Questions for the consultant

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi folks,

I'm seeing my consultant (Marcus Bankes) on the 26th September to discuss hip replacements. I've read quite a bit of this forum but there's a lot of information! I'd really appreciate some help re what questions do I need to ask him? 

Thanks in advance :-) 

2 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer. I am 5 weeks to the day THR right hip. As you will be, I was apprehensive and nervous. My consultant discussed every thing in great detail and made me feel at ease. I have managed using on line shopping and lifts from friends to appointments. Compression socks are impossible on your own. Great point about the trolley. I prepared food supplys only to find I couldnt carry it to the table (had to sit at kitchen bench). I have an upstairs bathroom and stairs with one handrail. You have to leave one stick down stairs only to find when you get upstairs you cant manage with one stick ( I borrowed another crutch which I left at the top of the stairs). I have my six week rewiew on the 26th and will be discussing my left THR. I am in no way concerned about my other op as the improvement in my right hip as been fantastic. Good Luck
  • Posted

I'd start by asking about the type of new joint he uses and what is its record. How long has it been in use. Is there a better product (there are about 400 types produced and many of them are inferior). Why is he using the one he describes.

When satisfied about the actual joint then proceed to the op and how he does it. For example the latest approach is from the rear but the old style from the front is still better in many cases. What support will be available while in hospital. How good is the physio facility and does he have any additional recommendation(s). What does he advise for recovery - up next day and a pattern of daily physio increasing as possible.

A lot depends upon the nursing support you get. But most important of all is to have a positive attitude at all times and to be determined to do the very best you can. There is no point in being timid, over cautious or afraid. The healing process and the use of your limbs can be much improved by how you respond to treatment.

• Posted

Good stuff Jaguar, especially being positive. That can be a challenge at times! 
    • Posted

All life is a challenge, Jennifer. We rise to many challenges and then enjoy life. How we approach those challenges decides how successful we may be. When you have a positive approach to every day then whatever that day brings you you have a head start. Leave the negativity to others and do not heed them.

I see someone has mentioned a hip clinic. Wherever such clinics exist there is another source of information; be guided by your consultant.

• Posted

You are very smart.  I wish I had done forum & internet research before getting my THR.  What i did not know was the specifics of the implant put in my body (type, manufacturer, serial # etc..) you think you will never need this info but it will come to haunt you someday and then you'll have to contact your doctor which may not be easy anymore
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer.

You mention that you've read quite a bit on ths forum. Good informations.

Try and make a list of questions what you would like to ask about.from the informations you've read that would help so you don't forget what you wants to know.

Everyone experience is different, some good some bad as everyone body react differentley.

I had a THR in April of this year it wasent as bad as i taught.

My sister-in-law has her last week and she's suffering quit a bit, but it's early days still with her.

Follow the Do's and the Dont's and you'll be fine.

Do the excised those will help you, do them before and after.

Good Luck!

• Posted

I'm 18 days post op, in scotland. My surgeon was very informative, i have follow up appt nxt month & again i have questions written down to ask! I still have pain especially after physio yesterday, take my meds & do exercises i've been taught.still waiting for light at end of tunnel. Good luck all.
    • Posted

Stupid phone 'I renewed' should have been Irene! 
    • Posted

wow just 18 days post op. your going to be painful for a short time still. there is always light ahead. just take it one day at a time. do as much as you can each day. but be sure to keep on moving your leggs and hip and feet. you may be slow but you will be sure. ought oh here comes the rain. whew! just got back from walking the dog, just in time to avoid the rain.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply ginger, pain i can cope with with pills but lack of sleep is wearing me down! Lying on back more uncomfortable than leg pain! Bottom of back is aching! During day is ok with walking & exercise tho! 3 weeks tomorrow am i expecting to much? 
    • Posted

Greetings from kansas, what kind of THR did you have? I hate lying on my back too. If you had anterior an approachTHR the you can raise the top of your bed.If it's not electric kind of bed then you can stuff pillows behind you..to lift about 30°  That will take pressure off the back. I also put a pillow under my knees.BUT that is only for the anterior or front approach.. 

If you had lateral or posterior dont do that until you ask your surgeon's..Because you can dislocate that hip and that hurts awful bad. Especially you only three weeks post op.

Take it easy.This is a very big  surgery and ttakes months to heal.smile

• Posted

Well hello kansas. Scotland UK here. Well how stupid am i as i don't know what THR i had!! Scar is outside of right leg! Hmmm prob should have asked! No matter i see surgeon again on october 20th & physio again this thursday! Tried all the pillow thing might just try my recliner couch which is much the same as the hospital bed! When did u have your thr? 
    • Posted

IM  FIVE MONTHSPOST OP. sounds like you had a lateral THR. becareful aboit recliner as the lateral posterior THR have restrictions with what position you can safely put your leg

Did your doctor or physio give you instructions when you left the hospital? maybe you can ask this thursday when you go there. Because ycryou dont want that hip to dislocate. Dont take any chances.

• Posted

Oh wish i was 5 mths post op, infact most days i wish i hadn't had it done!! Physio said last week about the pillows & also placing them between legs & to try turning slightly onto operated side! But i can't yet, hope you are recovering well, i'm also taking aspirin daily, tho both legs very tired today
    • Posted

I can do a lot more things now. Like turning on my side.However my operated side I can only stay on that about 30. 40 min.Of course all turns are made with a pillow between knees. That also eases the back a lot. 

There have been times when I was discouraged and wish I didn't haven't done too.

I'm going on a two week bus tour all the way to new York . I'm not sure how I'll tolerate all that sitting.

Tthe first time I turned on that operative side. I feels the top of the prosthetic move down ward then it thumped.OMG I almost screened.I pain was terrible.

I turned back quickly and prayed it did dnt stay out pic place. I was lucky. But it hurt again to walk and stand up and sit down again.

So I didn't try again until for months. That time all is ok

• Posted

I walk at least the miles a day. Yesterday I did give miles. Boy I was tired.my leg did hurt after that.I'll need to keep the miles four or under for a while.
    • Posted

Thank u ginger for all your advice, helps a lot & appreciate your time
    • Posted

How are doing Irene?? Hope all is  well with you and your surgery. Haven't seen a post h from you in a whilesmile
    • Posted

Hi Ginger, not been good, terrible pain in operated leg  most of this week! Went to physio yesterday & he pointed out how thin & 'withered' that leg looked! So more exercises to build up muscle & boy did that hurt! Just don't seem to be getting anywhere fast !! Hope you are keeping well Ginger xx
    • Posted

Hi Irene

You are having a rough time.......It is so frustrating isnt it when you feel you are getting nowhere fast.....a bit like me with this fractured hip {after the THR} very frustrating

Take care

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi eileen, sorry to hear of your trying time! Yeah it's like 2 steps forward & 3 steps backwards! Jst getting me down that every day day since op has been a challenge! A painful one. Hope your feeling a lot better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Irene

Actually I had a "day procedure" last Tues where they took out some fluid from my hip to send to the lab to check for infection.

I'm 8 months post THR and 4 weeks into recovery my greater trochanter bone fractured. All I've been told up to now is "nothing we can do about it, it will heal itself but take a long time!!!!!8 months and still on 2 cruthces!!!! so when he was doing this procedure on Tuesday ...I said to hime "will this hipe ever heal" he said no......first straight answer i've had.

I then asked would I be on 2 crutches the rest of my life....no you will progress to oneeek

I decided not to ask anymore while he was doing this procedure LOL and am due to see him soon again so will go with a list of questions to askwink

Like you.....its the pain.....the crutches are a nuisance but the pain is worse....think I could cope if it wasnt so bad

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Yeah the crutches are a pain, still on 2 myself as physio said not to go down 2 one till i see surgeon again on ict 20th, lying on my backbin bed is also a pain! Infact everything about this op has me thinking that the limp & groun pain i had before really wasn't that bad!! Lol aww piir you, you have been tbrough the wars!! Xx
    • Posted

My heart really hurts for you irene. I'll pray for strength and healing with less pain.j( sad
    • Posted

Hi Irene

Sorry I missed a bit of the thread........its 7.20am here Actually you're in Scotland aren't you?  If so thats OK I'm in  Northumberland. No time difference....I'm not half awake LOL  Anway how far on are you..thats the bit i missed???

I'm 8 months.....not on my back now but if I go on the operated side its agony and if I go on the other side,can hardly move when I waken up, have a stiff neck, and feel dreadful.

I agree with you about wondering was I better off beforehand LOL

I knew it would have to be done some time but eventually the pain clinic said that it might help my back {Scoliosis} and they couldnt operate on my back so why not try the THR {2nd one}  and it MIGHT help.....it hasnt and I'm worse.frown

I suppose I just have to put up with it

Hope your pain eases off a bit at least......dont  think you are as far post op as me so you have hope  wink

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I tried to four miles a day then I did five miles. That is what caused my op leg hurt.lol ginger
    • Posted

The word walk I missing in the other message

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.