Ramipril joint pain side effect

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been taking Ramipril 10mg for a few months now.

I have experienced the tickly cough, but not often so thats ok, the one problem I'm worried by is joint pain.

I went from 5mg to 7.5mg to 10mg it has been whilst I have been on this higher dose that my arm joint to my shoulder have started to hurt, with sometimes sharp pain, also a sharp pain in the base of my index finger but again very occasionly.

I worry that if I go and talk to my doctor he may try and treat the joint pain with yet another drug which itself might have side effects, and the spiral then goes on into old age.

I am only 51 and will continue to take the medication but will monitor my problems and eventually have a chat with my GP.

If anyone else has had joint pain I'd be interested in their stories.

Cheers

Simon :D

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Simon, I have just joined this forum and I have been on Ramipril 10mg for some years now. I have had sore muscles and joints for many months but put it down to my age (62). I exercise regularly. I am beginning to think that the muscle and joint pain may be due to this medication so I am going to stop taking it for a week and see if the discomfort subsides. I will monitor my blood pressure during this time.
    • Posted

HI Christine,  I have played Squash for many years but by 9 months ago I had been unable to play due to muscle and joint pain and weakness that started in my thigh, then left knee, then right knee, then left elbow and right elbow.  The Doctor treated me for Tennis Elbow although I had been unable to play.

I then found I was unable to climb into the attic without using my hands to assist lifting each leg one at a time.  I knew something was wrong,  and when I checked the internet I found someone who had the exact same sequence of cumulative muscle and joint escalation that I had had.

The doctor would not believe me as his book did not show the sympton for Ramipril and insisted upon a blood test to check for arthiritis,  on this coming back clear and having a not too bad blood pressure when he checked,  he said I could try coming off the Ramipril.

I found an immediate improvement that was so radical and so quick,  that after only 4 days I put my name back down on the squash leagues.   I am now back to normal with no joint or muscle pain and played squash the other night for 2 hours and can climb the loft ladder like a spring chicken.

i now take more excercise either a daily walk or cycle and eat more healthily with fruit,fibre, Pommegranite, flax seed on cereal and completely cut out additional salt.  I also take my own blood pressure reading regularly myself.  I am 65 and am able to beat or equal players 30 years my junior.

I wish you luck and as much success as I have had.

Regards

Peter

• Posted

Hi Peter, Thank you so much for your reply. I am really hopeful that the muscle and joint pain is due to the medication. I have stopped taking the medication and will monitor my blood pressure but if the pain subsists then I will contact my GP for a change of medication. I would love to come off BP medication completely but I have a family history of high BP and strokes and so I dont want to take the risk. I am hoping that there may be a medication that will have less side effects.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me though.

• Posted

Hi Simon, I was also on Ramipril, mostly on 5mg coz 10mg made me feel really weak as my bp was too low.

I was on several meds following a heart attack and agents and at first it was OK but after a few months I realised I was feeling worse and worse. At 51 I was feeling 91. My joints hurt and were weak and I was getting pains not even in joints but just in bone.

I was taking ramipril 5mg, bisoprolol 5mg, aspirin 100mg, ticagrelor 70mg twice daily, frusemide 40mg, tried on several stations even though my cholesterol was only slightly high, plus another tablet I can't recall the name of as I didn't like it. Wow... I had never taken anything more than pain killers and antibiotics in my life. I was a vitamin girl.

I stopped taking pills at different times and even though I've not taken ramipril in over a year, those pains have not stopped, although they are less. My doctor was not interested in what I experienced and naive as I was, I was shocked by that.

Eventually I realised my doctor was not going to ever place any value on the things I experienced from the pills he has never taken so I just stopped taking everything. I do feel permanently damaged by these drugs. It's still hard for me to open bottles etc. Shoulder pain wakes me at night, I now have type 2 diabetes which I never had before.

Now that I have diabetes, I allowed myself to be persuaded to take ramipril again... I've taken one 5mg tablet today and already I have the stabbing pains back in my arms. Tonight I've decided to tackle high bp naturally with vitamin c and I think chilli and turmeric help as well as exercise.

I believe that these drugs stop our bodies from doing something that is natural to them, that then creates another problem somewhere else in the body and honestly I'm starting to believe that this is exactly what the drug companies want and doctors are brainwashed into being their accomplices. If we truly be healthy, I believe it's up to us... Think about it... If we get well, no one makes any money... So it's not in anyone's interests to support our health but us.

• Posted

I'm right with you there Sue! I now take Vit B3, Niacin instead of ramipril - seems to be working - with no side effects

OH is diabetic. He (we) have changed our diet and now take a variety of vits and mins. At a diabetic health check last week, the consultant said to OH, 'whatever you are doing, keep it up, all your 'numbers' are fine.) OH didn't have the heart to tell him he is no longer taking most of his meds - he's doing it all by diet.

If we could just get the joint pain sorted (I'm worse than him) we'd be laughing!😁

• Posted

Hi Sue, I could not agree with you more. I have stopped taking ramipril and the diuretic (cant remember its name) I was prescribed. I was getting joint and muscle pain and initially put it down to just getting older until I found this forum. I am managing my high bp with exercise, vitamins and other supplements. If I can lose some more weight I know that will help too. I have lost over a stone so far. I am extremely concerned about drug companies and their influence on the medical profession. The huge profits that they make selling their drugs and then selling even more drugs to counteract the side effects of the drugs that are being taken make me highly suspicious of their motives. Obviously if it is a life threatening situation like taking blood thinners if you have had a stroke for example then that is a different situation. However if you can make life style changes to lower high bp and lower cholesterol then that is the way I would prefer to live my life.

Good luck to you and I wish you health.

• Posted

I agree! We NEED cholesterol. If it's such a bogie man, why does your liver make it and why does it make up around 60% of your brain.

When arteries are clogged they call it 'calcification'. Stop that and you stop the need for cholesterol to 'oil the pipes'.

There is a need for medication sometimes, but I'm with Hypocrates when he said 'let food be thy medicine'.

Drug companies have a lot to answer for - putting profit before people.

• Posted

Ahhhh... Finally I feel like I'm home and surrounded by people who think for themselves. I was starting to feel adrift in a sea of people that just do what they are told whether it seems reasonable to them or not.

I see a homeopath regularly and he says... The body will heal itself if we let it. He supports my body in helping it do what it's trying to do... Rather than stopping it.

Here's to thinking for ourselves and taking back responsibility for our health... Although I know sometimes we are just too tired and it's easier to just swallow whatever we are given.

So instead... Here's to doing the best we can on a daily basis

• Posted

Hi Christine

Shameful isn't it? Wow. This need for medical help after a heart attack has been a huge eye opener for me. Whilst I'm grateful for the help and care I received and to not doubt the intentions of the doctors who treated me... I'm very aware of how brainwashed they are by the drug companies and how the entire system had come to be based on the opinions of those doctors whose facts are whatever is in the drug companies best financial interest. It's tobacco all over again...

I'm so glad you have found a better way

• Posted

Sue, Christine, nice to know I'm not alone. We need to get the word out there!

• Posted

Hi bobbysgirl, You are definitely not alone smile I just wish more GPs would encourage people to have lifestyle changes and not just write out a prescription. Think how much it could save the NHS!

I spoke to a lady recently who had been given several medications and each one had side effects so she was given another medication to counteract the side effect. She said the final straw came when her GP said that she seemed about "down", which she was since nothing seemed to be helping. The GP's reaction was "I can put you on some anti-depressants! At this point the lady walked out of the surgery.

• Posted

Too funny Christine, that could have been me.

I was on all the drugs I listed earlier plus the one heart drug that was stopped early coz I reacted to it with a rash on my upper body... For which I was initially given another drug to counteract the rash. After that I developed digestive issues and was given more drugs for that and later was diagnosed with severe depression and prescribed antidepressants. Wow it's a never ending ride and there's always just one more drug that we need.

In the end I stopped them all on one day. A doctor told me I was choosing death over life, I told him I want to live if I was going to feel the way I did.

After 5 days I felt that I needed to start taking my beta blocker again as I have chronic heart failure so I've remained on that at half dose and I've started taking the diuretics again as well.

I now take coq10 as a blood thinner and chromium to help with blood sugar, Vit C, a multi most days, magnesium and fish oil sometimes. I was taking turmeric and may start that again. I'm still working on diet but I'm glad I'm not still on that drug merry-go-round as much as I was.

I think because I was not used to taking drugs, I was very sensitive to them and probably a lot of people that take these drugs are not as sensitive and therefore maybe don't notice their effects as much. A lot of people also don't research alternatives and a lot of people just believe what doctors tell them without question and don't realise that they have a choice. Many people have said to me... My doctor told me I had to take... Whatever drug. My doctor now asks me if I will consider taking a certain drug as he knows I won't just swallow anything.

We all need to live our lives in the way we see fit... I only hope that these posts will serve to let people know they have choices and there are alternatives... And also if they are just so worn down by ill heath etc... It's OK too to just swallow the drugs. I've been there, some days it was all I felt I could do....at least for a while.

• Posted

I have a recipe for turmeric 'bombs' - they look like chocolate truffles. An aquired taste, but I think they are great. They contain Turmeric, coconut oil, raw honey, ginger and black pepper oils. Just don't stick your tongue out at anyone!lol

• Posted

OK

1/3 cup organic turmeric

3 tbsp raw honey

1 tbsp coconut oil (we use a little more)

5 drops black pepper essential oil

5 drops ginger essential oil

Just make sure you use the purest essential oils. Black pepper makes the turmeric work better and ginger is just amazing.

Mash the coconut oil to soften it then mix in the hney then turmeric and finally the oils. Roll into small balls using two teaspoons. Enjoy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.