Rage/Anger

Posted , 62 users are following.

Have now been on Mirtazapine for 7 weeks and am seeing GP tomorrow as I am not prepared to stay on this drug any longer.

Started on 15 mg and up to 30 mg week after. Past 2 weeks have been on 45 mg. I was told at higher doses it would be less sedating but this hasn't happened. The worst side effect is my overwhelming feelings of anger and rage. I've never been an aggressive person but this drug makes me lose my rag at the slightest irritation.

As for helping my depression it has done absolutely nothing. Very disappointing as a recent study in the Lancet suggested that Mirt along with Lustral and Escitalopram were all highly effective. I guess it's a case of different meds suit different people. I'm going to try and get switched to escitalopram (Cipralex) although due to its cost I'll probably get the runaround.

What annoys me is when the GP says 'You need to give it (the drug) time.' From everything I've read, the current thinking seems to be that if an antidepressant has NO effect whatsoever by 4 weeks then it will not have an effect in the future regardless of increasing the dose.

I've got a medical background so have been researching like crazy on this :roll: I think one of the key problems is that GPs see the bulk of depression and the bottom line is that they are not experts in mental health. My GP for example wasn't aware that Seroxat came in lower doses than 30 mg?! That is worrying...

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Mirtazapine since December 2013 and have had a lot of rage and anger issues. I have started swearing a lot over the slightest things. I'm really irritable. I don't know if its the meds or not but after reading this I can only presume it could be. I will be disappointed if the meds are the cause because I sleep really well now days since I've been taking them.
  • Posted

I just had to write a response to these posts. I was prescribed Mitazipine the other day and omg it was the worst thing I have ever had in my life! Most of these posts reflected how I felt to the uncontrollable rage and anger to feeling hungry all the time. I am now off these god awful tablets and feel amazing. I would urge anyone whos having these side effects to go and get checked by your doc see if you can have an alternative. Good luck everyone and all the best.
  • Posted

Interestingly they don't like to give Mirtazapine to under 18's because the side effects can be "hostility (predominantly aggression) , oppositional behaviour and anger".
  • Posted

In Australia mirt comes with a warning that it can cause serotonin syndrome in susceptible individuals, and one of the symptoms of that is feeling enraged by things that normally wouldn't provoke you that much. It was one of the symptoms that tipped me off to the fact that I has SS last year - this was before I was on mirt. Serotonin syndrome is potentially lethal so please see your doctor as soon as possible if this side effect comes up! If your GP doesn't seem to know about this, I would strongly reccommend you get onto either a psychiartrist or a GP with extra training in mental health if at all possible.

Like any psychiatric medicine, mirtazapine works fantastically for some people and for others makes things worse. If you've been prescribed mirt, or any antipdepressant, by a doctor who isn't reccommending fairly close monitoring (like, weekly appointments for a while or at least regular email contact) to see how you are being affected by it, then for the love of everything holy please find another doctor. It was certainly the best thing I ever did, I only wish I'd done it sooner.

• Posted

I've been on Mirtazapine for, I don't know, five weeks? I've genuinely forgotten, time makes no sense to me any more. I started on Citalopram 10mg, then 20mg, then Mirtazapine 15mg, then 15mg plus Propranolol 40mg, then Mirtazapine 30mg plus Propranolol 80mg. I'm fed up. Not only have I gained over a stone on Mirtazapine and had to take time off work sick, making me feel very insecure in my job, I've had a seriously short fuse and have been so angry towards everything and everyone. I honestly have nothing to contribute, I'm just grateful to have found people having the same issues. Solidarity, yay. I think I'll be going back to the doctors on Monday to request an alternative. I booked a flight to Australia recently, I'm hoping a change of scenery and the independence of travelling solo will help my depression. But I'm going to kill myself before I get out there if these moods and this weight gain keep up. *sigh*
  • Posted

Does anyone know of this anger and rage gets better? I have been on Prozac around two years ago, I had an awful time on it and stopped taking my tablets. I became extremely depressed again around July of last year. I started off on Citalopram which helped with the depression a lot, but was causing me to oversleep and overeat, which is no good as I am a student, work and have also spent a year losing 3 stone. I then got put on sertraline which made me feel even more depressed than I felt before medication and again the oversleeping continued.

I have now been put on 15mg of Mirtazapine. I have been taking Mirtazapine for about 4 days and I am like a woman possessed! My boyfriend moved my clothes out of his wardrobe as he was cleaning and I got so angry, that I tipped the bin bag with rubbish in all over the floor! I don't know why but I was so angry, I felt like I was going to explode! I feel less depressed and I am having much better quality sleep but I can't deal with the anger. So I really want to know if this gets better! I am scared of asking the doctor to change my medication because I can tell he thinks I expect too much from medication and that I don't give them long enough to work. But I have always had problems with depression much more than what's considered normal, I just don't go into detail with my doctor because I feel it's personal, which is why the doctor doesn't take me seriously.

• Posted

I started taking mirtazapine over 3 months now to treat severe depression. Before taking this drug,i would cry all the time,be very angry at the smallest thing andhave thoughts of suicide regularly. At first I thought the drug was great as it helped me sleep(literally knocked out within an hour of taking it) I I am not crying like I used to I rarely have thoughts of suicide. However just recently I have had very bad mood swings, or changes in my moods that I can't explain,like there's no real reason for any of it!? I can be fine then something will happen and I get really low and pissed off. I feel it is affecting my relationship, I feel bad for my bf as he must think WTF!? It has affected my jobs in the past which resulted in me being fired from two jobs 5 months ago. I don't know what to do? I'm scarred I will lose my current jobas my moods are starting to seep through there too! I really do think I have Bi polar, iv discussed this with my GP but she says I don't? Isit really the drugs that after a good start,are starting to have adverse effects? What do.I do next?? 
  • Posted

I am struggling too.  Had many years of chopping and changing meds. Put on mertazapine 15mg after sertraline 100mgs stopped working.  Been on mert for 5 weeks now and although they help me get off to sleep, now when I wake up I feel unrested, tired all day and I am unbearable to live with.  I snap at the slightest thing and just want to be left alone.  I don't know if meds aren't working, or are causing this irritability.  I thought doc would up them to 30mgs after 2 weeks but kept me at same dose and told me to return if need be.  I am making my family's life a misery and am trying to keep a lid on things to no avail.  I feel like if someone said the 'wrong' thing I could rip their heads off literally and go from angry to tearful regularly although I can't let it out.  It's just stuck inside me. I have no motivation so I don't know if it's my depression, a reaction to meds or I've not been put on a high enough dose.  Either way, I do not feel better and it's getting worse.  Going to get an appointment with GP asap sad
  • Posted

My ex-husband was a heavy drinker and took pain killers for severe joint injury.  One time when we were away, although having a happy time with relatives he drank more than usual (not uncommon) plus had too many pain tablets (only panadeine).   That night in our room I merely said "Oh no you're drunk..."   Immediately he jumped up from lying on top of the bed and threw me back proceeding to rage and keep punching me!!  I thought I was going to die... nearly left him that night and should have really.  He had been prescribed *Mirtazapine* two weeks before!!!! 
  • Posted

i can relate to all this..i turned that anger onto my self! getting off the stuff..hope u are all doing well..as this thread was put on over a year ago! best wishes
    • Posted

I've decided to half my dose whilst waiting for appt. Feel more with it already although I know I shouldn't do this until I've seen doc. Don't feel as cranky atall but possibly due to not feeling as groggy. Sleep not good again though. They did help me to sleep better when on 15 mg.
    • Posted

hang in there! any one would who feels groogy would be snappy ! normal...hang in there !
    • Posted

It's not tired snappy I feel, it just seems to have altered my mood. I forget I've done things too and have been doing things twice such as cleaning my teeth and washing!
  • Posted

I was just wondering what are you on now and is it working?
  • Posted

My anger and irritability has been bad to say the least.

This women at Aldi parked in a drop off parking bay and went in store with her trolley to do her shopping, I felt like going outside and smashing her $$$ car in.

I dropped a can of coke in the kitchen and it sprayed all over the place and I just exploded just standing there screaming with anger and taking the can outside smashing it into bits.

Telling the cats and dogs to bleep off when they want something, not shouting. I'm sure they realise something isn't right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.