Racing mind, uncontrollable bizarre or gloomy thoughts

Posted , 19 users are following.

Does any one else suffer with extremely fast uncontrollable thoughts rushing into your head, and mostly all negative, dark or weird, scary or worrying about future, or health, been alone. Etc. Don't think there's a thought I havnt thought lol but when it happens it's like something else is talking over your mind and it's really terrifying.

It's comes with like I can only discribe it as sensory overload. Everything starts to look weird or different, or light and sound seems exaggerated, and like objects are jumping out at you that normally you wouldn't even notice. Also I notice it's like I'm super aware of my own body to, any sensation in my body, I'm so aware of, drives me mad, and makes me more anxious and scared.

Wondering if anyone out there gets it also..?

Is this another delight of perimenopause??

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi rachael !!! oh yes ma'am!! another post of yours i could have written!!!! ❤❤❤

• Posted

Hi, it's so nice to hear its not just me lol nice to know there's others out there with same thing going on in their heads and bodies.

As it can really make you feel mad and down. So its a real reassurance and support to hear from other women going through the same thing.

Hope you feel better soon too, big hugs xx

• Posted

mornings seem to be the worst for me!! racing heart, paniky thoughts!!! it wears me out!!!

• Posted

Rachel I started a thread on this very thing about three months ago. I'm postmenopausal but started symptoms late. I'm getting better and it will pass. But when it's happening you think you are dying. I didn't gave the things jumping out at me but food doesn't taste like it used to. That's getting a little better too.

We're here for you. Hang on!❤🤗

• Posted

Hi thank you for your message and support. Everyone on here has been so lovely and reassuring. It really helps hearing everyone else's stories and journeys. Knowing your not alone in this difficult time really does help.

Big hugs to you and everyone else who has messaged me back. Can't thank you enough 🙏😊❤️

• Posted

I take a mild old school Antidepressant called Trazodone. It's a SNRI not a SSRI like Celexa, Zoloft, or Prozac. I'm on a fairly low dose. I also take Valium as needed (but I only take that if I'm having a really tough day). Other than that I take a good multivitamin, magnesium, and D3. Sometimes at work when I feel like just cursing at people and walking out, I put my earbuds in and listen to meditation. I pray a lot. Don't forget to stay hydrated. Hang on it will get better. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it will. Like my hot flashes, I just woke up one day and they were gone.

• Posted

Hi Juanita

whats the difference with Trazodone compared to the others? Im having a realllllllly hard time making the decision to take medication. Really afraid to actually. The Dr mentioned zoloft and starting off real slow like opening the capsule and taking out like 10 of the beads at a time and starting out that way.

Bottom line is i dont want to put it in my body because im afraid its going to make me feel worse then i already do like the effexor did.

• Posted

Basically from what I can tell SSRI's affect more of the serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and are for people with major depression. SNRI's do the the same but affect less of the serotonin, hence less side effects. I Tried Celexa, Zoloft, and Prozac. The side effects were too much for me. They say if you tough it out you will feel better, but I was having none of it. Loose stools, shaking like a leaf, dark thoughts, , unable to sleep, that's just a snapshot of what I experienced. These side effects can last anywhere from two to eight weeks before you feel better. But I know two women one on Lexapro and one on Prozac that had no side effects. Everyone is different. I wouldn't take Zoloft again on a dare. It's trial and error. I'm still working so I had to take something to function. I hope you can find some relief soon. Talking on this forum was a Godsend for me.

❤❤❤❤🤗🤗🤗

• Posted

Thank you- yes i know someone who is taking lexapro and she says it helps but she told me about the shaking. Would it be too much to ask for there to be one medication that could work for everyone with no side effects haha. I get so sad for everyone- just want everyone to be able to live a normal happy life, until then just keep praying and do the best we can one day at a time ❤❣❤❣

• Posted

i get these awful scary horrible thoughts usually connected with hot flushes. the thoughts are random and terryfyingly dark i imagine cutting and blood and other thoughts that scare the hell out of me but i've come to realize its all connected with menopause especially hot flushes and i tell my self this too shall pass, one day at a time, take it easy and be kind to yourself, but like you said its like your mind has been taken over and its not you, i understand this you ate not alone keep coming back here these ladies are very courageous, and they help a lot take care

julie

• Posted

Thank you for your message and support, yes this site is a god send 😊🙏 keep strong to, big hugs.

• Posted

Wow! I am not alone! This is the first time that I have read a post like this on this forum. Thank-you very much for sharing and being candid; it's important, so that women can understand the severity of perimenopause for some women.

I, too, have been terrified and terrorized by my mind, but they are images, more than thoughts. I have seen things like my throat being slashed or my insides coming out. I was horrified and scared stiff, but I knew, deep down, that it had to be hormones. I am 50 now, and up until about a year ago, I never saw or even contemplated such horror! I discussed this with my psychiatrist, and he said that he wasn't sure what to make of it!

To live like this has been beyond painful. I have practically had a nervous breakdown, but I have massive support, and I have shared everything that I have been experiencing with those who love me, and everyone has stood firmly behind me.

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I went through this phase a couple or three yrs ago. That time I neither had any idea of menopause (I was still getting regular periods...and for me that was a sign that I was not in menopause, and had no idea of something called perimenopause). I am usually a very practical and down to earth kind of a girl and specially during the holidays that year, I had the worst of anxiety attacks, feeling that I would be all alone, die alone (have no kids, but do have a loving husband), would have no friends and would just rot away. I was so anxious that I dreaded sleep time! Now when I think back I do realise that I was entering peri and it was "normal".

It was long long after that I found this site, and it has been like a manna from heaven, with not just support from everyone, but you get answers to even the silliest of questions.

But yes, the anxiety feelings, feeling of doom etc is for some unknown reason normal during the transition period.

Hang in there and do check this support group often. It has been my big saviour!

• Posted

No, I am just taking some multi-vitamin - one / day specifically for 50+ woman. It has 13 vitamins and 9 minerals, D-vit drops and magnesium oil spray.

I feel the vit D and magnesium is most useful for us.

I used to take 1 tbsp of sunflower Lecithin every day, but have not done so for a week now, mainly coz my normal nature health store was out of stock. Should get it in a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.