Random mind pops

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone here experiences random mind pops? Sometimes I'd remember something so random, like a memory or a dream, usually it's vague. But lately I've been having a hard time with random images popping into my head, it usually comes at random, especially when I'm tired, I now literally hate closing my eyes thinking I'll see a random mental imagery, it's not gory or anything but it just bothers me like I think I'm just nuts. For example it throws me off sometimes when I'm talking, a random image would pop up, it doesn't cause me to stop talking or disrupt me in any way. It's pretty manageable but who wants to talk, especially about something serious, then all of a sudden a random image pops up. That's just weird and annoying. I don't know if it's always been here and normal and anxiety is just making me more aware of it, or it's an indication of something else. When I looked it up, of course the first thing that would pop up is a Schizophrenia forum *rolls eyes* and me who's a hypochondriac starts to think things again, sigh. Is this normal? Am I just constantly labeling everything as weird?

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Health anxiety or any  anxiety doesn't cross over into schizophrenia they arent in the same area of the brain or the similar in any way.  The worst case scenario with anxiety disorders is mental exhaustion and you recover from that.  If your are not in theraoy this would be a great time to start because dr. Google is useless. 

• Posted

Yes Anxiety and Schizophrenia aren't linked together, but all mental illnesses overlap with different symptoms and that is why people with anxiety think they're going nuts, the difference between them is having insight. Both people with anxiety and schizophrenia have intrusive thoughts, depersonalization, and a bunch of other symptoms. Mental exhaustion isn't the worse case scenario with anxiety, a lot of people have a bunch of other terrible symptoms cuz of anxiety. I know the mind pops are probably from anxiety, but being a hypochondriac I needed reassurance from people who probably has the same thing. Yes, I'm seeking therapy already, no I wasn't diagnosed with schizophrenia, nor am I even close. But sometimes things are haRd to believe when you have both Anxiety and Existential OCD

• Posted

Mental exhaustion is a complete nervous breakdown so nothing to make light of. All i was saying is the same as you statement in your response to your question that you know they are two different disorders, do not know what existential ocd entails.

But as no one was replying to you i thought i would try to comfort you with facts. Sorry 

• Posted

I agree with lisa, your coming at this with incorrect information.  The reason why people with anxiety catasrophise has nothing  to do with overlapping symptoms.  As a sufferer of health anxiey, you will know that reassurance from others while seemingly attractive - solves nothing, and is never believed.  The only way to deal with anxiety is either removing the source of anxiety if possible, and if its not then getting treatment for it.  Better to get treatment than look for reassurance from strangers, treatment will work - reassurance and googling simply wont
  • Posted

omg i swear when i saw this i thought i'd written it myself.. i was actually just going to post a discussion on this topic. this literally happens to me daily and i'm also scared i have a brain tumor so naturally i connect these things.. are they random memories of events? this is what it usually is for me... i've read several things that this can be connected to ocd and anxiety which i hope is accurate... but know youre not alone !

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Isn't it annoying? It's probably normal and common, but people with anxiety are just more aware of what goes on in their head, I'm hoping that's what it is. I remember before I even had full-blown anxiety, I woiuld remember random things or memories but never payed attention, I wish it could be like that now. Sometimes I just think to myself instead of worrying about these things, why not just live life and move on, easier said than done, but if you think about it, we all worry about things we have no control over and waste our time everydau=y, unfortunately. ): I'm glad I'm not the only one though (: If you're feeling weird sensations or have some concerns (needing reassurance), feel free to message me! We might have some things we go through in common, haha, anxiety at its finest.

• Posted

Hi I get mind pops when I'm doing stuff thts dosent really occupy my mind like cleaning ironing and random words just pop in my head fleeting and I think why did I think tht it's getting me down now as it happens s lot and I feel like I'm losing the plot x

• Posted

Hi, I get the random word pops too. Do you get some of the same ones over and over as well as new ones? It's freaking me out!

• Posted

It’s just random ones Hun it’s horrible isn’t it I find it’s mainly when my mind isn’t busy like cleaning ironing etc when do u get yours and sorry only just see this x
  • Posted

Hey bud (or gal), I hope you are doing better. Here to have give you some reassurance (as I received some from reading this post). I have anxiety, health anxiety to be specific. I had a period of panic attacks. The attacks have gone away almost completely. I still feel a bit "off" when I'm stressed. The "mind pops" have been on my awareness a great deal lately. Even though I know FOR A FACT that I've always had them. Ever since I was little I had a phenomenal memory of past experiences. This was thanks to the fact that almost every day, little things trigger past memories. 

Let me give you an example: walking outside when Fall is here, feeling the cold weather and seeing the brown leaves immediately trigger memories which have occurred in the Fall. Memories such as my niece being born (15 years ago), me visiting family for thanksgiving. etc. 

I see online that mind pops have been linked to schizophrenia as well. But, how many other mental health conditions have mind pops? I also found that OCD, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder can give mind pops to those who suffer. I think the key her is to keep being well connected with reality. Don't stress about your mind being all over the place. 

A couple of questions for you: How long have you "had" or noticed these mind pops? How old are you?

I'm 28 and I've noticed them my entire life. But I am now being anxious about it.

Cheers and I hope to hear from you soon. 

• Posted

Hi bob they started last year  when I was very stressed as my dad was dying so I was thinking was tht the reason just after he died I didn’t have them for a few months not sure why then  I got them again it’s really odd. If I worry about them I seem to get them more to  u can start randomly singing s song from out the blue and u don’t worry or like you say a memory will trigger and u don’t worry but random words tht don’t fit in anywhere just freak me out x 
    • Posted

Hey helen, I feel so relieved to read this topic. I was worrying a lot and terrified too that im having this ramdom mind pops lately. I have health anxiety diagnosed 2 years ago. Thank God im not alone.

• Posted

Yes its very normal with anxiety.  I get that. Sometimes the brain rapid fires and memories, images pop up.  That's good old Anxiety!  

• Posted

Hi Jan, how long have you noticed this rapid fires? and how old are you? Thanks smile 
    • Posted

Thanks Hun sorry I’ve only just seen all

These replys as have had so much going on haven’t been on here  so u think it’s due to anxiety x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.