Rage/Anger

Posted , 62 users are following.

Have now been on Mirtazapine for 7 weeks and am seeing GP tomorrow as I am not prepared to stay on this drug any longer.

Started on 15 mg and up to 30 mg week after. Past 2 weeks have been on 45 mg. I was told at higher doses it would be less sedating but this hasn't happened. The worst side effect is my overwhelming feelings of anger and rage. I've never been an aggressive person but this drug makes me lose my rag at the slightest irritation.

As for helping my depression it has done absolutely nothing. Very disappointing as a recent study in the Lancet suggested that Mirt along with Lustral and Escitalopram were all highly effective. I guess it's a case of different meds suit different people. I'm going to try and get switched to escitalopram (Cipralex) although due to its cost I'll probably get the runaround.

What annoys me is when the GP says 'You need to give it (the drug) time.' From everything I've read, the current thinking seems to be that if an antidepressant has NO effect whatsoever by 4 weeks then it will not have an effect in the future regardless of increasing the dose.

I've got a medical background so have been researching like crazy on this :roll: I think one of the key problems is that GPs see the bulk of depression and the bottom line is that they are not experts in mental health. My GP for example wasn't aware that Seroxat came in lower doses than 30 mg?! That is worrying...

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been on Mirtazapine for a weeks now but have also been on it previously. I don't remember feeling near as bad as I do now. I have fibromyalgia so frustration is usually hanging around biting my backside when my legs or hands won't work how they should, yea I'd get frustrated say a few curse word's  (Santa's been) and just get on with it but this is nothing compared to a little frustration I actually feel like my blood is boiling inside me like lava. I'm flying off the handle at the silliest things. I called my GP Practice which in the end they classed it as an emergency so I received a callback from the nurse and *drumroll* "it'll take time" so I just played dumb and thanked her an hung up. The leftover mirtmirtazapine will be used for ammo because surely I can't feel any worse than I do on them!
  • Posted

IM so glad im not alone in this.

ive never been stable, being autistic and having PTSD as well.

this drug has caused me to act really badly on social media. and i p*ssed off the wrong person, making threats i didnt mean cos i couldnt sleep after taking it on a lower dosaage

no one understands the issues, nor to they want to. its just seen as 'making excuses' or the worst one.. 'playing the victim'

its OK for people to say that when they have support. and love. when all that ends, due to bereavement and a sense of loss, what is there left?

i am still angry, but at myself too. 

perhaps i should just leave this world. there is nothing for me. 

• Posted

So glad I found this! I started Mirtazapine as a recommendation by my GP. I have BPD so I'm used to flying off the handle every now and again but this medication just made me ten times worse. Im stopping it. Flying off daily at the most silly things is not who I am even with BPD. I learned to control my anger. Missed work for the last 3 days and done nothing on the weekend except attack and criticise everyone. This drug should be banned.
  • Posted

Ive taken it twice now and had the rage effect,taking no more as i am going to end up hurting somebody,like yourself dr told me to give it time.

First time i took 15mg and second it was 7.5mg but the rage was the same.

• Posted

I have had a terrible experience with this drug and rage, as I've mentioned here before. However, I have just read a book by an eminent American psychiatrist who states that a man committed murder after being prescribed it. 
    • Posted

Can you tell me the name of the book, my friend just was murdered by her husband and he started this medicine 5 days ago for Insomnia, I am so broken, when I look for side effects only shows the common ones, until now that I found this web site, but it's too late and my friend is Gone with the Lord 

• Posted

I too have been taking this med for about 3 months and found that i have a hair trigger and become violent and aggressive at the slightest irratation.
  • Posted

I have been on So many meds over the years since 2010 and all have affected me in some negative way. I have been on Mirtazapine for 2 years ranging from 15mg to 60mg even. My physiatrist keeps changing the dose and forget he was the one that changed it. I seen him again on Wednesday and told him how I was feeling intrusive thoughts and anger easily and constant anxiety. He upped my dose to 45mg again from 30. I told him this was not a good option and I didnt agree with it. I had my father with me at the time as this man is known for saying ridiculous things. Like telling me to go and have a drink when I have self medicated with alcohol in the past. Anyway I told him this was going to do nothing and wasnt helping me . He just wrote the rx and said I'll see you in 6 weeks. Im at my wits end the last year has been hell and i feel like im lising my mind. I've never been aggressive or had thoughts of being aggressive but this terrified me. Im now housebound because of fear and have to wait another 8 werks to see this idiot again.

• Posted

I am so relieved to find this thread. 4 weeks ago my partner started mirtazapine 15mg after a 8 week taper from sertraline. He has been struggling with severe-cant-leave-the-house OCD, depression and anxiety for some time. He had a few issues with withdrawing from sertraline - emotional and mood swings - but from the moment he started mirtazapine, things have gone from bad to worse. He has been filled with rage at tiny things, to the point that he has been so noisy, police were called to our home for a disturbance. At first he would seem to swing in and out of these moods, but now it's nearly constant. He can sleep fine when he takes the medication but his waking hours he is just so unpleasant to be around. He has pushed me and his dad away and seems to be spoiling for a fight all the time. It is like living with a completely different person. I have felt that he needs to be in hospital, it had got so bad, but he really doesn't want to go. Tomorrow we see his psychiatrist, but I really want him off of this drug as there has been no improvement with 4 weeks of treatment, and he is increasingly talking about suicide as his anger is so intense. 

• Posted

Very negative.Took 30mg nightly for 3 weeks stopped taking  7days ago,since then I am taking double my normal amount of xanax and staying home afraid to make another scene in front of neighbors( road rage for someone that failed to use thier turn signal , calling the cops on a group of construction workers) Fell Asleep ok first few nights but when i would wake up a few hours later, it was impossible to fall back asleep, Still having VIVID nightmares. shortness of breath, mental fog, hatred of everything I don't understand why they would give this to someone with PTSD and depression it seems to agitate and infuriate me, my thinking is blurred I can't concentrate Dont mix with alcohol it enhances the bad parts makes you louder and meaner and I'm sure alot of people ended up dead or detained after taking this.

• Posted

(I know this post is old, but I thought I'd give my input because I've been on Mirtazapine for some time) I've been on Remeron for a year now and I entirely agree that it causes aggression. I've never been a angry person but when I was put on Remeron I was very upset at everyone, but my doctor, myself, and parents thought it was just because other stressors. I've also experienced increased appetite and increased null feeling. 

Gladly I've started the path of getting off of the med.   

• Posted

My first time on any anti depressants and I was given 15mg which I did for 1 week then cut them down to 7.5mg as I felt so, so irritable, even angry, now anything sets me off, I have no tolerance to anyone or anything, other than that I feel fairly emotionless, even Christmas coming up isn't cheering me at all. Have made the decision to stop them tonight, hopefully we'll all be able to enjoy Christmas.

• Posted

I am writing this with tears in my eyes, I am too broken, My friend's husband started taking Mirtazapine 8 days ago, for imsonia. That was on a monday, Friday my friend and her daughter was murder by her husband.  they were a good family, he was not like that, I am totally a wreck of emotions. Please don't take this Horrible Medicine, I can't deal with this pain

• Posted

I was like this too! Very angry and a lot of rage. I had to come off it after 3 months I’m now on sertraline and have been for 2 years and over the last 4 months that rage and anger has come back/:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.