Radioiodine treatment - Real life view wanted!

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid nearly 3 years ago and was treated with PTU for a while (I reacted badly to Carbimazole). I stabilsed and they took me off the medication just over a year ago. I remained stable for about 6 months or so, but at my last check up they said my blood test was showing overactivity again. They wanted to wait a few months before doing anything incase it was an anomoly, but if not they are talking about giving me radioiodine.

My next check up is next week and I'd be interested to hear some real life experiences of the effect of radioiodine incase that's the route they advise. Were there any side-effects? Did it make people feel ill? Did you have to stay off work? And I guess most importantly did it solve your thyroid problems?

Any advice much appreciated!

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was 23 and had no side effects on a high I131 dosage to entirely eliminate the malfunctioning gland!
  • Posted

Hi clarks15

I have not been to well I have been feeling very sick but not been sick seen my gp and gave me some med for my sickness but all in all I have had no more side effected I think you will be fine on your ridi do wish you well keep me posted all the very best to you

• Posted

BoPeep

I'm sorry to hear you have been Sick i hope your immune system picks up soon hun

I will keep you posted for sure smile thank you

• Posted

Hi Clarks 30

Thank you for your massage I am seeing a dr about my eyes because of graves they have fetched my appointment a month early so I go on Tuesday I hope they don't fined any thing let you no how I get on hope you are ok and to ill with the thyroid you will pleased to get your appointment on the 14april I wish you well bopeep

• Posted

Well Rachel, I started off being hyperthyroid, and was given anti thyroid meds

such as beta blockers and methomize, (I probably spelled it wrong), because of my rapid heartbeat and i lost a lot of wgt. well those drugs helped me, it stabled my conditions, at least i thought and i started gaining my wgt back and i felt great, in fact, i wanted to stay on the meds, but those meds damages the liver so you can't stay on them for a very long time, plus i was still quite hyper according to my blood tests....ok that's when my doctor decided to give me RAI

I had read about RAI, but did'nt quite understood what purpose it served untill after i took it...well RAI kills the thyroid! So once it is dead, it don't produce the right amount of hormone your body needs to make your thyroid function right..for me when i took it, it doesn't hurt, you fon't feel nothing, i did not have any side effects or nothing. Only thing is that i had to stay away from my family for like 3 or 4 days so they won't be exposed to the radiation. i was only given a very small dose, and now i am on Snythroid. My body is responding great to process of treatment so far....knock on wood, to answer your question, I would just maybe get a second opinion before i do RAI, Rai would be my last resort

only because I often wonder that by taking RAI, would that increase my chances for getting some form of cancer or Lekemia or other organs getting damaged down the line, that's just me, started reading a lot, just do a little research, and decide for yourself, because this is my experience, it's scary trust me i know, i am scare myself, but i had a little talk with God and i asked him to walk with me, and I let him know I want to Live.....So Good Luck Rachelsmile

• Posted

Hello Rachel82,

I have Hyperthyroidism, Graves Disease, and was told my RAI was to be in 8 day's time, in other words I was being bulldozed into something I felt was not for me. After speaking with many people who have had RAI I decided it was not an option for myself to take, first off I was feeling bullied by endo's and lied to about the pro's and the con's with RAI treatment, 3 Endoctrine Doctors told me I would be Hypothyroid after taking RAI, also that I would be gaining alot of weight, when I questioned about depression etc, I was told this does happen to alot of people, I spoke with another Endoctrine Doctor and he said no you will not put on weight, and we can control the dosage. My last visit was with a professor of endoctrine he claimed the same thing no weight gain, that the RAI would just kill the bad part of the thyroid, when I asked can you write that this is correct and it will not affect any other organs in my body, as most people know that iodine can be traced in other organs, he said no I will not write that...That answered my questions for me, personally I would never agree to RAI ever as I have been lied to, bullied and every person I spoke with that had this procedure all regret it, they all have weight problems, depression, panic attacks, tired all the time, and some have developed chronic fatigue. I would investigate it alot further, and not just believe the first doctor you speak with, it will not solve your thyroid problems it will just remove the hyper and turn it into hypo, then you will be on medication for the rest of your life. Also you will have no way of losing weight once you start gaining, you will be tired alot, and if your lucky you will not develop the depression and panic attacks.. I have spoken with 12 people face to face meetings that had this treatment and all of them were so unhappy they wished they could turn the clock back and reverse the RAI, I looked at before and after pictures and could not believe the changes in these ladies, so much weight gain, diets, exercise, nothing worked, well I guess it would not work when the metabilism is no longer there to burn the fat.

I wish you the best of luck in what ever you decided to do, sorry if my reply is long winded, but I feel that RAI radio active waste to be correct, is a scary thing with to many risks.

Kind Regards,

Gwendalyn

• Posted

Gwendalyn,

I had a similiar experience, after being hospitalized for thyroid storm, diagnosed w/ graves, and working to control Hyperthyroidism. Every doctor acted like it was a RUSH to do RAI immediately, and that it was inevitable. I felt like I had no choice. I scheduled it, and canceled last minute, and am very grateful I did. I did not feel comfortable being exposed to radio active material, not to mention the long term side effects of being HYPO thryoid. Anyways, I'd be interested to hear what methods you did use to control your hyperthyroidism and graves disease. I am currently on 2.5 mg of Methimazole, and have been on it (higher dose before) since Novemeber of 2015. I have been able to decrease. But I wonder if essentially long term use of methimazole essentially can cause inactive thryoid/ hypo as well? I am working towards living a more natural life style and exploring some less mainstream options. Meanwhile I am also ready to start a family, which offers another challenge to maintaining even keeled thyroid function.

Thanks!

Heather

• Posted

Your post is responsible, not at all informative or factual. Chances are your friend is suffering from his medication not being dosed properly. For someone like me who has Thyroid cancer RAI is a no brainier,  why die from a curable cancer!!! No one wants to go threw this but it's the card that was dealt and the bump in the road. IT'S NOT the worst thing that can happen in your life and if your treating it like it is go talk to a parent that has lost a child! I have my RAI treatment monday whatever side effects happen, its a better choice than dying from a curable cancer, it is what it is, just like the side effects of thyroid medication or any other medication that is meant to save your life, high blood pressure medication have all kinds of side effects too but it would be better than dying of a heart attack right! (although, I've insisted on taking naturethyoid and not having any of the side effects people seem to have on sythyroid, but everyone is different)

Everyone has a responsibility for their own health, if what your doctor is telling you is not helping go find another doctor. If the side effects is something that you have to deal with, than deal with it figure out yourself on how to live your life with the cards that you were dealt. If you can't do that than go get help talk to someone who will teach you how to over come. You only get one shot at life, you don't get a do over, you choose how to live it, not medication! 

• Posted

Hi Rachel82. how did you get on. I'm curious because i am in the same position. i was diagnosed 2 years ago with Graves Disease, was on carbimazole and thyroxine for over a year, have now been off all medication for 6 months but my last blood test5 was showing overactivity. i have been advised to have radio active iodine treatment to. what did you do?
    • Posted

Hi Fran,  I was diagnosed with Graves in about 2009, was on Block & replace for 18 months and was then clear for about 2 years.  Then it came back triggered I believe by aspartame in another medication.  I was advised to have RAI which I refused and opted for another session of Block & replace, which hadn't been tried before.  My consultant had never tried giving a patient two such sessions.  Anyway, I took it for another 18 months and am off since about 2015.  My thyroid levels are perfectly normal now, touch wood.  But I do take the greatest of care not to take anything with aspartame!  All the best Fran,  Stefania

• Posted

Have you been to see a Naturopathic Doctor, RAI will not fix your thyroid problems, it will remove the hyperthyroidism, but it will replace it with hypothyroidism and you will be on medication for the rest of your life,,

Hypothyroidism is not a better option as the Doctors will try and use that as there sales pitch, it is easier to treat Hypothyroidism than Hyperthyroidism,( Rubbish), that's what l say.. Ask a person who is now hypothyroid after taking RAI, ask the people that have not been able to work as they are so tired all the time, Depression and Anxiety, weight gain out of control, thyroid eye disease, hair loss, dizziness, migrains, mood swings, feeling cold.

One of my closest friends had RAI, it is his biggest regret, from a healthy happy hard working man, he is now a depressed ball of anxiety all the time, he is tired all the time sleeping 18 hours a day. 

This is heart breaking for his family and people who know him and knew him before taking RAI, he was a fit healthy person, he ate all the healthy foods, exercised everyday, and now he is cranky, tired, depressed with big anxiety attacks, his marriage ended because his mood swings were so bad. This person  is one of many who regret ever taking RAI, he would not take it if he knew what his life would turn out to be like now.

He has just had skin grafts done on his chest because it started itching all the time, he had surgery the next day to remove cancer.

Female friends are all over weight, one is wearing a wig due to her hair loss, depression anxiety, tired all the time, mood swings are really noticable... Answer would they reverse this if they could go back in time yes, they all regret having RAI, and are still having medication dosage problems.

And have not returned to work. 

I will not ever swollow a radio active waste tablet ever, NO, My advise to any person thinking of taking RAI go see a Naturopathic Doctor first.

Kind Regards,

Gwendalyn

• Posted

Hie Gwendalyn thank you very much for your post its beyond eye opening. im in my late 20s and faced with an option for possible RAI. I have just been on carbimazole for 8months now and even after the initial 12month initial treatment phase i feel its too early for me to consider RAI. will definitely read more on it.
  • Posted

Hello Rachel82,  I've had Graves disease twice and was 'lucky' in that the block and replace treatment with carbimazole worked well with me.  The second time Graves returned I'm quite sure it was thanks to the aspartame contained in another medication that I's started shortly before Graves flared up.  I too was told to have RAI but I refused and told the Endo man that I'd rather have surgery (although that also has risks) than swallow something radioactive, which goes against all my instincts.  I do know someone who has had RAI and apparently she is doing fine, but there are many others who don't.  Here in Ireland they also just give a standard dose, which I think is wrong for starters. 

I guess it is really a personal choice and doing a lot of weighing up everything, reading as much as you can about it. 

Whatever you decide, I hope all will go well for you - and stay off anything containg aspartame!

All the best,  Stefania

• Posted

Hi all, I was first diagnosed with hyperthyroid when was 15 years old. Was so hyperactive and I was having the symptoms of a toxic thyroid that they put me on very high dosis of carbimazole and removed part of my thyroid thinking whatever would be left would produce the normal amount of hormones. It happened that the small amount left always produced too much and I am on Carbimazole now for 25 year (dosis varying according to blood test results). I am really down for the last 2 years having all sort of issues from loosing weight like hell, being over-tired, constant infections, very low immune system, pains all over my body. Thyroid levels are normal with Carbimazole (never stopped for 25 years, stopping for a few weeks is enough to get hyper) and they are saying that my symptoms are not thyroid related. Been doing a lot of health checks and everything seems normal. The doctor told me that I can either stay on Carbimazole until I get some reaction or do RAI (which according to him is the best as its easier to treat under active than an over active thyroid). I am so confused that dont know what to do. Anyone has had Carbimazole for so long?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.