Questions for the consultant

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi folks,

I'm seeing my consultant (Marcus Bankes) on the 26th September to discuss hip replacements. I've read quite a bit of this forum but there's a lot of information! I'd really appreciate some help re what questions do I need to ask him? 

Thanks in advance :-) 

2 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi jennifer

you need to no how many hip replacements he as performed what type he his thinking of of giving you such as cemented or uncemented who's doing your hip him or his register r if this is your first one i can assure you its not as bad as a second one.

how long for your recovery will be dont sign any forms unless you understand excatly what you have been well informed of what complications such as how long dose the hip last ,loosing nerve damage, choose how good any surgon is things can go wrong i no i have had two in seven months through only a fall no atheris but both as left me crippled

also you don't need to ask him about any aids after you have had your op the ocypational therepist or for short OPT will asses you on what you need  the physo will tell you what excersice you need after the op hes no say in what you need its up to these two to decide also if you need a follow up apointment thats up to your surgon.there are lots of questions but its up to him if he as the time to ask him ask him about foot drop i have it but was not informed about this and its very painfull belive me i have my leg in a cast two months after my op in may 2014 i wasent informed about this one way to find out how good your surgon is google his name i wish i had have done this on both my ops i had 2 different surgon's and both were not that good your putting your life in there hands then you have to realise this is a false fogrin body part that may only last a few yrs provideing its done correctly not every one as the same recovery time as another person my reply to your question is related to my own experience but everything as gone wrong for me but dose not mean it will happen to you at least i hope not but you do have the right to have second opinions till you are satisfied with a surgon you feel comfertable with especially if they listen to you i got both one that i couldnt ask nothing the other i never saw him from my first op back in october last yr from start to finish he caused me to have the second one he never did my op last but not least hope you have a speedy recovery and hope it all gose well for you google up on what you need to no as every one person is not the same on healing there are plenty of web sites that tells you what to ask your surgon.

good luck hope you keep us informed don't take metel on metal hip replacement.   

christine

• Posted

Sorry to hear how much you have suffered with your surgery. I hope your healing well nowrazz
    • Posted

Hi Ginger,  Very good advice from Christine ask questions ask about nerve damage as this is risk you take from surgery get 2nd opinions , I wish you the best

Jackie

• Posted

Research, research, research, that's why I'm here :-) Thanks for the good wishes, I hope your situation improves soon. 
    • Posted

hi jennifer

if i do any more reaserching i would have everything going i have to get a solicitor involed thats the only way i can get my answers i have lots of other illness besides this problem which i did try to explain but i wasent in with the last surgon long enough but he picked up why the first went wrong through it not been done properly so took is word he was going to correct it but like hell hes made it worse than the first one you dont expect  two ops to go wrong i havent seen him either only his register r why have i got foot drop how come i can't bend my knee its totally locked up he cant give the answer fob you of more physio they can only do so much i aslso asked him about the muscle relaxent he never answered me my gp asked me to ask this to him but he wont listen to you even dont you worry i have done more researching than enough why what and so on not sat back and taking there replys the research can give answers to an uncommon things like a locked up knee when i went for an hip op not a knee op

i also have  muscle wasting disease this only came on after the operations  i cant walk through the foot drop because of the knee my physio's cant unlock it but the surgon wont admitt why its happened they think i will shove it under the carpet but i wont my physio as approched the sugon plus my gp to give me muscle relaxent such as  botox but the nhs wont pay for it and another type but thats a no no i also have a 3" decrepency on the same leg shorter they not intrested that was never dicussed to me from the surgon this is why i am hear to advice what ppl need to ask there surgons what can go wrong after there hip ops ppl dont realise what complication can come after its been done they dont tell you about this

once they have done the op its oh it takes time to heal but just how much time  i go to see the othics but if i cant get the knee unlocked what chance do i have of walking.

i have pins,plates ,screws and a 12 "scar but no explanation from the surgon the pain im experincing from this last op is excuciating not sleeping properly im on morphine and other painkillers which i dont want to be this is covering up the reasons

not giving me any of my quality of life was told i would get so if i cant get to the bottom of ive tryed my best this is why ive got the solicitor involved through two ignorant surgons.

thats why i said ask as many questions as you can if you can get the chance to talk to them or get another opinion .

good luck for your op and hope it all gose well for you

christine.

• Posted

So sorry Christine, that all sounds so awful, unbelievably sad.

Would you name and shame the surgeons on this forum, so that none of us ever go to them!

Good luck with suing them

Veronics 

• Posted

hi veronics

i am not supposed to do this while this is still on going till its over as you no i could make it worse for myself you could be my solicitor you must appreciate this i don't no you or any one else on this forum  ive nothing to hide hes got alot to answer to belive me.

i will name the first one but till its over i can't shame him Yet the one that did my second  i can't name him as im still under him till i get this out of the way but this was the first one google mr Manjit Bhamra he his still working at the hospital were he did mine they should have struck him of when hes still doing the same making more and more now ppl is coming forward when i read about him i will leave it up to you to decide how many mistakes hes made you will get a right shock i did this is why i cant let him get away with it my solicitor couldnt belive it when she read about him and told me i have a good case against him from the second picking up what he had done this made it better for me.

this was only started in march of this yr i wasent going to do it but my husband got me to start it  just after it was picked up in febuary also on both ops ive got lack of circulation in my bad leg.

i never got a discharge letter from him he never showed his face from middle of the night to me coming home i was in hdu 2 days i saw another dr every day it was him who told me the following day who had oprated on me.lucky i had epidural but they kept knocking me out

i was admitted as an emergency case because of the fall it was a rush job the only person i saw was the aneathatist i was half doped from been  in a/e at 7 at night i didn't get on ward till 11 the nurses were panacking but i still can rememba every bit of it even in the theatre they thought i was going down first thing next morning i was in theatre 4 1/2hrs 

i was never informed who was doing my op till after i had been operated on no wonder i never saw him and hes supposed to be one of the top surgons i never had a follow up i had to get my own gp to get me an appointment for another opinion 

saw my second surgon 

but its coming to the end now one more step to go hes only got till middle of october i can't wait for the out come.

when this is over them i will open can of worms up again im useing same solilicitor this surgon as made it worse for himself  i was in only a few mins picked up it wasent done right told me why that was it. saw him for 2 mins before op told me nothing was in theatre again 7 1/2 hrs never seen him since was in HDU again  .

i will keep you informed the out come i dont want compasation but a better quality of life back if its not too late. and another opinion out of it i will get to the bottom of it with him aswell .unless he comes clean on the next apointment its gone on long enough now no more trying to pass me to some one else as he as done hes made the biggest mistake by doing this.

now you can understand how much i am going through to know enough about what to ask them about and if you get the chance to ask them as much as you can get in

i never got the chance so did one better i didn't have to search i did it through my own experience reported him but you cant have two complaints going at the same time.

i haven't nothing to hide or be ashamed of i want every one to know what ive gone through and still am im crippled through 2  jumped up so called top surgons thats done this to me from different hospitals and don't even know each other

when this is over the other one wont no whats hit him the other surgon as made it worse for himself..

hope this helps any one thinking they have got the right top notch surgons when they can still make mistakes they are humans same as us only with letters behind there name

dont get me wrong im not tarring them all like these two ive had its like i said you need to read up about them or ask them if they cant tell you move on to another  and how many times have they performed revision ops and normal ones there is a law out now telling ppl to name and shame if they hold any data back or false data ive read up about the name mentioned on here every one is entitled to there own opinions and hope every one is satisified with who they get but advice dosent go a miss  

christine

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I am also going to have THR right hip by Marcus Bankes, so please let me know how you get on with your questions and after that, with your op.

• Posted

er

I could have missed it but I didnt notice anyone saying ask for a trolly

I'm in the UK and didnt know about these until someone on another forum mentioned them.....sure enough....none was offered so I asked....no problem I got one.

It was excellent.....mny husband was at work during the day......so Go with crutches to the trolly, push that into the kitchen, using that instead of crutches.....make a cup of coffee or sandwich and push it back in again. Set food on table, push trolly over to where you left your crutches and come back to the table  LOL

It was a blessing.....it was lso used to push things from one room to another.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Okk Eileen what is a trolly you use in the house.?

I haven't been to the UK

• Posted

Hi Ginger

I have friends in Canada and USA and we all speak English but we have to keep asking each other what a certain word means  LOL I'm going to try to post a pic of a trolly  lets see if it goes through

Sorry it wont post......OK....the one I got from the OT at the hospital....had  wheels, 2 trays, and 2 handles to hold on to and push it.

Does that make any sense....if iit does tell me what you call them....another word for my vocabularly biggrin

If you want to google.....try Lloyds disability....then in the search box type in sheba kitchen trolley....if you can get that its better than my explanation.

Oh yes the one I got from the hospital was plastic.....

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I have a walker that has a seat and four wheels. Of course handle bars with hand breaks 

Mine is all metal. I usually put food on the. Seat take it to the living room to my tray.

I guess it's alkyl just about the same.lol

• Posted

Morning Ginger

Its 7.25am in the UK but you'll get this eventually wink

Its not the same...... I have the same type of thing you are talking about to be used outside........The seat isnt very big is it?

Big enough to sit down on when you are outside but not that big to put a lot of things on to move about the house.

I do wish I could print you a picture of it...I have tried but it wont work.

Anyone else know what a trolley is and can explain it to Ginger?????

Like I said in my last post it has 2 shelves.....one above the other so plenty of room. It would be more stable than my walker is anyway..

Over here some people have different kinds of a trolley.....usually wooden and they prepare food in the kitchen, put it on the trolley and push it all into the room where they are eating

Did you try searching on google to give you an idea???

I typed in Trolley and then Disability and it showed me a lot of different ones.

HELP ANYONE ELSE PLEASE.....EXPLAIN TO GINGER OR GIVE HER THE USA NAME FOR I

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Great idea re the trolley. No seats in my kitchen so that would have been miserable. 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer

You couldnt sit on this trolley  LOL

As for the walker we were talking about.....I doubt if the OT would lend you that for the duration {Not in the UK anyway} I eventually bought mine for outside

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Ooops....almost forgot.....A perch stool.....they let me have that for the kitchn to sit on to work at the bench...doing vegetables etc

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good afternoon,  actually my four wheels walker I use mostly in the house. I live in small town house.

I had to put a tray on the seat to carry my food into the living rm to eat. It's really not that big. It did hold a person up to 270: lbs. I'm hundred lbs smaller.

I also use it to sit on to cook dinner. I bought a holder clips on the handle bar, that hold my beverages. Other wise things spill all over. Then picking anything up from the floor is just too much for me.

• Posted

greetings,Eileen, Foung what you described as a trolley with two trwya. Never have seen anything like it. surw woild be helpful carring things from the kitchen to another room. thanks. actually you described it perficatilly.:biggrin

• Posted

Hi Ginger

I'm glad you found it even if you cant get one.......it was a blessing during the first weeks.

Your walker sounds as if it will do the job  wink

I thought you might just have a different name for it.

I said to you in my first post i have some email friends in different countries and although we are all English speaking we have different names for things anbd have to keep asking each other what did you mean by that? or what is a ????

Good luck anyway

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.