Rapid heart beat with Flagyl

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced a rapid heart rate with flagyl. I'm taking it and cipro for diverticulitis. I've taken 3 doses and am noticing rapid heart rate and I'm pretty sure it's the flagyl, since I take that one alone one of the 3 times I take it a day.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bri77,

I don't remember rapid heart rate, but Flagyl made me so nauseous and caused vomiting, my doctor told me to stop taking it after 3 doses. I've heard and read that Flagyl has terrible side effects. Might want to call your doctor. Hope this helps. Take care,

• Posted

Hi! Yes I experienced a rapid heartbeat with Flagyl when I was on it. It's a horrible feeling. Mine was mostly at night when in bed. I didn't pay much attention to it during the day because I was busy moving but it was bad at night when going to bed.  It kinda felt like my blood pressure was up and giving me anxiety. Some days was better than others.  It stopped when I was off Flagyl but it was scary. Hopefully it will go away in a day or two for you. 

• Posted

I didn't have that and i'm surprised since I have tachycardia also. You need to report that to your doctor, as there are other antibiotics that can be used.

• Posted

I reported it to the Dr and he ended up taking me off of that and cipro and put me on Augmentin. So far so good. Thanks everyone!!
  • Posted

I have it every time they have given me Cipro to treat my diverticultis. I’m fact the first few times they kept telling me I was having panic attacks!  I insisted they switch out the cipro after I researched and found it can cause rapid heart rates, flushing etc. They switched to augmentin with the the Flagyl and I was fine. 
  • Posted

I had a bad reaction to flagyl. I thought I was losing my mind. Total panic attack, had to call people on phone to keep me sane. After that experience I stopped taking it. I only take cipro when having diverticulitis.

Flagyl is on my chart as something I cannot take.

• Posted

I am starting to wonder with so many of us having the same stories about the rapid heart rates, panic attack symptoms if the disease itself doesn’t cause some problems if these symptoms and he antibiotics either cipro or flagyl just increases them.
  • Posted

I don't know about the flagyl but I know for a fact that rapid heart beat is a side effect of Cipro.  The packet leaflet probably says to check with your doctor if you get this or other side effect.  Like pwk says here, if you read about Cipro side effect you will want your doc to change you to something else anyway - it can (and often is) horrendous.  Some people still have damaging symptoms many years later (I'm really not kidding!).

I'm sorry I didn't see this a few days ago as you need to stop taking it immediately if you get any kind of aches or pains, especially in your ankles but they could be anywhere.  Panic attacks are also common - and likely if your heart is doing funny things.  There's a very long list of other effects but the main thing to remember is that they can all be very long lasting - or may not even start for weeks after you've stopped taking the Cipro.

There are many discussions about Cipro on this site (under fluoroquinolne antibiotics) where you can see about the side effects and how serious they are. You could start by looking at this one:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Augmentin (mentioned here) is perhaps a better option. The list of Flagyl side effects is also horrendous but doesn't actually mention rapid heart beat, only chest pain

I very (seriously!) recommend you stop taking the Cipro if you haven't done so already.  See your doctor as soon as you can.  If he tries to say it'll all get better once you stop taking them tell him the evidence says otherwise and the MHRA are currently looking into increasing the warnings - this is true!

Once you get over this flare and the need for antibiotics be sure to repopulate your gut good with probiotics and also check out ways to keep the flares at bay by natural and healthy means.  There's lots of good advice on this site and on the net in general.

Good luck.

• Posted

hi this!has happened to me my pulse is racing and so lightheaded. had nausea vomiting and headaches. thank goodness I've taken the last one tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.