questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have surgery scheduled for Nov. 3rd, for a Hellermyotomy.  I'm wondering, what the post-op recovery is like.  Be honest, I like to be prepared.  I have printed the post-op information that Alan suggested; but I would like to know from a fellow-Achalasia person, who has had the surgery, what the post-op process is like - pain, etc., As I said, please be honest.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

Having had two lots of surgery my introduction to eating has been different. I'm 12 weeks since my last surgery and can't eat pasta, bread or rice still, I still purée meat in gravy/sauce as its still gets stuck. Last time I was eating better quicker.

I think the thing is to listen to your body despite the restrictions on my diet I have a really varied and tasty one despite having to purée stuff.

• Posted

Hi Cath, that's exactly what I was telling Donna. Just listen to your body. Doctors don't know us, per say. They know what the average person is going to feel like or do , in any given situation. I would follow their directions for a week or two then slowly and carefully, eat everything in site.... smile just kidding, couldn't help myself. Everyone here is always so serious. I wish the darn surgery could just fix everyone!!!

• Posted

thank you, good thing I bought a hand-held immersion blender to puree veggies right now...
    • Posted

Robert, humour is good.  As I ate my supper last night - soupy mashed potatoes, and pureed veggies....it reminded me of the meals I see when I visit with my elderly congregational members in the care homes... I wonder what it would be like to 'eat everything in sight.'  Bring on the popcorn!!!

• Posted

Trouble is , by the time we all can eat popcorn we won't have any teeth biggrin)

First thing I bought when I knew I was having my surgery was the new model Ninja Blender/Food Processor. That machine does everything. Getting a little tired so good night everyone , talk soon. Feel better, eat smart !!

• Posted

Have been away for a few days.  Very funny....we won't have any teeth.  Gee, wonder what 'pureed' popcorn would be like...[NOT!].  So, from what I gather, re-reading everything above....is, that just because we have Hellermyotomy surgery, it does not mean that food won't get stuck anymore?  So, just asking....after surgery, do food and liquids simply 'plop' down into the stomach?  Just trying to get my head around how all this will work, since my esophagus is 'paralyzed'.  Right now, pre-surgery, when I go to bed at night, propped on the wedge-pillow that was almost the price of a new car [kidding], I 'hear' the food, etc., moving, slowly into the stomach...a little like noises you hear when you are actually hungry...like the stomach growling, only not quite that noise...more like a suction sound.  Gee, isn't this weird the way we have to describe how our esophagus/stomach sphincter muscle is working.  Have you and anyone else in this discussion experienced this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.