Quitting prozac and starting again

Posted , 20 users are following.

I recently stopped prozac after taking it for 20 years, I was taking 40 mg per day and near the end the doctor upped my dosage to 60 mg as I was feeling very depressed..my main reason for being on it was panic/general anxiety disorder. Well, stupid me I started feeling better and I didn't go back and renew the prescription and a couple of months off I thought I was fine but then had a major panic attack and looking back, I think I did go through withdrawal, mostly coming out in extreme anger and rage.  Anyway the doctor had given me a prescription in case I needed it and it was for the 60 mg so I started it again, it's been just a little over 3 weeks and I am still panicking..today was the worst, I have to take Clonazepam .25 mg twice or more a day to stop it.  He told me that I should've started at the 40 mg not the 60 mg but because it had already been 2 weeks I had to keep taking the 60 mg and ride it out..is it possible the 60 mg has made me more anxious and if so...will it end up working like it did a couple of months ago?  Thank you, I appreciate any opinions just for piece of mind...since I feel like I'm losing mine.  Lol  Oh and I did stop the prozac for a couple of weeks about 9 years ago and the same thing happened but not as severe as this time..will I ever learn?  Lol...thanks for any advice!!

2 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Eva

I have been on prozac for 20 yrs 40 mg a day and I am just weaning myself off them after suffering horrendous withdrawal symptoms when I have stopped abruptly once before. I have done a lot of research on the subject and this is what I think, based on my research and experiences only. I am not qualified medically to give advice but I think I may be able to help you anyway.

Your brain had to adapt to having no medication after 20 yrs of chemical input to make you feel mentally well. By stopping suddenly you didnt give your brain time to adapt to the sudden change so you became anxious and felt so strange you had a major panic attack.Afterall prozac helps to manage our emotions so that makes sense. In desperation after 2 months of no drugs but horrible withdrawal symptoms you took 60mg on a daily basis and your brain (which was struggling to adjust to no medication but was working on it) suddenly had no alternative but to try and deal with the large dose of medication again. I believe its better to ease onto meds just as you need to ease off them to help nature to cope with the change in your consumption. The Clonazepam will be toning down the side effects so that is a help, but I think you may well be better by taking a lower dose of prozac now and building up slowly later to minimise the shock to your brain. Think of teenagers binge drinking when their brains are not seasoned slowly to alcohol over the years. Not ideal! LOL! Anyway I have been desperate enough to have to resort to doing my own research to avoid falling into the situation you have found yourself in at the moment, as I too have had periods of similar hellish symptoms as you from time to time. In summary if I were you and based only on my own personal experiences I would halve my daily prozac dose, take Clonazepam whenever I needed it to feel better while the depression and anxiety gets back under control from prozac. Then gradually up the dosage of prozac if required later. I would advise my dr what I was doing so he could monitor and supervise my wellbeing.

We are all individually different but I wanted to share my thoughts in the hope that it may just help you. I feel for you very much and hope you feel much better soon. Prozac helped you in the past so it will again, its just the transition and dosage that is causing you problems....and they are ghastly. I know.

Abella

• Posted

Oh thank you so much Abella...I think that is what happend too.  When I went to the doctor he told me I should've started again at the 40 mg but the prescription he had ready for  me "just in case I needed it again" was filled for 60 mg and because I was in panic mode and couldn't go out to see him I tried calling him and we played phone tag..that's what I wanted to ask him but by the time I got to his office I had already been taking the 60 mg for almost 2 weeks and he said it was already to long to drop me back down to 40 and to ride it out until the 60 mg kicked in.  I have felt bad before but never like this..this is the most awful nightmare I have ever been through and I am praying to the prozac gods that I will never, ever, ever quit my meds again, Lol!  I'm still very scared, mornings are the worst, I have to take .25 mg of Clonazepam 2 a day and it just gets me through but I guess it just feels like I could never be back again.  It means so much that people like you and Gillian have responded and helped me so much.  We all understand that people who have never had this condition just don't understand..they just say "stop worrying", or "be positive", they just don't get it and the only way they would is if they felt what we feel and I was saying earlier that I wouldn't want this on my worst enemy, lol!  I think I will have to stay on the 60 mg for maybe another 2 weeks, if there is no change, I don't know what the doctor will do.  When he had upped me a few months back from 40 to 60 I felt better so (even though I'm skeptical, from the anxiety, lol) I'm going to assume sooner or later my body will adjust to the 60 mg...and then if I want to lower the dosage I can try that.  I guess I just can't seem to reassure myself that it will work again because I am so bad.  Thank you so much for your advice, all of this really helps and it does help knowing we are not the only ones out there...its a hard thing to accept..it has been for me all my life but I guess we have no choice and just be happy there are things out there to help and people too.  I will keep re-reading your post today to keep me positive, right now it's very hard but I will get through this.  Thanks so much again. xoxoxox

Eva smile

• Posted

Oh and it's 24 days I've been on the prozac so I'm hoping that it's just not long enough..that's why I'm not feeling any better yet.
  • Posted

How are you feeling today? Yesterday was one of your worst days so today hopefully you will be feeling just a little better. The first 3 weeks of Prozac are the panicky ones and after that you should find you are stabilising. You will still take 2 steps forward and one back for a little while, but trust in the process. Dont fear taking Clonozapam to help you through. Now is when you need it. Soon you wont need it any more.

Keep in touch daily and I am happy to join Gillian on your support team.

Big hugs. I am in NZ so you sleep while I am awake.

In the mornings I used to feel my worst too so I took half a Clonozapam as soon as I woke and waited 10 to 20 minutes before I got out of bed. It seemed to take the edge off for me.

You are not alone and we do care very much and understand how difficult it is to believe it wont be like this much longer. I believe the worst is behind you and you will be back to yourself, but you are very fragile right now and need to be gentle with your thoughts. As you and Gillian have said. You just cant think straight right now......but this is temporary. Remember that.

• Posted

I'm feeling a little better Abella as I am giving in to taking the Clonazepam twice a day instead of only once in the morning.  It has made a difference, I guess I'm stubborn but it makes me wonder how I will know the prozac has kicked in..if that makes sense.

Your words have made me feel so much better both of you are dolls. I will let you know how I am doing tomorrow too.  I'm in Canada so I guess you're about 9 hours ahead I'm thinking.

How much Clonazepam did you have to take?  I just hate relying on that stuff but you are right I need it now and have to accept that.  I know the prozac hasn't kicked in yet because of yesterday I just hope it happens sooner than later, Lol!  Thanks for everything...how are you feeling today?? xoxox

• Posted

Hi Eva

Knowing you are feeling a bit more under control has actually made my day. You said how prozac was your life saver. It was mine too, but the Clonazepam was my lifesaver in the early days of prozac. I was under an amazing psychiatrist in Melbourne and I was in hospital for 5 weeks when I first got put on prozac. That was back in the day where depression had just been accepted as a serious condition and I was really nurtured back to the point where I could go home. I still had to find ways to cope though, I vaguely remember and my brain was so messed up I hung on every word my psychiatrist said, as my lifeline. He reassured me that he had treated many people in my condition and that I could trust him that the meds he put me on would get me better. I was paranoid about taking an "addictive" drug like Clonazepam. He said to take them when I need them and try half doses but take full doses if I need to. I was on a really high dose and was as terrified as you. I think its the mental state we are in that makes us stress over anything and everything, especially our meds. I would have felt shocking without them in the early days and weeks of prozac, and I had children to care for, so I had to be able to manage without crying all the time and being a messy marshmallow. I can promise you I managed well under the circumstances and DID NOT become addicted to Clonazepam. I just took some if and when I needed them in the lowest dose that worked. As I stabilised on the Prozac I needed less and less Clonazepam to pick me up when I began that terrifying feeling of anxiety and despair.

When I came off the Prozac and relapsed like you I was under a GP and I knew what I had to do from my psychiatrists advice. A lot of it comes down to having confidence in the solution, which is the drugs.

I have lived a stable life thanks to Prozac apart from my few wobbles caused by going off them. So have you, and so trust that you will again.

I am doing great weaning off them now but I have no problem with weaning back on them if I need to. I accept that I may have to take them forever and just thank God they have worked so well for me.

I just mowed the lawn and now I am going to do some knitting. I am taking good care of myself this time, and dont take anything as serious as weaning off antidepressants lightly anymore.

Pity we have to learn these things the hard way but you will understand completely.

Thanks for reading about me, and keep up your good work.

xxoooxxx

• Posted

Oh Abella...today I am panicky again...I have only taken .25 of the Clonazepam about 20 minutes ago but still feel really scared.   I know it's only been 25 days on the prozac..it's just got to work.  I'm so mad at myself for going off of it.  I'm going to try and trust what you said that it will work again. Thanks for hanging in there with me..I really need this right now. xoxoxoxoxoxo
  • Posted

6 weeks on fluoxetine still not good. Is there still hope? Xx
    • Posted

Is this your first time on it Rachel and what dose are you on? xx
    • Posted

speak with your doctor. obviously everyone is different, but I was feeling like a "normal person" after about two weeks on the 10 mg. I was then moved up to taking 10 mg twice a day, once in the morning then once at night. Then after about three months, taking a 20 mg pill once a day. 

• Posted

I was really anxious when starting at only 10mg. I think I'd bounce off the walls at 60mg. I'd reduce it and build up slower but that's me. Xx
    • Posted

I was on 40 mg originally and then he upped it to 60 as I had been on it for so long and then stupid me decided to just go cold turkey, big mistake, I'm paying for it now but I started again on the 60 not the original 40 he had me on and I think it was too hight but he said since I had already been on it for 2 weeks he didn't want me to drop down again to 40 just to ride it out and see how the 60 worked.  God, I hope it works soon!  Maybe it's just that 10mg is not enough for you Rachel...maybe try at least 20mg.
    • Posted

I'm on 20mg now have been for 5weeks 10mg was the first five days. Just want the disconnected feeling to go away its awful feels like a dream also the insomnia, did u get this?. Cold turkey from 60mg jeeez no wonder ur not feeling great. I hope it works out very soon for u !!! (((Hugs)))
    • Posted

Oh yeah and worse..but when I first started prozac 20 years ago it worked for me, it was like I came out from under a dark cloud and I could breathe again...I stopped worrying all the time about everything, the panic stopped it was euphoria..god how I long for those days again.  I think being on the 40mg for so long maybe my body built up a tolerance to it that's why the doc put me on the 60 back in July when I was getting depressed and it seemed to lift me out of it and then I don't know why I just finished my prescription and didn't renew it and I felt so good then I noticed I couldn't control my anger and then it got worse and next thing you know I'm out and have a panic attack...that was almost a month ago now and the prozac still hasn't kicked in...so all in all I was off of the prozac a little over 2 months..I guess my body couldn't take it..now it's like starting all over again only this time I started higher and have to ride it out...Iike I said..I keep praying to the prozac gods for this damn thing to work again, Lol! Don't worry, it sounds like you are on your way but if 20mg isn't enough  you might have to try 40mg, don't be afraid to though.  It saved me and I'm grateful for it. Talk to your doctor. xoxox  You sound like your handling it well though...keep it up...trust me, if I can get better than so can you! xo smile
    • Posted

I'm scared coz if the meds cause the bubble,/spaced out feeling I'd hate to up it and it get worse as I hate that feeling I fear it ! U did it once u will do it again!!!! Best wishes biggrin)) 
    • Posted

I understand what you mean by the fear..totally!  Thanks for the vote of confidence...I was well once, I can be well again, thanks Rachel..hope you are feeling good today smile
    • Posted

Had a good day today , iv got flu but I don't feel depressed or anxious (maybe coz I'm just thinking of the flu) iv now come up to bed (UK) and Iv racing thoughts of o my god tomorrow will be awful, tomorrow won't be ok like today! Why does this happen? I can't control it at all its so so silly ! 
    • Posted

Well I do know its the fear the fear of the feeling been there when we wake and because we fear it its going to be there ..... Circles !
    • Posted

That's the stupid cycle of anxiety....we know it's silly, we know we are rational people but we can't stop the irrational thoughts or fears...it really is a pain in the ass!!! Lol  It happens to me too, we just have to have faith like Abella said that it will eventually work and not to be afraid, we were well once, we will be again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.