Rapid weight gain after stopping venlafaxine

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi there, I've gained weight over the past 6 weeks after coming off of venlafaxine - I was on it on and off for 5 years.

I thought it was due to the supplements I started taking (5htp, l-tyrosine, vit b complex) but I've read a few reports of rapid weight gain after coming off meds.

Has anyone else heard of this??

Can the weight be lost?

I'm exercising and eating super healthy and gaining weight by the day......, help!!

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is happening to me too. In fact I am now pescatarian and am eating more healthily than I ever have in my life, and yet my weight increases. I have no idea what's going on or why but I wish it would stop 😔😔😔😔

• Posted

well it’s happening the same to me but I am afraid the weight it will stay 
  • Posted

I'm so happy to see this isn't only me. 6 pounds in 2 months...reading that i'm not the only one helps. hopefully after a few more months, if I don't explode, my body will re adjust and start losing. I do know the side effects are finally gone. man, that was brutal. luck to all

• Posted

I Am afraid the weight will be permanent and I am exercising every day 
  • Posted

I’m just starting this weight gain. I thought I was imagining it. I guess I need to fight back at this process to get through?? 
  • Posted

Snap!

I came off sertraline about a month ago and now all my clothes are too small!

I'm eating just the same and actually have more energy so I'm now more active. Oh and I'm burning off more calories in the bedroom! Lol

It's so annoying.

• Posted

It’s slightly comforting to know none of us are alone but it doesn’t solve anything.  My daughters now been off that stuff for 7 months and since I posted 4 months ago I honestly don’t think she’s gained anymore weight and has maybe lost a little. She’s trying very  hard and doesn’t eat much.  She still has a little double chin she never had before and of course wants her old body back by November (graduation) but the weights not exactly dropping off.  

Her hormones are all over the place, I think she’s had about 2 periods in 8 months and they were heavy.  Her tummy bloats up like a balloon so she’s tried FODMAP diet ... everything.  I’m hoping the longer she’s med free her body will eventually reset itself.

I’m starting to think the drug Pristiq  has had the same effect on me (it’s similar to Effexor). I was only on it for a month a year ago - the doctor gave it to me to help me cope with my daughters issues!!!.  It made me feel so bad I stopped cold turkey at the end of the first pack, which was a relief.  Not long after stopping  I just packed on weight literally  overnight, none of my jeans would even go around my thighs.  And then my periods stopped for 2 months followed by  the heaviest period ever.  I thought maybe it was the start of peri menopause but my cycle is completely back to normal now.  My weight isn’t though. I walk the dogs and watch what I eat.  I lose a little then I gain a little and I still can’t get my thunder thighs into my jeans.  

I’m hoping with time all our bodies will return to how they once were. It would  be great to know if anyone successfully loses some.

I can’t believe that for me it only took 4 weeks of taking  this to stuff up my system.  

• Posted

Before taking venlafaxine my weight was dropping and I was really pleased but my gp put me on venlafaxine to help reduce my hot flushes I was only taking 75mg daily but they didn't work but since coming off them 4 weeks ago I have gained nearly a stone with no sign of it slowing down I am eating less than before I am so fed up but after finding this sight it seems I'm not alone.

• Posted

I am thankful for some answered but also very frustrated as I can see you all are as well. Within days of taking his last Effexor, my husbands stomach started expanding. He now has swelling in his feet and the doctors don't know why. After reading your post I am understanding more (than the doctors apparently). The withdrawals were bad enough and now this..........

• Posted

I recently went off of (262.5 mg) Venlafaxine ER after being on it for several years. During the last 4 weeks, I've gained 12 lbs, had severe headaches and irritability and have had to work very hard to keep control of my focus. It's very frustrating.

• Posted

Did anyones doctors test your liver? God bless you all. my poor husband is so miserable and frustrated.

• Posted

have You visit dietician ? Mby he will help after comprehensive research about Your weight gain. Mby he will recommend special diet.

Keep strong love !

• Posted

have You visit dietician ? Mby he will help after comprehensive research about Your weight gain. Mby he will recommend special diet.

Keep strong love !

• Posted

after doing some research, we believe it may be liver damage from the VENLAFAXINE my husband has an appointment with a gastronologist today to look at his liver. it appeas it could be ASCITES when you look ip photos, his stomach looks like those in the picture

• Posted

OH WOW - thank you very much for sharing your research. This totally explains our daughters issues. 14 months later she's still on the road to recovery & bloats up sometimes but not as badly. The weight is stubborn. Based on the amount she eats she should be skin & bones but shes still over weight. Shes been diagnosed with PCOS, insulin resistance, lactose intolerance, episodes of alopecia areata & is under investigation for high blood glucose, Cushings disease & Lupus. she's now having renal problems too. Barely 18, she would love to have a boyfriend. Before the psych meds she was a pretty petite blonde with anxiety who is a natural singer & performer.

Thank you again. I'm very pleased to hear its not the liver!!!!! All the best to everyone here. I wish there was more info available out there

• Posted

i now have him on a ketogenic diet. PLEASE look into that for your daughter. it helps with most, if not all the issues she is having. Look up DR. Eric Westman from Durham NC. He has been promoting this way of eating for years at DUKE University and now with the HEAL Clinic. DR. Atkins original nurse now works with him. I do not go to the clinic but i follow them on facebook and youtube. This way of eating is eating real foods. Meats, healthy fats and vegetables. I feel sure this will help her. i wish you all well.

• Posted

another update.........he told me last night that 3 days of eating low carb, he doesn't feel near as bloated. he is sleeping better too. I also ordered him a weighted blanket to help with any anxiety and sleep. I am willing to do anything to help him. He went thru so much in this month and I can only imagine what all your daughter has gone through. It breaks my heart for her. Please read thru all of that website, The Withdrawal Project. There is SOOOOO much information.

I pray this helps all of you. I now want to be a huge advocate for this and the people going thru it.

Worriedmother, there is hope for your daughter and I truely believe this could be the answer. PLEASE keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.