Quetiapine initial reaction

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder this year and have been put on quetiapine during a high phase.

I have sleep and anxiety problems with my condition, I get anxious and shaky with the high phase too.

The psychiatrist put me on 25mg x2 for 2 days then 50mg x2 for 2 days and for the last 4 days I've taken 100mg x2. I take 100mg in the evening and then the second dose an hour or so before I get into bed.

It makes me drowsy, has helped me sleep every night and I haven't felt too groggy the next day. On the 200mg I'm starting to feel very depressed again. I don't know if this is me naturally falling into my depressive phase or if it's a reaction to the medication. I was as high as a kite only a couple of days ago.

I fully intend on giving this medication a good go but wonder if anyone else has been prescribed this for bipolar and found a dip in mood at the start? Also has anyone found this med helpful and not needed an anti-depressant with it?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry I meant feel drowsy in the morning
  • Posted

Hi, in my experience with meds, when you go up in mgs you feel good, and you are still increasing your meds then have hit a point where your body starts feeling adverse reactions this is called toxicity and just means you need that lower dosage. ( I am not a doctor just a health professional)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.