Racing Heart Beat on Day 13

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just had a racing heart beat out of nowhere. I am on day 13 of Prozac after a break of a year (was on it for almost 20 years). Has anybody else had this? I started to panic so took 4mg of diazepam which has calmed me down slightly.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dom

I am on week 6 of fluoxetine and have been having awful palpitations and chest pain. This is not a symptom i had before the drug. I hope it passes for us soon xxx

• Posted

Hello Star,

I never had it before either. It's one thing that might make me change meds but it worked fine for me last time. Weird thing is I had almost no side effects the first time around. This time it is different.

I would love to be at week 6! How much better is it than week 2?

• Posted

Hi dom

Week 6 is easier the obsessional thoughts have got alot lot better they are barely there now and the spaced out tired feeling has gone  but inplace of it i have this chest pain and i am struggling to sleep at night.  The depression had lofted alot but i still get down when its my time of the month.

What is ur dose and what time of day do you take it? I take mine in the evening and take 15mg i am trying to bring it earlier in the hope i will sleep better.

I think i could deal with the hert symptoms if i knew they werwnt dangerous but i worry this med is going to clog my arteries and cause a heart attack or stroke or something but i know thats  mist likely my anxiety talking xxx

• Posted

Hello Star,

I'm on 20mg and take it in the morning. That is supposedly the best time to take it but I know people vary. My sleep is abominable but improving a bit daily. I slept like a log before I started on it.

I think a thumping feeling in the chest is quite common but 99% sure there's no risk of heart attack of stroke from it. Have been researching loads about it. I had that throb in my temples (from the Prozac rewire?) but checked my BP and was pretty normal.

I guess you're at the stage soon where you know whether or not it is for you.

I haven't yawned in a week but have the spaced out feeling ...

So you still have anxiety at week 6? How much has it improved?

• Posted

Hi dom

The depression is alot better but the anxiety isnt. The intrusive scary thoughts are alot better but i think the physical feelings like the heart symptoms are worse if im honest. Night times are awful i either cant sleep or wake up in a night sweat having really bad nightmares and panicing. Are you on it for depression or anxiety? Xx

• Posted

Hello Star,

I am on it for both anxiety and depression now. Originally I was only on it for depression, but started getting panic attacks when I quit.

The doc gave my Lorazepam for sleep today, and said that a BPM of 120 is not an A&E situation even tho' my normal resting heart beat is 60ish. I think you need something got your sleep. What have you tried? I'll give Prozac 8 weeks then I am outta here. My intrusive thoughts are pretty much gone now on day 14 x

• Posted

I feel the same. I have been on it 6 weeks and dont fancy the depression right before christmas so im going to give it until after xmas them if i still have all this stuff going on im going to taper off. The heart symptoms are worrying me xxx
    • Posted

Well there are a tonne of others that you can pretty much go straight on to if it doesn't work out. Here's some links I found for ones I am interested in if things go belly up wink

http://wiki.psychiatrienet.nl/index.php/Fluoxetine-mirtazapine

http://wiki.psychiatrienet.nl/index.php/Fluoxetine-citalopram

http://wiki.psychiatrienet.nl/index.php/Fluoxetine-sertraline

http://wiki.psychiatrienet.nl/index.php/Fluoxetine-venlafaxine

http://wiki.psychiatrienet.nl/index.php/Fluoxetine-paroxetine

You'll bve on 10 weeks by Christmas Star. You may be great by then. I will try half a Lorazepam tonight and report back on sleep. Doc said take a whole one but I'll give half a try first.

Based on my doc today I don't thing the heart symptoms are actually dangerous. It is a racing heart and makes us even more anxious, but the heart is capable of way more. We just wake up in a sweat because it's like we've been working out in our sleep but the heat can't get out because of our duvets. But then all this is easy to say when my heart isn't racing.

I have everything crossed for you x

• Posted

Hello Star, did you try the breathing exercises where you breathe in completely through nose, wait three seconds, then breath out using lips to make sure it is nice and slow? Deffo helps me a little.
    • Posted

hi star ..o know its an old post but did the Palpitations ever stop ? I'm on week 6 and getting palpitations occasional scare the crap outta me!

• Posted

Hey Dom , I'm on day 10 and last night I had an extreme amount do chest pain , only lasted 5 minutes but was scary enough for me to call an ambulance, they checked me out and said I was fine , no heart problems, today I see doctor and he told me the same but did say flo messes up stomach acid levels and he said he believes that's what caused my pain , after the ambulance left I took my quetiapine and that carmed me down down slightly . All I can say is try not to panic and maybe speak to your docto r for reassurance. Joe 

• Posted

Hello Joe,

Sorry it was so bad for you that you had to get an ambulance, but great that it was just 5 minutes. It is such early days for us that based on my past usage I think we will be fine. It was a fantastic med last time I was on it. The weird thing this time is Prozac stopped my obsessional thoughts within a day, and stopped the panic adrenalin rushes within 3 or 4, so something good is going on. I still feel like I will panic, but don't actually get there.

Let's make a pact to get to day 42 wink

Did you get insomnia?

• Posted

A pact it is ..... One day at a time for us both , and yes I do insomnia very badly . I use the quetiapine to help me sleep ....
  • Posted

I Dom, I am a long term user, two weeks into a re start ofter coming off only months ago, Not in a good place as I am suffering non epileptic attacks. Went to AE on sunday, Doctor said that my natural Seritonin system was damaged and I will be on Fluo; for the rest of my life, He said I should have been taken off it years ago.

I wish you the best of luck, John

• Posted

Hello John, so after being off for just a couple of months you have all the side effects starting again? I'm on it for good too if it works this time. Fingers crossed. We aren't going to give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.