RA and Throat Closing/Choking

Posted , 20 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has had their throat close up when eating certain minds of food? My throat has closed up creating much mucous and closing of my throat, and not being able to breath. There is little ability for my throat muscles to eject the food, as it closes shut, and not being able to breath, for up to 25 seconds. This feels like I may not one time not be able to clear or open my throat, as I gasp for air.

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's called 'dysphagia', I've had it for a number of years, well before I was diagnosed with RA.   It is not usually associated with RA but there are a number of causes.   In my case it was simply a narrowing of the esophagus,   I underwent underwent an 'Esophageal Dilation' a month or three ago.   A  device is placed down your throat to the area concerned and inflated thus enlarging the esophagus.   Post procedure there are no side effects, no pain, etc; however, you will need a diagnosis to determine the cause and if 'Esophageal Dilation' is warranted you may need to undergo the procedure more than once.   I was lucky once was all it took and I now have no problems.   Horrid thing though, takes ages to get anything down, about 7-8 shots at it and it is a horrible feeling,.   For me it felt like I had a cricket ball lodged in my esophagus and caused a very heavy saliva output until the swallowing was complete.

• Posted

Hello, I was searching for symptoms that I have been having off and on for some time now. It seemingly only happens when I am very starving and rushing to eat or when I have actually eaten or tried to each white rice, shrimp, and some pastas.  I have had an incident at a restaurant about 6 months ago, I had ordered a shrimp salad (it had mostly lettuce and various other greens in it) the moment I swallowed ...God my throat actually closed up...I stood up to try to change my position (was sitting) to standing hoping to change the position of the food in my throat and lost some consciousness for about 3-4 seconds (had to be helped up).  Once I was able to get the bathroom I had to 'up chuck' whatever was in my throat ...and it helped tremendously...but this happens weirdly only every other month or every 2-3 months intervals.  Only when I am eating rices, shrimp, pastas...this happens.  I feel it is a form of a 'FOOD ALLERGY' and could be and possibly a form of esphospheal pressure of some sort.  I was very happy...(not in a negative way); but to see and read that others have had these similar episodes.  I remember having such episodes when I was much younger and they seemingly disappeared.  This is a very upsetting illness ...that I never know when I am consuming food it will appear again.  I am very careful now with what I eat and have noticed that I do not have these digestive problems occur when I do so.  I am making an appointment to see a GI doctor (I guess that would be the best type of physician). But I have always had trouble with most foods and really did not like or trying to digest beef, lamb, chicken etc.  I love fish...but cannot only digest fish with bones and some fillets.  I am not a lover of Tuna fish and do not have it often.  I am white rice lover and it does not love me.  Brown rice is much better and healthier for me...but when I am eating out ...I forget to make sure that white rice is not part of my menu.  So, unfortunately, I would have a minor episode (requires me to spit out that portion that had the white rice in it); not very good public table manners.  I must be always on guard and note immediately what is safe to eat. 

• Posted

Take small bites and chew, chew, chew.   When drinking sip, sip, sip.   Cold water I found the worst.
  • Posted

Have you researched Eosinophilic Esophagitis?  I have had the problem that you do.  It happens with rice, apples, lunchmeat.  The doctor has diagnosed me with it.
    • Posted

Hello, I was searching for symptoms that I have been having off and on for some time now. It seemingly only happens when I am very starving and rushing to eat or when I have actually eaten or tried to each white rice, shrimp, and some pastas.  I have had an incident at a restaurant about 6 months ago, I had ordered a shrimp salad (it had mostly lettuce and various other greens in it) the moment I swallowed ...God my throat actually closed up...I stood up to try to change my position (was sitting) to standing hoping to change the position of the food in my throat and lost some consciousness for about 3-4 seconds (had to be helped up).  Once I was able to get the bathroom I had to 'up chuck' whatever was in my throat ...and it helped tremendously...but this happens weirdly only every other month or every 2-3 months intervals.  Only when I am eating rices, shrimp, pastas...this happens.  I feel it is a form of a 'FOOD ALLERGY' and could be and possibly a form of esphospheal pressure of some sort.  I was very happy...(not in a negative way); but to see and read that others have had these similar episodes.  I remember having such episodes when I was much younger and they seemingly disappeared.  This is a very upsetting illness ...that I never know when I am consuming food it will appear again.  I am very careful now with what I eat and have noticed that I do not have these digestive problems occur when I do so.  I am making an appointment to see a GI doctor (I guess that would be the best type of physician). But I have always had trouble with most foods and really did not like or trying to digest beef, lamb, chicken etc.  I love fish...but cannot only digest fish with bones and some fillets.  I am not a lover of Tuna fish and do not have it often.  I am white rice lover and it does not love me.  Brown rice is much better and healthier for me...but when I am eating out ...I forget to make sure that white rice is not part of my menu.  So, unfortunately, I would have a minor episode (requires me to spit out that portion that had the white rice in it); not very good public table manners.  I must be always on guard and note immediately what is safe to eat. 

• Posted

Hi Cheria. I'm a 16 year old and I've had the same problem for about 4 years now, although mine is not constant. I only ever get my throat swelling and shutting when I eat sweet like foods, like chocolate. It lasts for around 25 seconds and I find myself also gasping for air. The only thing that helps it is taking a quick drink of water (which I can hardly swallow as it is happening). I know my Grandma has throat problems, she goes into a coughing fit whenever she eats, as does my Dad. However, this is not the same as what I have. I'm desperate for answers. I know it's been 2 years since you posted this but I hope by now you would have gotten some answers and can share them with me. I'm terrified that one day my throat won't open. Any tips?  

• Posted

I have had a similar version on/off my whole life, I haven't had it recently, but yes it is very scary.  I don't recall the mucous, but more of a tightening, pain type feeling, and I would start to panic, thinking I am choking.  I remember the last time I tried a cup of very hot near boiling water and it worked.  Also I have tried to stand lift my hands in air and try to relax (I know it is hard to relax) but I think we can cause it to be worse if we tense up.  I had testing but of course they never found anything.

• Posted

• Posted

I have the same issues.  At first I thought it was canned tuna.  Today, it was turkey sandwich!  Help!  
    • Posted

• Posted

What it seems like to me is that the fliud you are drinking with meal is causing the bread, rice to swell and nearly blocking your Esophagus. This can also cause you to choke on other foods.

Also can cause spasms which you feel up in throat. The mucous is formed as body's way of trying to get rid a foreign body which is how it is perceived in this situation.

After having Nissan Fundoplication surgery I have experienced this. Now i drink liquids at separate time that i am going to eat. Especially if it is rice or bread.

• Posted

I have had on many occasions choking episodes, gasping for breath, making horrendous noises. Some over the tiniest bit of food. Others over nothing at all. Just breathing in too quickly. Been woken up many times gasping for breath too. Then I found this on the internet, and it seemed to explain mine. Laryngitis Episodes
  • Posted

I do not have RA but my husband suffers greatly with it. Just last week he went to see an ENT because he has been having some choking episodes. His is mainly water but solid foods do sometimes trigger it. She used a scope and saw a lot of thick, sticky mucus in the back of his throat. She said that the heated, dry air in thr house plus probably some allergy has his sinus causing this and to try using a face steamer 2 or 3 times a day for 10 or 15 minutes each time. She has recommended this to a number of patients and it helps greatly to thin the secretions. So we ordered one from Amazon and it will be here in two days. Its the same thing lots of women use to moisturize their facial skin and open up pores. So, he will use it for dry throat and I get to use it to try and rejuvenate my 67 year old sun damaged face! I hope this will be a win, win for us both.
  • Posted

• Posted

Hi know I'm alittle couple years to respond. But first was wonding if you got to your doc and got in answer for your condition? Mine does not happen when mucus builds up. It seem s to just happened when ever. But it happens weather I eat or drink anything. There's no symmetry to it just spontaneous and happens when I'm sleeping it wakes me up. I'm not choking on anything my throat closes and can't breath. I lean my head and upper body forward looking at the ground and then I'm able to spite out what ever left in my mouth. By then I can get some air. Takes a few seconds more then I'm o.k. waking up becuz it is happening is the scariest. I do have an auto immune disorder. So when I saw RA mentioned I am wondering if you found it to be an effect from it?.

• Posted

Sadly, I have to report that we never really found out what the exact cause was. My husband had many chronic illnesses and he passed away in May. What finally started the end for him was a severe choking episode where one of his medication pills got hung in his throat and his esophagus just closed up. I thought he was having a heart attack as he was turning blue. Emt's took him to the hospital and by the time I got to the ER, he was smiling and talking. They observed a bright red spot in his throat and the last pill he had tried to swallow had a red coating on it. This was a Saturday night so a swallow test was scheduled for Monday. By Monday, his encephalophy from cirrhosis had him almost comatose and no amount of meds would pull him out of it. We did tube feeding for 3 days then brought him home on hospice and he passed away less that 48 hours later. Something was wrong with his throat but without the swallow test being able to be done, we will never know what it was. If you continue with problems, ask for a swallow test. It can tell the ENT people a lot!

• Posted

I am so sorry for your lost. My heart goes out for you. With what had been disgust with in the commenters there a good chance that this kinda of health problem may allow others who also see and read this. To go seek help I know I am. Thank you for sharing with me. Stay strong take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.