Radioiodine treatment - Real life view wanted!

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid nearly 3 years ago and was treated with PTU for a while (I reacted badly to Carbimazole). I stabilsed and they took me off the medication just over a year ago. I remained stable for about 6 months or so, but at my last check up they said my blood test was showing overactivity again. They wanted to wait a few months before doing anything incase it was an anomoly, but if not they are talking about giving me radioiodine.

My next check up is next week and I'd be interested to hear some real life experiences of the effect of radioiodine incase that's the route they advise. Were there any side-effects? Did it make people feel ill? Did you have to stay off work? And I guess most importantly did it solve your thyroid problems?

Any advice much appreciated!

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm on my second bout of hyperthyroidism and now my levels are normal but the nurse called and said that they were going to book me into the clinic in March and talk about having RAI or the operation.

I'm worried that on going hypo that I'll put on weight (I've heard this happens). I've never been overweight in my life.

Can anyone tell me if they've struggled with their weight after RAI?

• Posted

I had radio iodine 8 weeks ago , for my over active thyroid and im still off work with side affects! The first two weeks were great, no problems. Then i developed swollen neck with tenderness which wasn`t a problem, but i lost my voice for two weeks as i had an infection.Developed the worst cough i have ever experienced. kept me up most of the night and lasted approx two weeks. Thought i was just picking up apart from the voice coming and going, then had the runs! Two weeks later i am still suffering badly at times with the runs. Cant eat because it goes straight through me, but feel light headed so i try something light to eat. As soon as i eat it, i feel nauseas and wish i hadn`t ate, the stomach pains come and its gone through me again!! So weak and drained, tried dioralyte, but that dont help either. Going to doctors again because i cant go on like this! Probably the worst thing i`ve ever done was to have radio iodine! If it hasn`t worked there is no way i will have it again! Im lucky my employer has been good with me. I suffer fibro myalgia too so im not sure if that has made a difference.
  • Posted

Hello All,

Somehow I seem to have lost where I posted before..... I'm reading all the views with great interest. I too, have been advised to have RAI but all my gut instincts tell me to stay away from swallowing something radioactive! I imagine it going into my stomach, kidneys and bladder...... Also, when I asked my consultant (here in Ireland) how they determine the dose, he told me it was a standard dose. Well, I'm only a little person and standard might be too much for me I feel. If doctors are now thinking away from RAI, what are the alternatives apart from surgery? I've been told that with surgery one risks losing one's voice. I also have thyroid eye which could worsen with RAI. All this has made my already anxious state even more anxious!

• Posted

hmm lots of worrying posts about radio iodine...I got my Graves' disease diagnosis yesterday and am now faced with two options, radioiodine or surgery. I've been told that because I have Graves' if i went for the surgery option it's likely that they would have to remove most of if not all of my thyroid so would definitely end up on thyroxine for life. The doctor told me that Radioiodine treatment has about a 25% chance of making me underactive in the future and to consider the social aspects, time off work and isolation etc.

It's not like there's any other option, both Carbimazole and Propyllthiouricil leave me feeling nauseous most of the time. I'm not so scared about RAI because they have been using this treatment for over 60 years but the side effects some people have experienced are really worrying. I'm 29 year old, I don't have kids but live with my partner and not really sure what to do next...no one seems to have had an okay experience with RAI, it's either the best or worst thing they've ever done. I've seen a similar number of posts saying that thyroid surgery was the biggest mistake people ever made. I take it there's no third option they just don't tell you about...?? Wishful thinking i know

• Posted

After I Took Rai, my doctor discontinue my anti thyroid meds, i started out with hyperthryroid(Graves Diease) by this time i had already gain my wgt back after dropping from 160 to 130 when i first discovered i had a hyper thyroid.....She then started me on Synthroid, which in the begining i was feeling hyper, anxiety and cold, she told me to give the medicine a chance to get into my system, Now  after about 4 or 5 days, i feel find and my wgt has dropped, i've dropped about 7 lbs and Synthroid is supposed to make you gain, because now after taking it, you become Hypo....i don't know how long this is gonna last but so far, my doc says i am responding real well the treatment....only thing i worry about is possibly developing other medical issues down the line, i have changed my diet and I exercise regularly....hope this help
    • Posted

Hi, this is an old post but did you end up doing something? I am on the same situation as you now! Looking for answers! Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi lauri1638-

Most of these posts are very dated- I stumbled upon this site when researching some problems that I've been having since I had RAI-

It has been my comfort to be part of a Thyroid Cancer support group- and forms such as this.

Those around you try so hard to comfort and support you but often times a person can still feel alone in the battle because it is, after all their body being wrecked by cancer or treatments -

I am 48 now- I live a healthy lifestyle, exercise, eat organic and

Taking no medicines-

In July of 2016, I woke in the middle of the night in pain, my body was crazy, cold shakes that felt like my bones were going to break, then sweats, severe thirst and headaches, nausea - this went on for the entire weekend-

I am not one to run to a dr- because I know my body so well and stay on top of my health with regular check ups - I really assumed it was the onset of menapause-

My gynecologist saw me the following Monday - ran the usual blood tests to check to see if menopause was upon me- it turned out it was not as he explained the pre menopausal symptoms can be a menace for many years before menopause sets in, he prescribed me hormones to help ease me into my body's change-

During the exam he noticed my throats was swollen and said that it was not normal and sent me to my family dr- who sent me to an endocrinologist who sent me for and ultrasound and then off to a surgeon -

I was falsely assured that according to the ultrasound and blood work , my Thyroid levels were all normal and the ultra sound scans showed what looked like to be a benign growth-

Because the growth was very large and apparently causeing some issues they opted to remove it and not biopsy it then remove it-

Two weeks later I came out of surgery with having a total thyroidectomy -

The growths had spread to both sides and were multiple - biopsy proved the dr wrong and it was cancer-

My treatment at that point was RAI-

It began with a low iodine diet,( it was good for a weight loss of 10 lbs)

a series of thyrogen shots( so I

didn't have to stop taking my

thyroid meds, I felt as if I had a mild case of the flu after)

Full body scan and then my RAI dose-

I was restricted to solitary confinement for two weeks- had to eat off of separate dishes, use a separate bathroom and shower -

For the first 3 days I slept almost solid-

Then the swelling in my neck came, my spit glands swelled and pain-

I had to keep sour candy or gum in my mouth constantly to help my glands produce spit because RAI can damage them -

And then back for another full body scan-

My cancer is showed to be in remission- or as some say cured-

Thyroid cancer comes back in some form or fashion but the dr can't tell you when or where -

Could be a year, could be 30-

I have blood tests every six weeks to make sure the synthroid 150 mcg is at proper levels- along with a check up from family dr to address any symptoms I might be having difficulty with-

Once a year I will have to go on the low iodine diet, the thyrogen shots, a low dose of radiation and a full body scan- ill do this for the rest of my life-

I no longer have a thyroid and the synthroid takes place of the hormones my thyroid once produced - despite the blood work showing all is good- I always feel tired -

Now I said all that to say this-

Everybody's body responds to medicines and treatments in their own unique way -

Since my RAI treatment , I have recurring issues with my spit

glands swelling, heartburn and stomach discomfort, and I have allergic reactions to the sun, hives and itching -I slather the highest sunscreen on to prevent sunburn and wear long sleeves.

My eye sight has also been compromised-

Although my treatment has not been without side effects,

I try to always be positive and

know that the outcome could have been worse-

I will try to check back in case you have any questions -

Best wishes for you and yours-

• Posted

hi

I can only tell you my experience. Since having RAI i am increasingly putting on weight as they have not yet found a level of Thyroxine that suits me. However i am assured that once its sorted, my weight should be under control. After talking to my doctor about my issues with RAI, he explained some problems with having surgery , which included possible damage to the voice box which could result in never speaking again. Even though i havent had a good time with the RAI, I think it was probably the better option. Everyone is different. So you may not have the same side effects that i had. Hope this is of some help for you.

• Posted

Can any one tell me I have just had radio iodine today I have three lovely dogs do you no if I have to stay away from them please
  • Posted

The pets thing is confusing and the honest answer is no one knows. One doc said to me realistically your pets won't live log enough to be affected but the other said it's a moral issue, you wouldn't be around kids so don't your pets apply to the same rules? When I came home from having RAI, Oscar my big old boy cat was visibly distressed at not being able to get physically close to me as I decided I didn't want to risk it. In the end we sent Osc to my folks for the first 5 days, because it was too hard to be around him and ignore him and not let him near me. Our younger cat caley was less bothered as long as my partner was here to sit on so she stayed and I kept my distance. RAI is really hard, the lack of physical contact has a huge emotional impact on you that I didn't expect. My laptop, iphone, Netflix & my supportive partner and family got me through it but to be honest I couldn't and wouldn't do it again. I just found it really hard and was exhausted all the time but that may have been because I finally stopped. I got diagnosed as underactive last week, less than 3 months after RAI so can't tell you much more. As for pets you have to decide yourself what's best. I'd never have lasted 2 whole weeks with cuddling my fur babies but decided to make it for 5 days and limited petting etc after. All the best for the weeks ahead.
  • Posted

Hi Lynsey83

Many thanks for your replay I am just patting my dogs so they don't feel rejected I love them so much but they are wondering what is happening when you Carnot love and give them a big cuddle I have had words with my GP and he Sayers don't cuddle them round yor neck but just pat them so they feel happy and not rejected I now feel very sick and full in my tummy I do hope this will pass soon the GP has given me some medication for my sick feeling I do thank you for your kind advice about my dogs

• Posted

I had a similar problem with my cats, Oscar wanting to headbutt me and hold on round my neck...animals can tell when the people they love are stressed and want to help / cuddle / be close and it just makes it even harder. The best advice I can give you is basically don't pay too much attention to what doctors etc say about it's just a tablet, you can get on with life as normal blah blah blah. You've just been given radiation, you're off your thyroid meds and you already weren't feeling great so give yourself a break and just rest and relax as much as you can. In all honesty the dogs will probably be fine...it's all just precautionary really so if you really need a hug i'm sure one every so often won't be the end of the world. Hang in there and remember you're entitled to disappear under the covers for a week or more if you want / need to. People who haven't experienced RAI first hand can't comment because they just don't know how it feels. Take care and I hope the queasiness stops soon...that could be just as much being off your medication as anything. Take it easy x
  • Posted

Hi Lynsey 83

I am so pleased you have replayed back to my massage you made me feel so much better many thanks

• Posted

Hi BoPeep

How are you feeling now after your Treatment ?? I'm booked in to get mine done on the 14th of April and i love reading everyone's experiences.. I'm in Australia and its interesting the guidelines of how the different countries want you to follow after treatment

I'd love to hear how everyone is going after treatment smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.