Question about chest pain...

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I had a post about a month ago that talked about some chest pain that I was having due to stress/BE ...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/getting-a-little-worried--569058

I am still having those pains mostly after either I over eat, or eat something fatty. Are flair ups normal to last this long, or should I be talking to my doctor because this might be something else.

I need to go in for a scope this year (this will be my 2nd one), but can't do it until I get my tax refund neutral

Last time I talked to my doctor he didn't seemed concerned but since I am a newish patient of his I worry that he took my chest pains as a typical acid reflux pain that I felt only a couple minutes in a day instead of most of the day

Help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Over eating, stress and fatty foods will certainly kick up the pain associated with BE/GERD. Eating late (after 18:00) is another sure pain inducer.

Chest pain is def a symptom of reflux disease and it simply sounds like you need proper treatment. I rarely get chest/sternum pain unless I slack on the meds.

Reducing your stress and modifying your diet will do you well, along with a good acid reducer or PPI.

• Posted

For the most part I am eating well. That is what is so weird. I am also on 40mg of Omeprazole. I try to stay away from acid foods (although sometimes the wife doesn't help in that area). In fact I have lost 28 lbs since Jan 1st. Stress is likely the biggest thing here as I am constantly working (can't do anything for another month or so because of contracts sad )

I will just have to do much better on my eating and when my wife suggests we go get fast food because she doesn't want to cook, just get whatever for them and make something for myself that isn't fatty and try my hardest to reduce my stress while I work. lol

Thanks.

• Posted

"Acid foods" don't make a difference. What we eat is not so important as how we eat (although, of course, we shoud all eat healthily) .

Foods do not produce acid hypersecretion nor reflux. The former is controlled by the brain, the latter exacerbated by malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter. For those of us with Barrett's, that is most likely due to a hiatus hernia.

(Those with a normal sphincter may find some relaxation from drugs like caffeine and alcohol but research has shown these have no effect on oesophagitis, ulceration nor Barrett's. )

You only need to avoid foods you have identified as a particular trigger for you.

Do eat smaller portions - little and often. Do eat slowly, chewing well and keeping your body upright. Don't indulge in any exercise that compresses, tilts or shakes the stomach whilst it is full. Do leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed.

Easier said than done but try and find some way to reduce the stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.