quetiapine

Posted , 11 users are following.

:roll: I have been taking quetiapine for about 4 months 850 mg along with venlafaxine 150mg, I have put on 2 and a half stone, but my cpn says that the drug is not known to have that effect, but reading your comments I don't seem to be the only one. the drug on the whole seems to be working well but if the weight gain continues I will have to change my meds as that in itself is making me feel depressed!

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im on the same medication and my docter and phyc actually warned me that the tablets do cause weight gain!
  • Posted

owe doctors! :roll: I was told that weight gain wouldnt be that much of an issue. Ive got to say my appetites getting better, but even that makes me anxious!
  • Posted

Does anyone else find-this drug stinks!!! I mean smells! It smells like a colostomy or something. Hmmm, Ive not been right on it..Took it-and felt really relaxed-ive not felt that relaxed since feeling realrealy sick , thinking I was going to die, and then recovering! Then the following night I went to bed got the hellicopters and throw up everywhere. it was not pretty!!!!!!! Then for the last 2 days been feeling really uncontrollably in need of a good...anyone, so I had to take my citalopram 2xs because I couldnt handle the feelings of wanting it.

Then so much oof the cit meant I couldnt sleep , so had some wine, and threw up!

Followed by telling my drinks nurse I hate him and wish blah blah....then I had a head rush, and he toots his horn at me and waves like hes my best friend, after ived decided and put in a bid for proerty. Wffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!11 Now IM clueless as to how i feel and feel upset that i may upset him. Nightmare!

My children have goneo n holiday and im due back at work soon, maybe things wil settle. I hope so! Also Ive put on half a ston ein weight 3 weeks on! sad

But then I cant stop laughing at stupid tings. Like why call a butcher shop family butcher, so if I go in there-what do I ask for some gun powder????????? Oh and a gun?

• Posted

I have been on Quetipine since 2008. Orignally on 250mg then increased to 300mg within 6 months. Since then I have changed from Citalopram to Lofrepramine and had Amlodopine, Lisinopril/Hydrochlorothiazide and Doxazosin for treatment of hypertension. More recently I have noticed that I am experiencing increase levels and increased frequency of heavy yawning which is starts off with a very uncomfortable feeling in the chest or body of a heavy build up of air. I am seeing a GP tomorrow to see if reducing the dosage of Quetiapine would help.
  • Posted

Ok so reducing the dosage down to 250mg has worked. Also I am not on the prolonged release XL anymore. So I believe that the XL prolonged release is one of the major causes of constant heavy yawning and build up of air in the chest. What a relief.
  • Posted

I am about to start taking this at a very low dose (100mg per day) to treat bi-polar disorder (level 2). I have never taken it before and am a bit worried about weight gain. Does it actually cause you to gain weight by the change in chemicals in your body or does it just make you hungry? Anyone taking it along with a fairly healthy diet and exercise and able to keep the weight off?

Also worried about drinking with it. I am a sociable drinker and have the odd 1-2 (or 3-4) pints or a few glasses of wine. How is alcohol with this medicine?

If I'm going to get really fat and can't drink I'm wondering whether to ask for a different medicine! But my doc seemed to say this was the best treatment for bi-polar (level 2).

Would really apprcaite some feedback on this.

Regards.

• Posted

seroquel makes me hungry & I don't drink alcohol while taking it as I have found even a drop makes me feel nauseous.

• Posted

Hi , I hope to sprinkle a bit of xmas fairy dust to you because i too am on 100mgs quetiapine and Lithium 800mgs since May/June and this week's Gp review concluded that i don't need to see him till March 2015.This may seem inconsequential to some but is huge progress for me having been diagnosed Bi-Polar 2 in May.I am managing to keep my weight stable but really careful what i eat,started Zumba classes once a week and having experimented with alcohol with meds decided if i have none at all i know where i am.I went back to work in sept which was very tough but feel i'm coping with it now and probably as ok as i'm going to be with it (RGN) I hope my sprinkling of xmas cheer gives hope to many that with support,help and understanding from professionals and others we can live life to the full,those people are out there its just appalling that they are not always easy and accessable to find x
    • Posted

I enjoy a glass of wine 1 a month and stopped because when i drank I felt really hot headed like my whole face got red and warm like fever.
  • Posted

I don't feel that Quetiapine causes weight gain. It does not make you feel hungry in the same way that Flupenthixol does. You can not eat for a long period without too much trouble. Where as when I was on Flupenthixol you had to keep eating to prevent severe sweating and keep away hunger. The only thing with Quetiapine is what I mentioned before about the heavy yawning and shortness of breath. And make sure you don't miss a dose. If you miss a dose then you get severe headache and sweating. For me Quetiapine is the best medication so far for treating mental health.
  • Posted

I have been on 200mg quetiapine and 225mg venlafaxine for a few years now, did well for most of that time but physical side effects soon kicked in, weight gain, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, tenosinovitis in lower arms. I'm in the processs of coming off them as I'm sick of feeling so out of it, cant really get on with my life properly with all this rubbish going on. Coming off is a nightmare though, it needs to be done VERY SLOWLY. I spent one night in hospital a couple of years ago, suspected heart attack, nothing to do with the meds, I didnt have my meds with me so missed one dose,24 hours later I felt I was going to die, I really mean it. Cant explain it really, just felt so ill, never felt so ill in all my life. Now I'm reducing very slowly with the help of my GP, though some days feel ill. Quetiapine does cause weight gain, no matter what kind of diet you're on, it must mess with the metabolism.
    • Posted

funny they keep saying diazepam is too dangerous to take for the exact same reasons! absolute maddness. they want me to go on this stuff instead of diazepam, which is working really well for me.
    • Posted

AGREE 100 % i have taken it three weeks and gained 4 kilos WTH i hate  it. And the medicine works good. So is it worth it? im afraid to come off it because i love it so much but the weight gain is BAD
    • Posted

I also feel it makes me feel bloated?
  • Posted

Hi, I'm just starting my first dose of seroquel of 300 mg and then 100 mg in the morning. Does this sound like alot to anyone?? It kinda does to me for a first dose but don't know that much about it.

Thanks, Sher

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.