Quick withdrawal from venlafaxine/"Effexor"

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking 300 mg of venlafaxine for 17 years. I am coming off of it at a rate of 37.5 mg per week. I am currently at 37.5mg. This is approx. my 6th week of withdrawal. I feel like it's the 1960's again...almost like LSD effects. However, I am sick, dizzy, forgetful, talking a mile a minute and feel like crap. Could have run out into the street naked this morning. Venlafaxine is a dangerous drug and I will be glad to be rid of it. The withdrawal is simply insane. Best of luck. Dave "1hunglow"

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Gosh, that one wicked withdrawal. I hear ya with the flashback... 

After 4 months of much the same, headache, dizzy, nausea, crazy mood swings, I started taking a wee dose of 10 beads of Venlafaxine and I'm feeling better. 

I thought I could "tough it out". Wishing I would have followed the Mirco Taper as outlined here under Reducing ADs using 10% withdrawal method:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

My nervous systom still has a long recovery ahead.

Keep us posted,

Jan

• Posted

Why in the world are you coming off so fast?!!! You should NEVER make a cut while having withdrawal symptoms, and should wait a month between cuts. After 17 years on, I hate to say I expect a crash and burn with this taper schule. I should know, having come off much too fast and experiencing protracted wd for 10 months before reinstating. I am now doing the 10% per month taper that I should have done to begin with. I'd been on it for 12 years
    • Posted

betsy 0603, I have been told venlafaxine is THE WORST cause of erectile dysfunction in men who suffer depression. I have not had sex in 2.5 years! I am motivated to get off of venlafaxine so I can attempt to have sexual intercourse. I hope it is not too late, that venlafaxine has somehow destroyed my ability to have an erection or ejaculation. This may sound laughable to someone who has never experienced this curse, but I am suffering beyond belief. Thanks!
    • Posted

Dave, What a destressing situation to be in!

Hope that you are having some relieve from your withdrawal. When I was on Celexa I experienced sexual dysfunction (I’m female) till I started taking Wellbutrin. Too bad I got all buzzed out with Wellbutrin and had to stop it.

IMHO, just wondering if there is another way to approach this as the Effexor withdrawal can be hell. Not that you want to jump from the frying pan into the fire but have you looked at changing or adding an anti-depression with less of a sexual dysfunction risk like Bupropion (Wellbuttrin), Remeron, or Vilazodone? 

I get that there may be other reasons to stop venlafaxine or not start other meds. I just don't want you to suffer if there is another option.

Best of Luck,

Jan

• Posted

Jan, I thank you for your kind and understanding response. I was taking 300 mg venlafaxine aand 300 Wellbutrin for aprrox. 17 years, perhaps longer. My ability to have sexual intercourse has dropped to zero. It happened over a period of time and now of late, (2.5 years) my sexual life and lack of it is simply hell. I am currently down to 75 mg venlafaxine and 150 bupropion. The doctor has added Abilify for the time being but nothing else. I was also on Celexa back ten years ago, but went off of it myself. (That was a terrible withdrawl as well.) I was also on Trazedone and my sleep doctor advised me to stop that which I did. 

In order to sleep. I currently take 3 mg of clonazepam at bedtime.

Looking back, I have been terribly over-medicated and it is no surprise I have serious erectyle dysfunction. Frankly, I am hoping I haven't done permananent damage to my sexual ability with all of this medication. My mother and two siblings have commited suicide, so they look at me as a very high risk. I have never attempted and will not. I have to get beyond the current situation and truly kind of "find out who I really am" after all of these meds.

Thanks and best wishes!

• Posted

Update: I have been so ill, I have increased the venlafaxine to 75 mg. I was crashing too fast and could not function, even drive. I have informed my doctor. 

I want to thank everyone...you have helped me!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.