Rapid weight gain after stopping venlafaxine

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi there, I've gained weight over the past 6 weeks after coming off of venlafaxine - I was on it on and off for 5 years.

I thought it was due to the supplements I started taking (5htp, l-tyrosine, vit b complex) but I've read a few reports of rapid weight gain after coming off meds.

Has anyone else heard of this??

Can the weight be lost?

I'm exercising and eating super healthy and gaining weight by the day......, help!!

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

im so glad i found this discussion! ive been tapering off and also experiencing sudden on set weight gain. it took me a little while to put two and two together, but i already knew effexor had terrible withdrawal effects from missing dosages. has anybody had success losing the weight?? is it caused by water retention or the loss of adrenal boost from discontinuing the effexor?

to the concerned mother of the teen-

perhaps have your daughter's thyroid checked. it sounds like she may

be exhibiting symptoms of hashimto's disease. i was diagnosed a year and a half ago. unfortunately, most doctors dont perform a full thyroid panel, and therefore, overlook this autoimmune disorder. i highly recommend looking up information on the internet BEFORE going to a doctor for the blood test because of most doctors unfamiliarity with the disease and appropriate panels to run. it would also be helpful to see if her symptoms match. its worth looking into if youre still at a loss. hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi thanks. Thankfully 18 months on things are improving which will hopefully be very encouraging for others. My daughter's now 18 & with the guidance of a brilliant naturopath she was diagnosed with PCOS. I was confident it was the endocrine system. She thoroughly tested for thyroid problems before blood tests revealed high androgens, testosterone & insulin resistance. Interesting as GP's had ruled out PCOS initially. But the naturopath wouldnt leave any stone unturned. My daughter was also sent to a GI because of the bloated "9 month pregnant" tummy (& because her sister has Crohns). She was medically diagnosed with lactose intolerance. Otherwise all okay there. So now she's on a lactose free, low carb diet. She sees an endocrinologist who tested her for Cushings so that she could rule out everything else before accepting it was PCOS. My daughter has lost the 10kg she gained after withdrawal and only bloats up if she eats lactose. The only medication she takes now is Metformin for the insulin resistance. She's still working on losing a bit of weight but is happier and healthier than she's been in years & is doing really well off psych meds. I believe that Effexor messes with the endocrine system. I don't think her lactose intolerance & PCOS starting during withdrawal were just a coincidence. There's light at the end of the tunnel

• Posted

Hello,

I've gained 25 lbs in less than a month, I did not taper, which was a horrible experience. I have been an absolute mess. Hoping it all passes soon and this weight comes off. BEYOND MISERABLE!!!

• Posted

Gaaaah I am so glad I found this forum. I started tapering off effexor, 225 mg, in Sept 2018. I did a fast taper. 225 mg to 150 mg in September, to 75 mg in December, then started counting those stupid beads in Feb 2019, down to 67 mg until the bead counting seemed ridiculous and jumped off in April. as my mg decreased, my weight went up! I'm even eating less now due to not having an appetite from the withdrawal nausea. I have gained 20 pounds since September and that is the only thing that's changed. since my last dosage in April, I am so puffy. my face, my feet, my fingers..I can hardly wear my wedding rings. i even started going to the gym.WTF is happening? I am so depressed. this is life after antidepressants?? seems like a cruel joke.

• Posted

I'm in exact same boat! I quit cold turkey, terrible idea. I have gained 25 lbs since March of 2019. Nothing is working. I too am so swollen and puffy. Worst thing ever- plus so emotional and angry. Need help!!!

• Posted

I really don't understand what would cause it. And I'm fairly certain that my stupid doctor would say it's not caused by stopping the medication. My husband has even mentioned it, which he never says anything about my weight at all. My acupuncturist noticed that my feet are puffy. It has really added insult to injury. I'm drinking tons of water, no soda, no coffee, no chocolate or icecream like I used to practically be addicted to. I am so angry!

• Posted

it all has something to do with how the medicine alters the brain my husband had another panic attack one link for him is gluten his stomach swelled more and he felt like he could not breathe.

there is a website called The WITHDRAWAL Project. It has a lot of info explaining why you are experiencing the bloating and offers ideas that have helped others

• Posted

thanks, yes, I have read the Withdrawal Project, good information

• Posted

it all has something to do with how the medicine alters the brain my husband had another panic attack one link for him is gluten his stomach swelled more and he felt like he could not breathe.

there is a website called The WITHDRAWAL Project. It has a lot of info explaining why you are experiencing the bloating and offers ideas that have helped others

• Posted

Stopping venlafaxine abruptly may result in one or more of the following withdrawal symptoms: irritability, nausea, feeling dizzy, vomiting, nightmares, headache, and/or paresthesias (prickling, tingling sensation on the skin). Depression is also a part of bipolar illness.

• Posted

hello all, i’m so glad to find this forum

Thank you all for sharing. Pardon the poor punctuation for some reason the text box won’t let me punctuate

I tapered down Effexor and my last Effexor was 10 days ago. I did not like the blunted affect and I felt like I was getting some sort of cognitive dysfunction. I am horrified because I have gained 14 pounds in those 10 days. What can my doctor prescribe or do to fix this? My rheumatologist gave me affects her because I have systemic lupus although it’s very mild and the only medicine I take for it now is thyroid

I’m already on a prescription diuretic because the lupus ..

What can be done about this weight gain? I don’t want to take another meds to combat it but if the body needs to adjust for two or three months and curious what everybody’s experience is besides the keto diet? I’m a vegetarian

thank you!

mortified,

HP

• Posted

hello, I know this post is old but i have to say, wow. i thought my weight gain had something to do with this effexor withdrawal.

i have gained over 20kg in the last 8 months while tapering off.

nothing fits, i feel seriously fat and not ok with this.

naturally on me 75 to 80 kg is a good weight for me, am a size 12 at this weight, anything pess makes me look sick due to my height.

i am now in a size 16 and am eating 1000 calories, sometimes less per day but still, it keeps piling on.

does anyone have any tips?

• Posted

Usually when taking mental health medication, a person loses weight not gains it. Its unusual to gain weight after coming off the medication. Just keep doing your thing and staying healthy.

• Posted

I can't believe I found this forum. To everyone who has gained weight I feel your pain! I've gained 20 pounds since stopping effexor. I don't even know why I stopped it. I just did during Covid. I had no side effects going off it or so I thought. I thought the first ten pounds was from too much sitting around on Zoom but then less than two weeks later I had gained 20 pounds. I was shocked. I told my regular doctor. She didn't even blink. Doctors don't seem to get that a lot of people with depression also often have body image issues. I do. Of course when I lost thirty pounds during a very bad depression some years ago no doctor thought much of that either. I guess because that 50 pound range is considered in the normal average range for my height. It isn't normal for me however. Now I am on 1200 calorie a day diet. It's not that bad. I think I lost 2 pounds in about ten days. I eat fairly healthily anyway so it's not that bad but 18 more pounds to lose feels daunting. Good luck to everyone dealing with this and to everyone who has to diet to control their weight or lives worrying about their weight I have total respect for you. It's hard!

• Posted

I have not been depressed since I quit taking it. a doctor had prescribed it for me to prevent hot flashes after I had cancer treatment I was taking Wellbutrin at that time but I stopped a long time ago I knew that effexor was more than difficult to stop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.