RA and Throat Closing/Choking

Posted , 20 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has had their throat close up when eating certain minds of food? My throat has closed up creating much mucous and closing of my throat, and not being able to breath. There is little ability for my throat muscles to eject the food, as it closes shut, and not being able to breath, for up to 25 seconds. This feels like I may not one time not be able to clear or open my throat, as I gasp for air.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cheria

i am so sorry you re feeling like this. Should you call the dr- it seems quite frightening? I have never experienced this. Is it an allergic reaction?It sounds like you should get medical advice straight away. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you birdie..It is petrifying. I have heard of nodules growing in the esophagus of those with RA, and thought possibly this is what is involved, It has happened three times in the past 2 wks and is so frightening.
    • Posted

Hello, I was searching for symptoms that I have been having off and on for some time now. It seemingly only happens when I am very starving and rushing to eat or when I have actually eaten or tried to each white rice, shrimp, and some pastas.  I have had an incident at a restaurant about 6 months ago, I had ordered a shrimp salad (it had mostly lettuce and various other greens in it) the moment I swallowed ...God my throat actually closed up...I stood up to try to change my position (was sitting) to standing hoping to change the position of the food in my throat and lost some consciousness for about 3-4 seconds (had to be helped up).  Once I was able to get the bathroom I had to 'up chuck' whatever was in my throat ...and it helped tremendously...but this happens weirdly only every other month or every 2-3 months intervals.  Only when I am eating rices, shrimp, pastas...this happens.  I feel it is a form of a 'FOOD ALLERGY' and could be and possibly a form of esphospheal pressure of some sort.  I was very happy...(not in a negative way); but to see and read that others have had these similar episodes.  I remember having such episodes when I was much younger and they seemingly disappeared.  This is a very upsetting illness ...that I never know when I am consuming food it will appear again.  I am very careful now with what I eat and have noticed that I do not have these digestive problems occur when I do so.  I am making an appointment to see a GI doctor (I guess that would be the best type of physician). But I have always had trouble with most foods and really did not like or trying to digest beef, lamb, chicken etc.  I love fish...but cannot only digest fish with bones and some fillets.  I am not a lover of Tuna fish and do not have it often.  I am white rice lover and it does not love me.  Brown rice is much better and healthier for me...but when I am eating out ...I forget to make sure that white rice is not part of my menu.  So, unfortunately, I would have a minor episode (requires me to spit out that portion that had the white rice in it); not very good public table manners.  I must be always on guard and note immediately what is safe to eat. 

• Posted

I have just googled and found RA can affect larynx and cricoartenoid joint in throat. Symptoms are hoarseness, lump in throat, difficulty breathing, choking sensation, change in voice sound.

so it sounds possible to be effect of RA but still, problems breathing is serious. I d still get medical advice ASAP! Take care.

• Posted

Yes, this really only happens when I eat things such as wheat bread, meat, deli meat with rinds, skin on meat, cheese (melted and unmelted), anything chewy.  Drinking water with this does not help, not does eating in small bites.  My throat completely closes up and the food is stuck in the throat usually just at the entrance.. the first time this happened about 2 weeks ago, it was a piece of dark meat turkey.. I could not breath at all, or talk, and felt myself to have the delirium that comes with panic and not being able to breath.  I don't know why I cannot eject this well, or why mucus fills my throat completely as this is happening, which makes me further, not able to breath.  I am taking baclofen, a muscle relaxor, for my neck and head, and wondered if it had something to do with that, as to why my throat muscles can't eject. Possibly my body is rejecting these foods, which then makes incredible mucus instantly, which then closes my throat.. I just know that I need to see a doctor to help. I am afraid to eat something that will close my throat,  not knowing that it will effect me this way. I think I will be safe eating purreed foods and vegetable/fruit smoothies. 
    • Posted

That is odd, mine started when I started Baclofen.................hmmm
  • Posted

Hi, yes this hapoens to me, it is horrible. I used to wake up choking every night till doc prescribed cetirizine, anihistermines. I still stuggle but at least I amot waking choking now.thatused to terrify me. Try antihistermines. I was also prescribed a nasal spray which I only have to use occasionally now. Good luck x
    • Posted

I really do think that my problem is something different than yours, as this only happens when I eat, and I never have a problem with mucus any other time.  I don't have a plugged nose or sinuses at all. But it's as if my throat muscles are tightening and closing my throat shut. The food then gets stuck in my throat, and there is no airway. 
    • Posted

Hello, I was searching for symptoms that I have been having off and on for some time now. It seemingly only happens when I am very starving and rushing to eat or when I have actually eaten or tried to each white rice, shrimp, and some pastas.  I have had an incident at a restaurant about 6 months ago, I had ordered a shrimp salad (it had mostly lettuce and various other greens in it) the moment I swallowed ...God my throat actually closed up...I stood up to try to change my position (was sitting) to standing hoping to change the position of the food in my throat and lost some consciousness for about 3-4 seconds (had to be helped up).  Once I was able to get the bathroom I had to 'up chuck' whatever was in my throat ...and it helped tremendously...but this happens weirdly only every other month or every 2-3 months intervals.  Only when I am eating rices, shrimp, pastas...this happens.  I feel it is a form of a 'FOOD ALLERGY' and could be and possibly a form of esphospheal pressure of some sort.  I was very happy...(not in a negative way); but to see and read that others have had these similar episodes.  I remember having such episodes when I was much younger and they seemingly disappeared.  This is a very upsetting illness ...that I never know when I am consuming food it will appear again.  I am very careful now with what I eat and have noticed that I do not have these digestive problems occur when I do so.  I am making an appointment to see a GI doctor (I guess that would be the best type of physician). But I have always had trouble with most foods and really did not like or trying to digest beef, lamb, chicken etc.  I love fish...but cannot only digest fish with bones and some fillets.  I am not a lover of Tuna fish and do not have it often.  I am white rice lover and it does not love me.  Brown rice is much better and healthier for me...but when I am eating out ...I forget to make sure that white rice is not part of my menu.  So, unfortunately, I would have a minor episode (requires me to spit out that portion that had the white rice in it); not very good public table manners.  I must be always on guard and note immediately what is safe to eat. 

• Posted

Cheria, I have had this happen to me on and off but have never associated it with RA. It usually happens if I am very hungry and eat a few bites of food faster than normal, and it is more likely to happen with foods that are starchy, like bread or rice. I've had upper barium test done with no findings, as doc thought I may have a hernia. It can be very painful and frightening waiting for the food to go down and body produces a great amount of saliva. I've tried drinking water, but it seems to just sit on top. Recently, I have asked my husband to hit me between the shoulder blades, and that seems to help. Also, if I catch it quickly and force gulp a large amount of water, that sometimes helps.
  • Posted

I've just had this happen to me today. And I've had this before in the past. The way mine works is, my when my body is cold I'm fine to eat any food, but once my body warms up and gets hot that's when I have problems. Then my esophagus closes up and it feels like I'm choking on my food. So I get to run to the bathroom and puke it out. I have pills to take when this happens and it works cause it opens up my airway. And like you I have a lot of mucus build up in my throat that causes me to puke it all out. Mine actually started when I worked at a place lifting windows and I went to see a chiropractor and he told me that 4 of my neck vertebraes were out. And I'm thinking now that it might be a thyroid problem to.
  • Posted

I have had this exact same problem for the last 15 years starting when I was in high school. The things that have been in common when I get this reaction is that I am normally eating dry foods. Chicken and rice bring it on the most frequently. Dry meats are another usual cause. Today was the first time I had it from eating vegetables. They were left out last night and really dry this morning.

I have had reactions as mild as, I will start to feel the choking sensation come on and I will stop eating for a while and then take a small drink of water and it will go away.

My worst ones, I feel like I'm going to die. I have had it where I feel like I'm choking for several minutes getting infrequent quick gasps of air. Then I will have the clogged throat feeling for up to an hour, where I can't even swallow a small drink of water to flush it down without bringing back the choking feeling.

Did you ever find out how to fix this? From what I have read on other sites it looks like Esophageal spasms might be the cause. Not sure exactly how they fix this, though.

• Posted

I have not had any moment where i had to gasp for air but i do understand the choking and hard to breathe part. I thought i was the only one. Everytime i eat ill choke because the mucus in my throat will not let me swallow . Its like it closes up once i swallow my food or drink and i begin to choke. I also have to spit up the thick mucus stuck n my throat its like im play tug a war with the mucus cuz its so thick i cant get it all out if i tried. I do have dust allergies though. Try gaggling salt water 3 or 4 times a day and see if that helps.
  • Posted

Hi Cheria,

Were you ever diagnosed ? I have the exact same thing. Any info will be helpful.

• Posted

Hello,

Yes i have had this problem for many years. It usually happens when i eat chicken or rice and when i'm starving hungry. Sometimes the portion i've eaten can be very small or on my first bite, but perhaps it is when i haven't chewed properly. I feel it coming and it escalates and becomes worse. Can sometimes last for 10-15 mins. The throat tightens and all of the muscles in my throat contract. I can only gasp for air - my airway is not completely blocked but airflow is definitely limited. Talking is very difficult. I found in the past if i could sip some water it may release the blockage, but nowadays it seems to just sit there and add to the problem. When the throat decides to release the food it is a great feeling and instantly i feel normal again.

I went to the doctor and ended up with a scan where i did a swallowing test but of course in perfect conditions there were no issues shown.

The way i deal with it now - stop eating immediately and do not swallow anything more. I hang tight for a minute or so to see if it will subside. If it doesn't subside or is getting worse I then will need to stick my finger down my throat and make myself vomit to eject the food basically. I have found that if i do this straight away it is less stressful then dealing with the thought that you may suffocate to death for 10-15mins! In alot of instances i have to make myself sick a few times to release the pressure.

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.