Question on 1st few days after TURP surgery...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm trying to understand if it is practical for someone who's just had a bipolar TURP to ride in a car 48 hours after the procedure for several hours. I assume the Foley would be out within 24 hours if not before I left the surgical facility. Basically, I'm looking at having the procedure done on a Wednesday and getting in a car (not driving, just riding) mid-day Friday to travel 4 hours. Sound doable?

Yes, I know I should follow my surgeon's advice which I haven't received yet. Just interested in what you all have experienced.

Thanks

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

man based on what i been through the past 7 days i say it would be CRAZY for anyone that had any prostate procedure to get in a car for a ride even close to that today, day 7 was my first trip out for just 2 hours

• Posted

Badbolr, I hear you. What kind of procedure did you have done? I had a UroLift 3 years ago and don't think I would have had any issues traveling in a car a couple days afterwards.

• Posted

well Russ, i had my standard TURP done 5 yrs ago , and i remember having to do a 2 hour drive home, 24 hours after the procedure.........as a passenger,>>>>> the problem was i was still drinking litres of water!! so lots of stops and pain whilst peeing.....if i could have avoided that then i would have, so , my recommendation would be.... try not to travel at all, for a while (7 days ??), and bear in mind the discomfort you will have.......i started short walks 3 days after op, and that was sometimes a problem!! i do live in the countryside so stops for a pee were not a problem! i had to make a 3 hour plane journey 4 weeks after op, and that was also a challenge!!!.......take care, all the best......(the op was the best thing i did by the way!) regards Syd

• Posted

I haven't experienced riding 48 hours in a car after TURP so can't say. I imagine there haven't been many who have. Personally, I think it might be tempting fate to do it.

• Posted

Vernon, I didn't word that very well. What I meant was I would be traveling 4 hours 2 days (48 hours) after the procedure is done. Trust me, I would not even think about driving 48 hours!

• Posted

oh, i didnt get that. i Thought you meant 48 hours of driving. 4 hrs could be doable but i couldnt have with Rezum

• Posted

Russ: LOL. Yeah, I got it wrong. Well, I can tell you I rode as a passenger for 1 and a 1/2 hours back home and I was very uncomfortable but it had to be done because that is how far away I was from where the procedure was performed. I would recommend putting a towel or two on the car seat, a pillow or two for comfort and if possible, a fully reclining passenger seat. You will have a catheter but there could be bladder spasms so be prepared to possibly leak past the catheter if they occur. All that having been said, best of luck and you may be one of the ones who sails right home without a hitch. I hope that's the case. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

• Posted

Russ, from my experience the only problem would be of sudden uncontrollable need to urinate. I had one or two really extreme cases of this, where I had very little warning, in the day or two following leaving hospital. If you can find a way of addressing this, like lots of absorbent pads, I think you might be OK. You need to avoid doing anything that might make the wound bleed more but I don't see why sitting in a seat would do that if the journey was reasonably smooth. Having said that, if there was a way of avoiding long distance travel for a few days I think that would be a better option.

• Posted

Mike, I was assuming I'd be all decked out in Depends with a pee bottle on standby. Definitely not how I'd prefer to do it but the trade off is I'd have to wait about 6 weeks to have it done if I delay it to a time that I could stay put for a few more days.

• Posted

sounds like you are saying the travel is required to GET the procedure. to get home from it. if that is the case i would personally risk that. i recommend an ice chest full of ice and an old fashion ice bag.

icing the bladder and perineum 20 on, 20 min off will help greatly

• Posted

That is correct. I have to travel to get to where my Uro is.

• Posted

Russ: Sounds like you have no choice. You can do it if you set your mind to it. Perhaps have the doctor prescribe something to relax you for the trip and perhaps some Oxybutrin to stave off bladder spasms at least for the trip home. If you cover the car seat with towels in case of an accident and perhaps bring a pillow or two for comfort, you should make it home okay. Good luck and all the best.

• Posted

After Greenlight laser procedure, I was so sore in the perineum region that I had to sit in a recliner. I can't imagine doing a 4 hour driving trip a couple of days post surgery.

• Posted

The day after my REZUM procedure, which is less invasive than TURP, I drove myself to the airport and flew from Chicago to Hartford. I got wheelchair assistance and early boarding, but it was still uncomfortable traveling with a Foley in place. Made it without major incidents, but after landing and being picked up, I had a bladder spasm so strong that I leaked around my catheter and wet the whole back of my pants. So I would have to agree with the other guys; if you don't have to travel, don't. Good luck with your procedure.

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

you're a bad dude! no chance i could have flown! my drive was 20 min and i could barely take that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.