Questions for the consultant

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi folks,

I'm seeing my consultant (Marcus Bankes) on the 26th September to discuss hip replacements. I've read quite a bit of this forum but there's a lot of information! I'd really appreciate some help re what questions do I need to ask him? 

Thanks in advance :-) 

2 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What are my restrictions after surgery..following those restrictions is the most important thing you can do along with what excercices and physical therapy. Ask what aids you will need. I started with walker moved on to 4 prong cane and raised toilet. Get a reachet stick too. Good luck. Glad i did it..both hips. See doc today..7 wk check.  Denise
  • Posted

How long in hospital

Restrictions post-op NB in UK 6 wk minimum for driving using the operated leg

Aids supplied by NHS -varies across country

Exercises to build up muscles pre-op

Any post-op physio - often next to nothing or arranged by GP

Transport home if you don't have a family car or good friends - usually arrange it yourself but NOT black cabs because of method of getting in and out

If you live alone type of anti-coagulant therapy post-op - most people struggle with compression stockings, help available for personal care and meals.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks 007 especially the tip re getting home! Black cabs are a total pain now (literally) so no use for after a hospital stay. 
    • Posted

Jennifer if you have the posterior approach, then after surgery you have to keep you hips and knees in a straight line. Like, no recliner, no crossing feet or legs. No putting feet up on coffee table or foot stool. Because of dislocation.

I'm five months post op. I had the anterior approach.

With this one there are no restrictions.like with the lateral or posterior approach.

However you really do need toilet riser. Because sitting low hurts and getting up is hard at first.

With the last two approaches you cannot bend over or cross the 90 degree plane.That's why you need reacher. Slip on.shoes really are a help.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I am going for a pre assessment on the 7th,a friend who works in theatre and assists with hip replacement ops all the time and also had one himself last year is going to e.mail me a list of things to ask when i go,so hopefully should have that in the next week,if i do will pass it on to you if you would like.it is your hip and I think the key is to be well prepared and i am sure like me you will be more confident.good luck
    • Posted

One more consideration . What are you going to eat when you do get home.  I bought thing I like frozen so I could just pop them in the microwave . You might need can goods. Especially if you are expecting snow after you get home..

if you have physical therapy at the hospital ware something that covers your bottom. 

With the anti or approach I had to light my legs and I didn't bring pants or shorts. O things can get a little embarrassing at physical therapy. I wih I had known what to take to the hospital.biggrin

• Posted

Ask about the different approaches to having THR. Then ckeck out each one on line to see which is rt for you.

B/c each has its pros cons. This is a major surgery make sure you are prepared for it especially at home.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 1st question I would ask is which method he uses (Anterior/Posterial) as there are lots of different reviews concerning both methods on this forum, all very helpful though, I'd also ask what sort of prosthesis he uses as there are quite a variety on the market, also the success rate of said joint along with his success rate performing these surgeries, aftercare is worth finding out about also, not sure if your in the UK or not? It's well worth attending the hip clinic before surgery if there's one being run, as you get to ask any questions you might have along with meeting someone from Occupational Therapy who will let you know about all the equipment you'll need after surgery, the raised toilet seat is a must, long handled shoe horn & a grabber for reaching things, I'm 8 wks post op now after left THR & it's all going pretty good apart from a pulled hip flexer muscle where I got a bit carried away with the excercises, really important you follow your excercise plan post op along with trying to build up strength in your leg before surgery (if your able to) as this really helps as well on your road to recovery, hope this has helped a little? Good luck with your op, hope all goes well 😉
    • Posted

Very helpful thank you! I'm in the UK, I'll ask about the hip clinic when I see the consultant, from what people have said on here it sounds really useful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.