecessary stress worrying about what may or may not happen.

Don't be afraid to ask for clear explanations of what is happening and if the PVD is complete (good) or incomplete which could still be good or could cause complications such a tear in retina which can be lazered by eye doctor, or a retinal detachment as long as they get it early. Otherwise you would need surgery. 

• Posted

Annie,Thank you for your helpful reply. It is in line with my current thinking. Since my previous post I have been discharged by the vitreo-retinal clinic at Moorfields; they have reassured that the PVD will clear by itself. I am still under the glaucoma clinic (also at Moorfields) but they are now telling me that there is no evidence of glaucoma. My plan is to wait until the end of April (i.e. when the 6 months will be up) and then go to my optician for advice regarding the next steps; even if this means going privately somewhere. However, if the situation deteriorates in the meantime I will go to A&E at Moorfields.

• Posted

Hi Pensioner

Have just read one of your old PVD posts. How are you now?

I really hope you have had no further trouble.

• Posted

What I want to know is how everyone does with working and driving. Its only day 4 for me and I am walking into walls and i get headaches. i just completed my second degree (i was an LPN for 30 years and just completed my RN). I've had cataract surgery and this happened in my left eye. The "film" looks like I am looking through extremely frosted glass...then i have the cobweb floaters. i am so depressed because i can't see to drive or to even look for a job.

• Posted

Karol, I am sorry to read about your symptoms. What you describe is far worse than usual PVD effects. I have had my PVD for almost 5 months and it has not impacted my day to day life. My worst symptom is the slight haze in certain parts of my vision; but this is no worse than smears on my glasses. I also have one large floater and see flashes sometimes at night. I have no problem driving, and would have no problem working if I were not retired already. I assume you will be returning to your doctor/hospital soon for help. I hope they are helpful.

NB This is actually in reply to Karol1211's post on 21/3/18.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick reply. Like I said this is only day 4 for me and my doctor said it will take weeks to a couple of months to clear up. If it doesn't he suggested a Vitreous Surgery. He wants me to wait the weeks/months to see if it will clear up. I am 52 and really don't have the time to just wait around. I have a student loan to pay and the Care/Credit loan for the cataract surgery. This couldn't have happened at a more opportune time. (excuse my sarcasm) I literally just graduated and received my nursing license last month. I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself but I really am afraid that somehow this will end up permanent.

• Posted

karol how are your floaters? Have your symptoms gotten better?

• Posted

I have floaters for many years, those annoying ones like worms and black spots, worse looking into more bright light. Very annoying, but didn't affect my vision. But just over 2 years ago I woke with a blurred patch in my left eye that did move, but always seemed to be in an annoying place. At first I thought it was an issue with something in my(outer) eye and kept rubbing and ended up making it quite sore. I was quite worried, thinking it could be a retinal detachment as this was quite sudden and different, and so had it checked at the opticians. After a good check up, I was reassured it was a PVD and given a leaflet. It actually took almost 2 years to be not a nuisance. Then last week, the same thing happened in my right eye, only this time it seems bigger and much more annoying. I just can't read easily, focus on people or the TV/computer etc. At my regular eye test earlier this year, the optician there almost laughed at me when I mentioned the original one. Do you always go and get them checked out, I don't want to be laughed at again?

• Posted

Please go and get your second eye checked  There was no need for your optician to laugh at you. What is wrong with that person.?????That really annoys me.   My  eye doctor always tells me if there is anything that is new or changed to just call and come in.  She told me that even though it is  PVD,  it can still become a retinal issue.   Actually y eye doctor loves in my subdivision,and she told me if every I have a concern, to just come knock on her door.  

My first PVD was April 17. I was taken in immediately, and went through the testing and it was confirmed.  I then went back about 2-3 weeks later to makes sure the vitreous had completely detached.   I still have alot of floaters, and  a kinda film that is translucient that moves over that eye.  She told me that the other eye will probably so the same thing within the year.

To the day one year later, my other eye did.  Again I was taken in immediately in to have it checked.  All was the same, and went back  a couple of weeks later for a recheck.   My second eye has a very large floater compared to the first eye, and it drives me nuts. 

I was told that age, being female, being near sighted  are all reasons for this nasty experience

Really annnoying!!!!!!   

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. The first optician was pretty good and did a full check. She actually saw that my pressures were on the high side too, but at a second reading after the exam it had dropped a little, but still a bit high. With the second optician(20 months later) at my regular eye exam, he did do a good exam due to the still raised pressures, so I can't complain about that side. I was just a bit embarrassed about the little laugh and side look at me saying 'everyone gets them'. I just said I knew that about the normal floaters, but not this kind. By the way, the pressure levels are just under the levels now needed here in the UK for being referred for further investigations. Had it been a few months earlier I would have been referred. It was actually quite a coincidence as my husband has glaucoma. I will have to think about going and getting the floater checked though as I just presumed it would be the same as before.

• Posted

Oh, and yes, it will be age and being female with me too, very annoying as you said. This floater seems to me to be the size of a penny, though obviously I know it isn't.

• Posted

I have constant semi clear floaters that move across my eyes.  They seems darker if I look up to the sky.

My right eye started April 2017, and my left eye April 2018.

Still have floaters in my right eye, and it has been 15 months.   The left eye has been only 3 months, but it is a huge floater     Grrrr........

• Posted

I empathise, they are extremely annoying. Just like my glasses are smeary all the time. I have cleaned my glasses so much these last couple of days since this second one appeared, to no avail of course. All I can think of it is another 18 months or so till my brain has adjusted again. I wish they had something simple they could do but...! I still have all the other odd little floaters, some look like bacteria floating around, but nothing as annoying as these. Ah well.
    • Posted

I know it has been awhile since this thread has been active. I am wondering if anyone else has had an experience of a PVD that has taken over a year to release? Do they ever not release?

My husband has been suffering for over a year with a PVD only partially releasing. From what the Doc is telling us, the part that is not releasing is warping his retina as it pulls on it.....this results in his field of vision being grossly different between his two eyes as the spot is directly in his center vision. The result is he has no depth of field and objects appear at vastly different degrees of closeness for his two eyes. The distorted vision causes him great nausea, and make it challenging for him to even walk over uneven ground. Over the last year he has gone from an outdoor oriented, active man to one almost unable to leave the house due to the nauseousness and distorted vision. Add to that floaters and a beginning cataract.

We live in a rural area and finding medical specialty services is a challenge. We have seen both our physician and our eye doctor and are still being told to wait it out.

• Posted

hi Selchie

so sorry to hear about your husband. I too have pvd (diagnosed 6 weeks ago - going back for check Monday). I can relate to everything on this really helpful forum. The anxiety, oily film, moving blobs etc. Like your husband, I also experience the nausea - terrible. Im surprised no one else has commented that they do? Really hoping it passes, along with all the other symptoms. However, it seems for some it takes a long time.

• Posted

selchie, i had a partial pvd 2 years ago with traction where there was still adhesion. then 3 days ago without warning flashing started again in the periphery of that eye, followed by black floaters and the dreaded weiss ring...huge central vision thing that is wispy and swings back and forth. getting on OCT again tomorrow to see if PVD is now complete and traction is gone. i had no symptoms with the traction, but i think I was lucky. wondering now how long for my current flashes to last. in my other eye it took months for them to subside.no fun.

• Posted

I'm curious how things are going for your husband. Has pvd completed? Are symptoms any better?

• Posted

did they finally subside after all those months? Do you still have floaters?

• Posted

hi there. the flashing subsided but i have a permanent Weiss ring central vision. eventually brain begins to tune floaters out. so yes, better than it was.

• Posted

Hi Dianne

i am some 9 months in to my initial diagnosis of PVD. I would say that I still think about eyes almost everyday at some stage, but not nearly as much as in the early days. Some days are better than others also. I notice the large(ish) black floater (Weiss ring) much less, and some days hardly/not at all (I think?), so definately your brain starts t 'tune out' from this. What I still get though is this oily smudge tpe thing I hear others talk about. I do hope over time that goes / gets less noticable. Perhaps the vitreous gel, as it breaks up an gets more watery gets less noticeable (hope so). I am also convinced that one eye is worse than the other (when I cover one eye with hand and test visoin that way etc). It seems like it is just not as clear, presumably due to seeing through all the debris from the break up of the vitreous substance. I got told I had PVD in both eyes, yet with one (my left) am not aware of anything different at all (wonder if this is normal). In fact, would never have gone to seek help with left eye - just the right eyes when I became aware of large floater. Guess its old age eh? Although, me like a lot of others on this forum am surprised that there are not more people aware of this condition if it is as common as we keep getting told. It must happen to a lot of people who ether never realise whats happening / happened, or just so mild it is not noticable?

• Posted

Matt, thanks for the reply. I think its great that you don't feel the symptoms as bad in your left eye as you do your right eye. And also, I'm happy to hear that you are not as stressed about your pvd symptoms as you were in the beginning. I'm 4 months in to my pvd diagnosis and they are pretty bad most days. You're right though some days are worse than others. For me the dots and squiggly lines are not trouble at all. Its the big blobs that circle around, back and forth that are most debilitating. I am hoping for some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.