Quetiapine initial reaction

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder this year and have been put on quetiapine during a high phase.

I have sleep and anxiety problems with my condition, I get anxious and shaky with the high phase too.

The psychiatrist put me on 25mg x2 for 2 days then 50mg x2 for 2 days and for the last 4 days I've taken 100mg x2. I take 100mg in the evening and then the second dose an hour or so before I get into bed.

It makes me drowsy, has helped me sleep every night and I haven't felt too groggy the next day. On the 200mg I'm starting to feel very depressed again. I don't know if this is me naturally falling into my depressive phase or if it's a reaction to the medication. I was as high as a kite only a couple of days ago.

I fully intend on giving this medication a good go but wonder if anyone else has been prescribed this for bipolar and found a dip in mood at the start? Also has anyone found this med helpful and not needed an anti-depressant with it?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Torment-

I see a Psychologist tomorrow. I took some emergeny normal release tabs yesterday, and had altogether a better day. ( I just find it hard getting out of bed-I feel like a teenager again, as though i want to lie in until 1pm etc) But once im out of bed, im okay! Im not having my shouting matches despite the house being a mess, and other than stomach cramps, im okay!

Im putting the other things that need to be addressed under the carpet for the time being, otherwise ill come out of automatic and breakdown!

• Posted

Hi Tinytears,

I'm glad you had a better day. Good luck with the appointment too, I hope it helps.

Try to talk as much as you can about those racing thoughts, it sounds really uncomfortable for you at the moment. Write some down if it makes it easier.

Take Care

Torment

• Posted

Hi Torment-

I saw the psychologist yesterday. It went well, but I found it really incredibly exhausting. Im having a better day today!

Ive managed to see my housing officer and i no longer have to bid , their management team are taking over! Thtas good news for me-and its left me in a scary place, but it couldnt get nymore scarier than last night or the night before that or the night before that. i think its my ex that really needs the help.anti psychotic medication .

hes started a new job, and expects me to do all my \"chores\" Okay so ive not been on top of the world and my standards have slipped somewhat, but I certainly aint a bum like he described me to my girls yesterday. he came in , banged about the kitchen sore at 830 pm \"f*** S***\" banged about somemore, prevented me from getting a drink -juice , and then banged about somemore, swore, banged about until he had finished in the kitchen , shut himeslef in the living room, put the football on full blast, sent the kids to their room , and I was tooscared to go into the living room other than that im fine.

Oh-i do have one question, periods? Mines has come early and really really heavy and really bad cramps-is this a side effect of this pill or is this just stress?

• Posted

I am so unsure about this stuff! Im sleeping yeah great but waking up is a nightmare. I actully really want to die! i have 2 beatiful children and a cat to put before myself so this is not practical!
  • Posted

This is more like a misscariage than a period. Im clotting day 2 , big nasties and in having bad cramps ...all the way down to my toes. Not been sick yet but think im going to be!11 I know it isnt possible so this is jst a thing ive got to get through-is it this stuff?
  • Posted

Sounds like you've got lots of stressful things to deal with.

Does your ex still live with you? That's not an ideal situation to be in especially if he's not the father of your children.

I can't say if quetiapine affects periods because I had a hysterectomy a while ago and don't have them. It could be affecting yours though, ask your doctor about it.

Keep thinking of what is precious in your life, that's what I do. There are things I have that other people don't and things I don't have that others do. Everyone has at least one precious thing in their lives and that's a good basis to build strength from.

• Posted

Hi, in my experience with I have had NO bodily problems except the ringing in my ears the first month on quetiapine.  Also extreme bloating each day and i have been on this 3 months i think.
  • Posted

Hi Torment. im okay ( sorry to truoble you1)

Though really tired today and my mouth is so dry, that i even spat out gross green phlegm and its disgusting!

My ex is still gere, but good news is I saw my housing officer just there on friday and my housing move has been placed in the housing management team, so its just a wait before getting somewhere else to live! But I have my mmoments and last nigth got really freaked out, We live on the first floor ( which is good) When I was younger i was stalked when living in a fround floor bedsit, so groundfloors are no good, even basement would do - but this is the thing, when im exhausted i still se things flashing by my windows etc and like last night it freaked me out COMPLETELY! Im thinking , thats it, everyone is right about me-im am crazy, and then because i felt so scred i started to cry, meanwhile my eldest gets upset about situation , and i m exhausted and trying to comfort her and listen to how she feels and its so trying, whilst the younger one is crying for hours about the fact that whoops i drank her fizzie juice out of desperation bwecause my mouth was so dry! She was not happy with me and behaved desrvingly like a 7 year old should, so i had to go out and but a buig bottle of cream soda!

But that alone , the windows thing and the fear when im on my own makes me feel so scared and lonely and makes me want to numb everything even though im on all these drugs i cant shift it! I cantget rid of the scared feeling!!!!!

• Posted

Everything might improve with the new move for you. I think it's really important to feel safe where you live, we feel safe where we are.

I take the quetiapine at night in 2 doses, it's too much during the day and I drink lots of fluids for the dry mouth.

The scared feeling will be worse if you're confronting your past, it's often a delayed shock reaction from long ago.

It will get easier, I think you should only have as much therapy as your comfortable with too. You need to feel a degree of control over whats happening to you.

Take Care

Torment

• Posted

Hi Torment I take 75 mgs at night, but can barely function after taking it-but it is good-because i feel relaxed more than ever ( after taking it) but also it gives me a desire to eat ( sometimes). I am a bit concerned though, as i mwaking at 430 in the mornigs after going to bed at about 10pm...I normally get to slep at 11, but then wake at 430 am and theres no way i can get back to sleep. Ive so much going on , housing trial, etc etc that i cant stop thinking and it buzzes rounf and round my head. then i have to feal with the girsl and get them up for school etc ..and then , if something minor happens like loosing my keys, i loose my head.

Okay, otherwise- Im so tired too. Also it really makes me smell. Everyione else says only i can smeel it but its the strangest smeel. Its like when you walk into an overloaded chemists on a hot dat smell. my daughter remakrked on this ...shes 7 and she says \"that med stinks!\" :lol: Also, i had a slush puppie for breakfast because my mouth flet like id swallowed a bearded collie! Then I had counselling and i kept loosing my focus on things that were important...then thinking about shopping and i have barely enough in the bank for milk never mind a nice handbag, or shhhhhhhhhhhoeeeeeeeeeees, or or anything! I feel weird today!

My housing officer is now looking for a 2 bedroomed flat for us, as after ex agreed to go ( with the housing team) He came home, after the interviewew, and rambled how i was so unstable and how I would NEVER be able tro manage etc etc,,,Thats his power again....And now because, he made me go to the shop and buy him wine, and make his dinner , etc etc etc after I had topped myself,,,,,he thinks im satin!!! ( Well good b****y good, ha ha) Im going to clean the flat and make his dinner like a proper stepford wife on the day I leave .......iron his hsirts and make them extra specially soft for him , then im going to stick the fingers up and say ha ha ha eff off Mr.( actually, no im not that would be a complete waist of my time!) He still thinks i should be cooking for him . Theres something very wrong with his delapadated brain! I cant wait to get out, but also nervous about it and what hes going to throw at me....I expecting him to try and run me over again and again, but im going to p*** him off and bouce straight back up. No one should have the misfortune of being treated like ..I dont know how youd describe, but if he calls me a lazy you know what again, im going to tape it and take it to the police!

• Posted

Hi Tinytears,

I take 200mg at about 8pm and then 200mg at 10pm. By midnight I'm ready for sleep, I only feel too dopey late at night or when I'm feeling low.

I haven't noticed a smell from it but I get a metallic taste in my mouth depending on my mood, that's been happening for years.

I'm sorry that you're having problems with your relationship, could you just tell him to sod off or do you need him? I shouldn't say too much as I don't know enough about the 2 of you but you don't sound happy with the situation.

I've had a strange day today, my mood seems to be rising again with having my AD dose highered but I'm in a really fidgity mood with weepiness so it's negative thoughts today.

What can you do but keep taking the meds and facing each day as it comes :roll:

Torment

• Posted

I have been on quitiapine now for about 5 weeks. Similar to you I was on a low does and then increased 25mg per night. I now take 375mg and still sometimes feel very irritable
  • Posted

I am taking 100mg quetiapene, and have been for about four years now. It clams me down amazingly, but do wake up in the night wanting to eat, and sometimes feel drowsy. I wasn't prescribed it for psychosis but for depression/ anxiety. It does help me to sleep but I couldn't take it in the day when I am working. Is anyone else in the same situation?
    • Posted

Quetiapin has increased my appetite double fold, stopped my metabolsim, increased my weight by tons, and heas decreased my anxiety. 25m 2x daily at night
    • Posted

and makes me insanely bloated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.