Quetiapine and restless legs

Posted , 22 users are following.

I've recently been prescribed Quetiapine 150mgs and find about an hour after taking it I get terrible restless legs for a couple of hours.  I have started taking it earlier so I can get to sleep at a reasonable hour as I have to stay up until the 'twitchy' feeling in my legs has passed.  Lying in bed is unbearable.  Has anyone else had this side effect with Quetiapine and if so, did it pass?  I started on 25mgs doubling up each night until I reached 150mgs.  I have been on it for 7 nights now.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance smile

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I only started Quetiapine 25mg at night two nights ago and find that my legs are aching and restless. I have also broken out in hives and am generally itchy allover, I slept for 12hrs on them but still wake up confused,groggy and my speech is affected.My concentration and co ordination is all over the place. I was given them as my psychiasrist suspects that my long standing depression has led to me being bipolar. How long before these side effects stop or should I stop taking them as I felt better without them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advanceeek
  • Posted

I was admitted to hospital in 2010 for depression and diagnosed as bipolar, I was put on seroquel (what Quetiapine is called in SA) in hospital, the restless legs started immediately but I never knew what exactly it was and ignored it.

I'm completely healed, and think the diagnosis was a bit harsh and that I was misdiagnosed, in any case, I stopped taking the medication (and all other antidepressants.), about 6 months after being released from the hospital but I still have restless legs approximately 7 years later.

• Posted

I am currently prescribed Seroquel 300mg at HS for my MDD and to aide my sleep but recently I started struggling with the worst RLS about and hour after taking the medication. I become extremely anxious, jittery and unable to control the movement in my legs and I even have arm involvement as well. It gets so bad that I have to et out of bed and just pace around the house, I don't want to impact my partners sleep with my RLS. Example: Last night I took my Seroquel dose as scheduled (10pm) and about an hour after laying down to rest I was so anxious from the RLS that I had to get up and go to the living room where I attempted to rest on the couch with no such luck. I get to the point where I am almost in tears. I finally got to sleep around 3:30am then had to get up for work at 6am.

• Posted

Getting the rls after one to two hours after taking the quetapine. Dosage seems not to matter and it last for 4 5 hours . I'm on 300mg xr for bipolar depression at night. Only thing that seems to help is if I take 50mg xr mid day or so. I get a bit more sleepy but the dose won't be so low in my body that I get the bad rls at night. It also gives me prostate trouble which sucks more. I'm able to function somewhat when on this VS barely having energy to fix food when Im off or I would never take this again

• Posted

Hey christian, I had similar issue with similar med doc added benztropine . 5mg that help for me.
  • Posted

hi, i take 600mg daily. i had the restless legs until i went on xr . the dr also gives me propanol for the restless legs side effects. it has definitely helped me.

• Posted

quetiapine seroquel I was put on in 2010 I'm on 4 other meds and I in 2010 didn't notice if this drug worked or didn't work.

I've never ever had restless legs or pain.

I do twitch a dozen times a day in my leg .

I stopped taking quetiapine 4 months ago because I really had enough of pills and I ddidn't notice if they worked or not anyway so i carefully reduced my 600mg a day dose and was off the drug .

by month 3 I was terrible I can't write in words what mental state I was in .

I finally decided to try my quetiapine again and see if it helped and boy was it the best decision I made I feel so much better its helped me live because I would of probably been 6 feet under by now .

• Posted

yes, I get it too. definitely getting worse with higher dose. Very uncomfortable. will be interested to hear if anything can help as this medication works well.

• Posted

Im on a low dose but have the same restless leg symptom. Ive been taking for quite some time now and it has become slightly less intense and more random. still take the pills 2/3 hrs bf bed just in case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.