Quetiapine and restless legs

Posted , 22 users are following.

I've recently been prescribed Quetiapine 150mgs and find about an hour after taking it I get terrible restless legs for a couple of hours.  I have started taking it earlier so I can get to sleep at a reasonable hour as I have to stay up until the 'twitchy' feeling in my legs has passed.  Lying in bed is unbearable.  Has anyone else had this side effect with Quetiapine and if so, did it pass?  I started on 25mgs doubling up each night until I reached 150mgs.  I have been on it for 7 nights now.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance smile

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did get restless legs initially when I started to take it - the instant release. I am on extended release now and do not experience that side effect. Whether it was the change in preparation or whether it wore off I am not sure.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm on instant release so I'll mention it at my review x
  • Posted

Hey!

Hope your not too bad right now!!

I've been on Q since 2008... And experienced the same symptoms as you...but as the years progressed the symptoms got worse... Thru the day I was trying to stretch my muscles every 5 mins or so, now at 35 I look like a complete idiot at pain relief classes as I'm pulling my body into all sorts of postions to relieve the pain... Although I do notice some release in positions that are not in the normal range.... But apparently some physios say this is coz I was born double jointed!! I am totally not convinced!

Anyone elses experiences would be greatly appreciated..., love you all x

• Posted

haha yes i too was very annoyed with looking like an idiot, pulling myself into funny positions every minute or few, or clenching my fists trying to hold my legs still, when people start staring ...

tried every dose of seroquel but the effects remain the same. just changed my medication. hope the RLS goes away!

• Edited

I'm 3rd day into using Quetiapine 2x50mg  and i get the wrestless legs to. I am also taking it earlier to save this happening. I'm a little spaced out and hope it passes soon. It has helped the thoughts but blocks all thinking i feel.
  • Posted

Hello.  I am on 400mg Quetiapine each night.  If I do not get to sleep within about half an hour I get an awful restless leg.  I also need to allow for 12 hours sleep.

• Edited

Yes I have experienced this exact result and I couldn't stand it. It's a horrible drug and shouldn't be on the market. I also had swelling in my hands and feet, muscle twitching and horrible dreams. Bad drug!

• Posted

I literally registered to reply to your comment.  For some of us, quetiapine has saved our lives.  I did have to change my daily schedule to accommodate the sleepiness it causes but that medicine in combination with my other meds has greatly reduced my bipolar depression.  I have tried many "cocktails" over the years and this is a key component of my current regimine.  Medicines don't work the same way for everyone.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the market.  If it wasn't, I might be dead by now.

• Posted

omgosh! I went up 2 ring sizes, i got my rings adjusted, and still my rings are tight again wth.  Good to know im not the only one!

also>

bad dreams/vivid dreams

twitching face muscles

trying to get off totally, but now i have anxiety just thinking about getting off it. now im really messed up

• Posted

Yes me too! Registered just to say it has saved me and pulled me out of a psychotic breakdown. It is the first medication to really work and I've had issues for over 30 years, medicated for 15.

• Posted

I've been on quetiqpine since 2006 for severe depression the dose they started me on was 500mg then went up to 700mg. At 700 MG I would get up and lose complete function of my legs for about 5 min. I also had severe nightmares while still feeling like I was still awake. I put a stop to that high dose and went done to 75mg by myself but now just like you I have severe restless legs about an hour after I take it. I try to sleep before it starts to work but I don't usually manage. It's supper annoying cause the whole reason I take it is for sleep and if I get more than 3-4 per night I'm lucky

• Posted

Same here started on quetiapine 25mg, now up to 100mg one time a day at bedtime for insomnia. No way taking at bedtime tends to hype me up. I also have the restless muscles. Also at first cause very painful cramps after taken. So the Dr. started me on clorazepate 3.75mg at bedtime. Can't take immediately at bedtime. I started taking and hour before bed. I'm now taking approximately four hours before bed. Wow good luck to all, vicious circle sometimes.

• Posted

Wow! LOL you dont realize until you read these how much is really a side effect.  I also get hyped up after taking it. Then super drowsi. But if i dont lie down within half an hour of taking it, it can wake me up again.
  • Posted

it is true that the drug has side effects.  I have found, over many years of mental illness problems, that they all seem to.  Weight gain is awful (I am 150kg at the moment due to this and other medication) and the restless leg is nasty if you cannot get to sleep before it kicks in.  I also need at least 12 hrs sleep.  I cannot work due to my bi polar which my mental health consultants seem unable to control and the drowsy sleep excess does not help too.  However, I take 400mg and I can honestly say that, even though I am still ill, these drugs have saved my life.  So I look at it like this; not nice drugs but so nice to still be here with my family and friends.
    • Posted

wow. weight is 200lbs. not not not happy and i wont allow this drug to control me anymore!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.