Rage/Anger

Posted , 62 users are following.

Have now been on Mirtazapine for 7 weeks and am seeing GP tomorrow as I am not prepared to stay on this drug any longer.

Started on 15 mg and up to 30 mg week after. Past 2 weeks have been on 45 mg. I was told at higher doses it would be less sedating but this hasn't happened. The worst side effect is my overwhelming feelings of anger and rage. I've never been an aggressive person but this drug makes me lose my rag at the slightest irritation.

As for helping my depression it has done absolutely nothing. Very disappointing as a recent study in the Lancet suggested that Mirt along with Lustral and Escitalopram were all highly effective. I guess it's a case of different meds suit different people. I'm going to try and get switched to escitalopram (Cipralex) although due to its cost I'll probably get the runaround.

What annoys me is when the GP says 'You need to give it (the drug) time.' From everything I've read, the current thinking seems to be that if an antidepressant has NO effect whatsoever by 4 weeks then it will not have an effect in the future regardless of increasing the dose.

I've got a medical background so have been researching like crazy on this :roll: I think one of the key problems is that GPs see the bulk of depressionand the bottom line is that they are not experts in mental health. My GP for example wasn't aware that Seroxat came in lower doses than 30 mg?! That is worrying...

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry just read your comments, I was replying to the Site Admin re reporting this drug. There definitely is some confusion here between the Medical Profession as my Doctor & Chemist checked & said that Rage & Anger was NOT a side effect listed for this drug. I note that someone somewhere is started to take notice of this tread as it has increased from 7 to 11 overnight. This can only be a good thing, the sooner we get this drug banned the better for all concerned.
  • Posted

I am on day 19 of Mirtazapine at 15mg each day. I am taking this drug because I have been suffering from lack of sleep for months. I also have depression and anxiety which I take Venlafaxine at 150mg each day for.

Mirtazapine has improved my sleep, which at first was such a relief even though during the first week it gave me really bad realistic nightmares. However, from about day 15 I have been feeling more and more aggressive with each day that passes.

I drove my car to the shop today and all the way there and back I just felt like I was about to have road rage even though there was nothing to be angry about. I have felt so angry over the slightest things, with thoughts of seriously harming anyone who annoys me. I also have feelings of waiting for something to happen just so I can explode and take my anger out. The drug has made me feel more depressed if anything, and caused me to ruminate again over bad memories which Venlafaxine does so well to stop.

These feelings and emotions are horrible and not like my normal caring self at all. Such a dissapointment and shame because it does help me sleep but these side effects are to bad to continue taking Mirtazapine. I am seeing my psychiatrist this week and coming off the drug as soon as possible.

I agree that it should be banned.

• Posted

I too am having to have a drink with this terrible drug because it helps the teriible anxiety i am now weening my self of them and have been doing over a few weeks and i have found im much improved and i dont need a drink anymore.Its the pills that have caused my problem they should be banned
  • Posted

I have just come in from the garden so fed up and angry with life and I found this forum! I have been taking citalapram for 2 or 3 years but earlier this year I had another bout of depression so went back to docs he pescribed mirtazapine 15mg but this didn't help infact I seemed to be going worse.I increased the dose myself to 30mg and went back to the docs to explain I still was not functionaling well.He then prescribed 45mg I have been on this dose for about a month, but I feel so bloody angry and it takes only the least thing to make me feel like this. Similar to previous contributers I am not usually angry to this extent and am usually much more laid back. A lot of the sites sing the praises of mirtazapine and up to seeing this page I was confused as to why I was experiencing so much anger. I will now go back to the docs and ask him if this drug has these side effects.Thanx to all who put this post up.
  • Posted

I've been on Mitrazapine for just a week now and immediately after taking it I'm asleep within the hour, that usually wears off within a month for me. But the blind rage I've been feeling for the last week is terrifying. There are things that will annoy and frustrate me in day to day life but I just grit my teeth. This last week however I've been screaming and shouting - and I never shout, not even once a year - but these rages are making me violent. It sounds funny to say it, but I'm worried that I'm going to kick the cat or something. I'm angry and I want to stab someone or something. It's really scaring me.

My first port of call was Wikipedia which said nothing about rage or anger in the side-effects so I'm glad I found this topic. With nothing having been posted for years I thought I'd give it a bump for anyone else having anger issues after having taken this drug.

• Posted

I'm interested to see if rage is an initial side-effect that goes away for me, or if it will become worse over time. I have only taken the drug for two days, to battle anxiety/PTSD/depression. Yesterday, I spent the whole day reminiscing about the coup de tat in Cambodia that I got caught up in, back in 1997. I had no energy whatsoever, and three times I've snapped randomly in rage over really small things. But it's not the small things, it's the sense of complete upheaval, like I'm coming to grips with all the pain in my life at once. I do have a temper, but it's usually controlled. Now, I feel like destroying everything. Don't know if it's the drug or just the fact that I'm coming to a point in my life where I don't want to take $%# from anyone anymore.
  • Posted

OMG im so glad i found this site, i started taking mirtazapine 5 days ago after swapping from citalapram, i was swapped because i started suffering from bruising and dr thought might be the citalapram, anyway back to mirtazapine in the 5 days i have been taking it i have been experiencing really bad anger (im not an angry person) it has taken all my willpower not to smash things or throw things, i have felt like i am going insane, today i snapped and it frightens me because im afraid of what is going to happen next! will these feelings subside once i get used to the tablets? do i go back to my GP? p.s i suffer from depression.
  • Posted

this drug is THE WORST!!! I am bipolar yet was prescribed this. I have been refusing to take antidepressants for the last 20 years and managing with diet, exersize and herbal remedies. However a month ago, I was seriously afraid I might harm myself. Doc prescribed sertraline initially with no effect. So a different doc put me on this poison. 7 days in and I am ready to kill the first person who looks oddly at me. Such terrible rage! He said this was a good drug to take to help my insomnia. What a load of crock. Last night I was doing chores until 5am, completely wide awake was I. I'm not a bit tired even after only 3 hours sleep and know tonight I shall be wide awake again. Add to that the strange dreamlike state I am in and lapses in time. Like going to the microwave to heat coffee. Remembering pouring the cold coffee from the jug to the mug, and not remembering anything else until the microwave pinged. I'm shaking like a leaf, stumbling about like I'm drunk, cannot string a sentence together and it's like living in some kind of altered reality. Well frankly, I'd rather be suicidal than feel like this. So I have stopped it. I didn't take tonight's dose and am already feeling more lucid and indeed I'm actually feeling happy now that the dreadful foggy mindedness has cleared a little. Perhaps that supposed to be how it works? It makes you feel so bloody awful, that when you stop taking it, you are euphoric. I'm going back to diet, my treadmill and fresh air. No more brain poison for me.

I noted on the list of side effects it said that if you feel dizzy or zombified (not that exact word) then not to drive. Fat lot of good that bit of advice is if you live alone, 8 miles from the nearest shop.

• Posted

Julie 35656...just reading your comments, and all the others, has made me weep with relief literally!! I have been going out of my mind with this god awful overwhelming murderous rage!!!!! I am actually sitting here thinking about ending it all, I feel so horrible. It is affecting my relationship with my husband and my kids, not to mention work colleagues, although I manage to rein it in there, god only knows how I manage it! I seriously can't carry on like this. I have suffered from depression since I had my first child 17years ago and was on sertraline, then citalopram and now mirtazapine. I was told to expect the sleepiness and completely zonked out feeling but this passed after two weeks. I am not just left with this rage and feel even worse because of it. I don't know what to do...... sad
  • Posted

My Doctor denies that Mirtazapine can cause this type of rage. I've been on citalopram for around 4yrs which made me feel good, but over the past 2yrs I've started to get snappy and angry over the slightest thing, the dose was increased over this time from 10mg to 40mg to try and over come the anger. While on 40mg the frequency of me blowing my top and feeling angry increased and I even ended up getting a warning from work, as my fellow workers started to feel uncomfortable with my mood swings. Around 4 weeks ago I went back to the doctors and explained the situation who signed me off work for 2weeks and put me on mirtazapine going from 15mgs to 30mgs over the first week. At the end of the second week I returned to the doctors to tell her I was feeling really depressed, she told me I needed to get back to work to occupy my mind, so started me back the following Wednesday. on my first 3days back at work my emotions were all over the place and I was frequently feeling that I could easily kill some one, then on the 2nd Wednesday back at work I exploded it was like a bomb had gone off in my head and the worst thing is that I can't remember much about the incident apart from feeling really down afterwards. I have now been suspended from work, so today I returned to my doctors armed with a copy of this forum, which she wouldn't even look at and told me mirtazapine would not cause you to be angry and that the anger was my bodies natural way of copping with stress. I would be grateful if people can tell me what their doctors have said about Mirtazapine as I use to be so laid back.
  • Posted

I have been depressed for the last 6-7 years but have not persevered with any medication, recently a relationship problem prompted me to visit my gp, she put me on 20mg citalopram, i only took them for eight days due to the lack of sleep, (3-4 hours) a night, i had a week without tablets, and have now been on 15mg mirtazapine for six days, i sleep very well, too well! good job i'm retired, as yet i have no other symptoms, should i expect to get angry, does everyone on these experience anger issues?
  • Posted

I to have had anger and rage issues on this drug blowing up at the slightest thing .ive been on 30 mg a few months now at first drowsed me to sleep after years of hardly any sleep .but now they do nothing to make me tired but the problem im having is not being able to go to sleep until early hours of the morning and I cant wake up in the mornings .but once im asleep im sleeping better than ever to well to the point I cant get up in the mornings is anyone else having this problem would appreciate hearing off anyone that is.
  • Posted

This thread is very interesting to me. I have suffered for years with depression and have been told that i will always have it as it runs in my family. But i have been in a newish relationship for 3 years and last year my partner was diagnosed with depression after having a mental breakdown. He was initially put on Citalopram which didnt completely get rid of his depression, so the GP decided that he would change his meds as he complained of not being able to sleep. He changed it to Mirtazapine gradually increasing dose from 15mg to 45mg max. Yes it helped him sleep he has now spent the xmas period sleeping like a dormouse. But he has had me worried because he seemed so different in his character. He became disinterested in me ( which is unlike him), sexually and aevery other way. So i thought he'd lost interest in me. He lazed about and seemed very flat. Finally after us having several disagreements(which was unusual), he said he was feeling so weak and tired, and uninterested in everything. in fact he was feeling very depressed again, and he had been very weepy too. He hasnt been aggressive physically but he has got a bit mouthy, argumentive, when he is so mild usually. so yes he has changed and he knows it. i have been on Seroxat for years and although they make me feel dozey and sluggish, they really do help my depression and social phobia symptoms. When before he was put on Mirt, he asked if he could try the meds im on the GP said they didnt prescribe them much these days because they are quite addictive.! Thats news to me?? i thought these type of drugs were not known to have addictive affects?? But my point is that surely the seroxat cant be any worse than the Mirtazepine? not nice drugs at all! we are going to visit the Doc again...soon. See if i can get my partner back.
  • Posted

Seeing GP tomorrow after 4 weeks on Mirtazapine, previously on Venaflaxine. Sleep and appetite have certainly improved no doubt. However, can relate to the above comments about mood swings and aggression. Can be watching TV and becoming emotional about nothing at all then next minute being irritable and argumentative with family. The dose is 15mg and would as it stands at the moment being very worried about an increase to 30mg or 45mg. Hoping GP has a few answers for me as to whether it needs more time to take effect? Have taken a variety of anti-depression in the past with some degree of success. Mirtazapine has excellent reviews in the medical journals so was hopeful of a positive outcome. Time will obviously tell
  • Posted

Hi Woodskins,

Like you am on venlafaxine which has worked for years on low dose, however had a big wobble just before C/mas and dr upped my dose to 75mg and have spent the entire time feeling sick with no appitite he mentioned mirtazapine but having read this am scare to death of going on this drug as i can be volitile at best of times. seeing physchiatrist this pm. Any advice anyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.