questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have surgery scheduled for Nov. 3rd, for a Hellermyotomy.  I'm wondering, what the post-op recovery is like.  Be honest, I like to be prepared.  I have printed the post-op information that Alan suggested; but I would like to know from a fellow-Achalasia person, who has had the surgery, what the post-op process is like - pain, etc., As I said, please be honest.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna

I've had the surgery twice, last one in June this year previous was nearly three years ago. The recovery for both have been very different.

First one I was only in a night a had a drain in for 24 hours. Was very bloated, uncomfortable and in a lot of pain for over two weeks. I was bloated for nearly three months but was able to reintroduced foods gradually over three months though I still had to be careful with bread , rice and pasta.

The second one in June was very different as they perforated my oesophagus in two places because of the previous scar tissue .

I ended up having to be nil by mouth for 7 days, I had two abdominal drains and a nasal gastro drain. I was on saline / glucose drips plus pain killers through drop including morphine.

The last one I believe physically I recovered better because I rested for 7 days no pottering doing little jobs around the house and I had the abdominal drains in for over a week.

I'm still struggling with good but it is better but not as good as after the first surgery.

However I'm not going through surgery again and will just adapt my lifestyle .

I've had several dilatations and Botox injections.

Hope the surgery goes ok

Cathy

• Posted

Thank you, for your honesty.  These are the things I need to hear,and to be prepared for.  I was aware that this is not necessarily a one-time surgery fix, that it may have to be repeated in the future.  All the best to you, in 'your' recovery.

• Posted

I just had the laproscopic hylermyotimy with partial funduplication on the 12th at 9.  I was awake and walked around the same day, around 6, but stayed overnight for observation.  I had been clear fluid before surgery for almost a month, and am clear fluid now.  I take pain medication every 3 hours and something for nausea every 4.  I already dropped pain med from 15ml fto 10ml.  But don't miss the nausea mediction, I was off by 40 minutes and was paying for it for a hour.  Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for sharing.  Was the clear-fluid a month before surgery part of the prep before surgery, ie, that it was a pre-op must?  Or, was this because of your particular situation?  I'm pretty close to a puree diet now.  My esophagus is paralyzed, nerves have died.  Eating is a challenge, but I'm being very careful with what I eat.

• Posted

It was all I could eat, everything else sat then I had to make it come back up.  I waited too long for surgery and now my esophagus is dilated/stretched.  However the surgery seemed to go well, but the doctor said I would have pooling of food due to its size.  I hope if I eat small portions, chew well, and drink water, and go for walks after I eat I won't have issues.

• Posted

I hope that for you as well.  Having food/liquids 'sit' in the esophagus is not fun.  I know the feeling.  Funny, I too go for a 25 minute walk after supper.  Figure this helps the 'gravity' /pressure push the food into the stomach.

• Posted

My 17 year old son just had the Heller about 3 weeks ago.  He stayed overnight, did not complain of too much pain, there was a little discomfort from the stiches but he was up and walking around that night.  He was on a liquid diet the first week and a soft foods diet for the next two weeks.  He is now saying he has no pain, and immediately noticed a difference in food going into his stomach instead of lodging in his esphogus.  He is sleeping with the head of the bed elevated with a bed wedge which really seems to help.  The one night he tried to sleep flat, he did have some reflux issues but that is the only night since surgery.  

He was off pain meds in a couple of days and so far so good.  He did also have the fundiplication as well.   We wanted the POEM but insurance refused to cover it 15 hours before his scheduled surgery.  The Heller seems to work for him so far.  We keep our fingers crossed and pray daily.

I wish you the utmost sucess and hope for a quick recovery!  

• Posted

Thank you, and thank you for sharing the information.  I haven't read too many 'good' reviews about the POEM, and my surgeon didn't even mention it.  If I'm not mistaken [and I may be], if you have the POEM,, you can't have a Hellermyotomy in the future.  Sounds like your son has done really well through the surgery, etc.

• Posted

Actually if you have the POEM and it does not work you can have the Heller at a later time. If you have the Heller first it makes it more difficult to go in and do the surgery again due to scar tissue.
    • Posted

Thanks, I got the info reversed; appreciate what you have shared.
  • Posted

Hey Donna, just wanted to let you know that I had my post op upper endoscopy this morning and my surgeon was thrilled with my progress. Tissues looked great and all 6 of my clips have let go and passed . I don't have to see him for a year. Increased my meds a little to combat the acid and said my blood pressure spikes indeed could be from a inflamed Vegas nerve and to just give it some time and see if it calms down. All in all a good day. I'm sorry to but in on your question , I don't have any other way to send a message.

FYI..... I had no pain at all after my POEM surgery, didn't have any issues eating or swallowing food after surgery. I would expect you may have a little pain from the incisions but it shouldn't be too bad. Ok.... again .. sorry. I'll be around . I hope someone can help you out with your question. Be well and good luck !!!

• Posted

You definitely are 'not' butting in. Glad that all is going well for you.  I have received a few responses now, all with great information.  My surgery is the Hellermyotomy.   As I said, I like to be informed and prepared for what lies ahead.  What were the 'clips' for?  I do expect some pain, and from the information I've received, there is a phasing in of 'eating' over a couple of months, at least with the Hellermyotomy.  You also, be well...

• Posted

With the POEM surgery they have to make a incision in the esophagus and tunnel down to the muscle when they are done instead of stiches they use clips to hold it together and the fall off in time and pass through your system. I had 6 of them. When I saw the pictures of the surgery I didn't think I would be able to get food past them, because they looked huge. Lol. Then I was worried they would let go to early and start bleeding.

The best advice I can give would just be leave it all in the hands of your doctor and nurses. Don't worry or concern yourself with all the what ifs, and maybes. I know easy to say . Best thing I've done since my surgery was to take a xanax every now and then when I'm feeling a little uptight and at a very low dose it takes the edge off.

Now that I have the acid issue back under control I'm a happy camper. My surgeon was laughing with me this morning saying .... remember when I told you this may not work? It's gonna work for you also. Back to normal, as they say. I was eating regular food at 2 weeks and everything I wanted at 3 weeks. Leading up to surgery and the 2 weeks after I lost a total of 22 pounds. I have put back a few but happy where I am.

Have you spoken to anyone that had a rough time ?

• Posted

I haven't spoken to anyone who had a rough time, per se, but have read their reviews.  I am very optimistic, and 'want' this surgery, so I am not stressing about it, or really the 'what ifs.'  I just like to 'know' what others have gone through, so that if I experience the pain, the reflux, fatigue, etc., I will know that this is what might be considered 'normal' post-op stuff.  So glad to hear that you are coming along so well.  Great news for all!

• Posted

I dropped my pain med to 7.5ml today, and noticed my stomach is bloated and I'm retaining water. No discomfort, but I can't fit into my jeans. Added gasx and stool softener to my med regimen and hope they will reduce or eliminate both. I'm still nervous about what and how much to eat. So far, 1 sugar free pudding, 1 protein shake, bowl of clear soup, some water, and sugar free jello.

• Posted

My goodness, don't we all have such interesting meals!  I bought a hand-held immersion blender today, to puree vegetables.  So my supper was soupy mashed potatoes, with pureed veggies, and a little shredded cheese...actually, it wasn't that bad.  I got my pre-surgery stuff today.  The post-op info is so different from the info I printed off this site [came from a US hospital].  They phase-in eating over a 2 month period.  My surgeon's info, states that in 5 days, post-surgery, I can be eating normal food. 

• Posted

Months is way to long.... I was eating regular food 2 weeks after surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.