Question on 1st few days after TURP surgery...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm trying to understand if it is practical for someone who's just had a bipolar TURP to ride in a car 48 hours after the procedure for several hours. I assume the Foley would be out within 24 hours if not before I left the surgical facility. Basically, I'm looking at having the procedure done on a Wednesday and getting in a car (not driving, just riding) mid-day Friday to travel 4 hours. Sound doable?

Yes, I know I should follow my surgeon's advice which I haven't received yet. Just interested in what you all have experienced.

Thanks

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like a bad idea. There are some who report being almost 100 % fine two days after bipolar TURP and many others who take way longer. The odds are, at best, this will be a really uncomfortable trip. You'll likely still be sore and the time in the car could well be really uncomfortable. Is this trip so important that its worth a diaper and pee bottle? What if you have a problem? is there an ER near where you'll be?

See what your doc says...

• Posted

You reminded me that I had to get a doughnut for sitting, and I used it for about a month.

• Posted

After my bipolar TURP I had a Foley catheter in for 3 days, then after it was out I was completely OK to drive around in the car. Actually, with the Foley in place my wife drove me home from the hospital and I had no issues. You are basically sitting in a car and if you are on normal road surfaces the ride is smooth, so if the catheter is out I don't see any reason why you would not be able to ride in the vehicle.

• Posted

tom: Everybody is different.I had to have a catheter in for two weeks. Could not pee on my own at all for that period of time and even then very sparsely for the next four days. Where human bodies are concerned. What's good for the goose may not be good for the gander. Easy for some and not so easy for others. Also could depend on the expertise of the doctor performing the procedure.

• Posted

Vernon,

What did you have done that caused you to have a catheter in for two weeks?

Tom

• Posted

Tom: On 10/15/2019, I had REZUM. Catheter taken out after three days but could not pee so had to put back in. Too much swelling I guess. Taken out again in another four days but still could not pee so put back in for another week. Taken out at the end of that week and could pee but not with a strong stream and not to the volume I was used to releasing with 65ml left in the bladder. Sent home with self cath but did not use. Have been peeing on my own since but I need to pee more often since the 100ml I used to release when peeing is now down to 50 to 75ml. It is the worst at night. Stream starts, then stops, then starts, then stops about three times. Back to bed for about an hour and I have to get up and do it all over again. Last night, I got up fifteen times. If this ever settles back in, I think it is unfortunately going to take months. Turns out that for me, REZUM is not the walk in the park that the Youtube testimonials make it out to be. I'll keep posting.

• Posted

Vernon, although NXThera promotes it as minimally invasive that seems to apply only to the fact that you can have it done in a Dr's office in 10 minutes (with significant discomfort). From everything I've read here Rezum may be worse than bipolar TURP on the recovery side, especially the first couple of weeks. That sort of makes sense because there is much less tissue that can swell and obstruct the urethra after a TURP compared to Rezum.

It sounds like your experience is similar to that of a lot of others who've had Rezum. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Posted

You're actually right in line with typical recovery. Give it another 3-4 weeks and you should be in good shape.

• Posted

There is a lot of variability in recovery with bipolar TURP. Some are 90% within a few days and some still need diapers after a month or two. Most don't fit either extreme. But the lack of anesthesia, very low chance of sexual side effects and any permanent side effects make Rezum the best first option for most men with BPH - particularly because it doesn't preclude any of the other more invasive treatments.

With very few exceptions, the worst case scenario for Rezum is it doesn't work. That's not true for any other that requires anesthesia. Probably, when Rezum doesn't work, its because BPH wasn't the main source of the problem.

• Posted

Vernon,

Got it. I was reading your posts and am very sorry to hear of your issues - obviously swelling cutting off your flow. It can take 5-6 weeks for the swelling to go down. I was on total retention from swelling after radiation to my prostate and had 6 Foleys in and out for weeks before the swelling subsided. My bipolar TURP was VERY easy by comparison. Minor prostate swelling but a lot of tissue was removed so once my Foley was out I could pee on my own with no difficulty. Except for the Foley irritation to the bladder, there was no pain whatsoever from the TURP. Healing was quick - back to my normal exercise routine in only a few weeks. As everyone here is telling you things should begin to improve over the next few weeks. Getting up many times per night is a big issue. I get up frequently at night, but I think this is just a bad habit from my retention issues in recent years, so putting off treatment can lead to both bladder issues and sleep disturbance that takes time to improve.

Tom

• Posted

Tom,

Thanks for your input. It is actually very reassuring. I just need to wait and hope for the best. It seems it is too early to really tell how it will all play out. I need more patience.

Vern

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.