Rapid weight gain after stopping venlafaxine

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi there, I've gained weight over the past 6 weeks after coming off of venlafaxine - I was on it on and off for 5 years.

I thought it was due to the supplements I started taking (5htp, l-tyrosine, vit b complex) but I've read a few reports of rapid weight gain after coming off meds.

Has anyone else heard of this??

Can the weight be lost?

I'm exercising and eating super healthy and gaining weight by the day......, help!!

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

i will tell you that I also have this same problem, rapid gain during weaning off, and after quitting all together, it is so frustrating. i am going to a naturopath to see of there is a way to maybe detox or change this trend... i am usually around 145 lbs, and today i am at 181 lbs

• Posted

I stopped after taking it 19 years and Im gaining weight, even though I have no appetite now since the stomach pain stopped

• Posted

I stopped after taking it 19 years and Im gaining weight, even though I have no appetite now since the stomach pain stopped

• Posted

Me too! I hate it!!!!! I started to come off the Effexor in February and finished coming off in March. Since then I've gained almost 20 pounds but my diet hasn't changed. I don't have any advise for you, just know you aren't alone. This is awful! I see my PCM next week for it.

• Posted

This exact thing is happening to me

I stopped them about 5 weeks ago and am approaching 10 lbs of weight gain. I am working out harder now than ever before and eating is the same so I know that it is the stopping of the meds. Sucks. Hoping our bodies will readjust because this is not fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.