Quinoa

Posted , 16 users are following.

Trying to eat healthier and limit my carb intake due to substantial weight gain.

Wondering if quinoa is something that would be OK to eat ?

Anyone have good or bad experience eating it ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rocketman, currently I am working out of a pretty bad flare and not eating any grains. So I eat quinoa once of twice a day. I am on an anti-inflammatory diet quinoa fits right in. Good luck on your journey. Try to stay active and positive. 🙂

• Posted

Michdonn, I'd be interested to know more about your anti-inflammatory diet. I never know quite what to eat to try and improve things naturally. There are so many dietary things to consider; low carbs, plus I'm aware of inflammation increasing the risk of cardiovascular disease, so I'm trying to look after my heart, so am cutting out cakes and biscuits, which also fits in with the low carbs.

Enjoy your skiing by the way!

• Posted

Thanks ClaireJG my wife and I eat organic, wild caught SMASH fish, no eggs, no chicken, gluten free, no grains, no dairy we both like cheese, no sugar. We both started our diet with a 28 day cleanse. That is the basics ☺️

• Posted

You like birdseed????? Quinoa is not a food I can summon up any enthusiasm for I fear - but maybe I've not had the right recipe!

However, doesn't sound as if it is ideal in low carb approaches:

https://perfectketo.com/is-quinoa-low-carb/

saves me writing it all. I can't lose weight unless I reduce my useable carb intake below about 30g - and I eat loads of salad and veg that easily take me to that. Adding in quinoa would reduce the veg I could eat, never mind other hidden carbs.

• Posted

Truthfully I don't like anything I am "allowed" to eat while on prednisone but looking for some happy medium.

So quinoa is not considered good for a low carb diet....bummer.

Have to keep searching for an ideal compromise so that it increases the likelihood of it being sustainable.

• Posted

my husband will love this--birdseed! (hes not a fan, obviously).

• Posted

My suggestion is to eat quinoa, farro, and other whole grains as you would meat: as condiments. I like to make a cup or two of these grains and freeze them in 1/2 cup containers, then add to bean soup or kale salad. Andrew Weil has a great recipe for kale pistachio salad that is a delicious main course with the addition of a bit of farro. And a crisp white wine, of course! There are lots of recipes online. I find Andrew Weil's cookbooks to be especially good.

• Posted

I was thinking of growing quinoa for my gardening group trials. It is pretty easy to grow except it is difficult to sort out the grain from the bits around afterwards, I assume the suppliers have machines not just hands! I can think of nicer things to eat anyway.

• Posted

sorry ..have not tried quinoa,but have had relief from aches and pains ,and also lost weight with an anti inflammatory diet.

• Posted

I think quinoa is quite high in protein, isn't it? Haven't made it lately but we did find a recipe on the internet for little quinoa patties which turned out to be quite delicious. They were the "main" part of the meal, like a meat or fish patty, not the carb side. Quinoa is lower in carbs than rice and has more protein. The texture of the patties was nice, chewy like meat, and the other ingredients made them tasty.

I found this to be an enormous recipe, we froze the leftovers for future meals.

Just look up little quinoa patties recipe. The site we used begins with E.

• Posted

It is relatively high in protein - but also carbs,

• Posted

Maybe so, but it has more other nutrients and fibre than even brown rice and is infinitely better than white rice. Unless you absolutely can't eat carbs I think quinoa is a healthy and nutritious food. Its protein and fibre counteract the effect of its carbs on blood sugar. It's not considered either a cereal or a grain, apparently its profile is more like a vegetable. I read that it's a "pseudo-cereal grain" like buckwheat and amaranth. Quinoa is related to spinach and beets.

The biggest problem with quinoa may be what its popularity is doing to its availability in communities where it is the staple food.

• Posted

Didn't say it wasn't nutritionally superior. The question was about use in a low carb diet.

• Posted

Hi rocketman, I am on the anti inflammatory diet and Quinoa is great, it did take a while to discover recipes that include Quinoa. hope it works for you

• Posted

rocketman 42 The nutritional values of quinoa:

One cup of cooked quinoa, weighing 185 grams (g), contains:

222 calories.

8.14 g of protein.

5.2 g of fiber.

3.55 g of fat, of which 0.42 g is saturated.

39.4 g of carbohydrate.

Magnesium - 30 percent recommended daily allowance (RDA)

Manganese - 30 percent RDA.

Folate - 19 percent RDA.

plus it is a complete protein. With that if you eat too much you will gain if you don't have enough activity to burn the carbs and protein. Good luck, stay positive, ACTIVE with a smile. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.