Rash from gallbladder removal since today

Posted , 28 users are following.

Gallbladder was removed on Tuesday. Today, as I emerged from the haze of my meds, I noticed a red rash from my bellybutton to my breasts. The rashes aren't concentrated around the incision sites. The nurse told me to take a benadryl and a shower, but the rash hasn'y gone away, Should i wait till monday, or go into the ER? I've inclued an image of the rash. Thank you .

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is probably quite irrelevant, but after bowel surgery four years ago, I came home with my back ?covered in hundreds of small spots. Some of them with pus as well. They  weren't there before I went into hospital. It was diagnosed after tests as Peri Vascular Dermititis. The scars are still there. Probably nothing like your rash Jenny, but it just reminded me of that time. They didn't itch fortunately, in fact I didn't know they were there until my wife mentioned them to a District Nurse.

?Hope you get it sorted! 

• Posted

Has anyone gotten an explanation why this rash occurs after GB surgery?
    • Posted

i had mine removed in september 2019 few days later began to break out in a rash/hives they disnt it h to begin with but as time went on they drive me crazy itching sometimes my lips will swell like i have had implants and im still dealing with this im on 3 different meds and have went through several steroid packs nothing is helping

• Posted

Hey all,

I posted a while ago about my rash afterwards and the dr said it was something from within not topical. So whatever they used inside me ( cleanse scrub or whatever) It took so long to go away..used tropicals, antibiotics, So so itchy. It finally went away after a month or so later.

• Posted

Wow thats a long time to be dealing with it. I did 3 rounds of high does prednisone, allegra, benadryl, topical creams before mine finally went away. The surgeon and nurse pretty much blew it off. Documented that I am allergic to the surgical scrub, which was a mixture of alcohol and iodine. I have no allergies to those previously with surgeries or individually so im not 100% convinced it was the scrub. I still catch myself scratching my lap sites, they still itch inside. Good luck hope it gets better.

• Posted

I had gallbladder removal surgery 5 days ago. I noticed the rash the day after. There was still iodine or betadine on my sides...and that's where the rash was. So I thought that was it. I showered and put some cortisone on it and took some benedryl. Well...it's still spreading. It goes all the way around my torso and itchy. It looks like a rash that's red bumps just below the skin.

Hopefully I can see my Dr tomorrow and get some answers. If I do i will let y'all kno. If u guys get any answers please share!

• Posted

Jenny,

We put it down to a reaction from the drugs or anesthetic. It was very itchy for several weeks and they tried to say they had not seen it before, GP said it was brown tail moth rash. The ointment for it did help but that was not the cause. Never did define the root cause, but it gradually subsided.

Use whatever works for you to stop the itching.

• Posted

There is an interesting website by a female PhD from MIT, , that describes exactly the problems I have been left with since being scared into GB surgery after going to the ER for food poisoning. I had no problems with my GB, but was told I had to have the surgery ''because I had stones"  I too experienced the rashes & joint pain shortly after the surgery, which I got rid of rapidly by doing various alternative therapies. Now I suffer with pain in the back of my left leg, (neuropathy), & walk a little crooked. My surgery was October, 2017.Prior to the GB surgery, I was in very good health.  i think the surgery triggered an autoimmune condition which I have not found easy to solve. I would be anxious to hear how those who have had their GB's removed are doing now. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I had an itcy rash on my right butt cheek about a month before gallbladder surgery. I was told that it was related to my gallbladder. I had gallbladder surgery on April 16th. The rash is still there but doesn't itch quite as much as it did before the surgery.

I'm using Gold Bond Exema lotion. Has anyone else had this problem on their butt cheek.

• Posted

Did anyone figure out the root cause of the rashes after a GB surgery? 

Also how much time did the rashes take to disappear completely? 

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank yoi!

• Posted

Google autoimmune reactions/conditions. This should lead you to the answer for the root cause question. Depending on what you choose to do to heal the rash or rashes, the time it takes for it/them to disappear is variable. I would give more specific information, but this site does not seem to allow this. I have solved my problems post GB surgery using various methods. Even my neuropathy in my leg is 99% gone. Not an easy fix.
  • Posted

Attachment at bottom of my RASH

September25 2018

Gallbladder surgery

Sept. 26 2018 went to ER

Due to severe muscle spasms/cramps in rib cage.

I had suffer with these muscle/cramps for several years. They had  first started in my legsso painful I pass out with one esosole. 

However, after GB surgery they intensified lasting for hours instead as before maybe they would only last 5 mintues or so.

ER after CT scan of abdominal and BLood work sent me home with BENTYL (a abdominal muscle relaxer)

Since I couldn’t get appointment until 0ct. 3  2018 Wed. with my surgeon , I got an appointment Oct. 2, 2018 Tues. afternoon with my primary care doctor office.  So, while I was at my primary care doctor they took a look at the beginning of a rash (rash that by that night look like jenny’s)and wanted to give me a steroid shot; however, since I had talked to my surgeon nurse earlier that day about my muscle spasms and the beginning of a rash, she advise me to let primary care doctor to treat spasms since I had them before surgery but the surgeon would treat rash the next day. BI G mistake on my partby night I was broke out all over my abdominal and back areaitching SO bad I could hardly stand it. I max out Benadryl doses for  a 24 hor period and was all night take alcohol bath just to have some relief. Next morning I was calling primary care office to get steroid shot they had offer day before; however, took most of morning  before they could get me a steroid call in (Methylprednisolone).  By that time it was time for my appointment with surgeon (was totally blown off by his NO interest in my rash or muscle spasms. He look at my incision and ask if primary doctor had call in a prescription for steroids med and when I total him they hadhe was out of exam room and that was it.

Soooooo I think they have to know something about patients having these rashes and for some reason beyond what the heck they don’t want to address it.

Well, took my last steroid med this morning, and starting to itch somewhatI have an appointment to see my primary care doctor Oct. 10 2018 (Wed.) to discuss rash and muscle spasms. We’ll see?

September25 2018

Gallbladder surgery

Sept. 26 2018 went to ER

I had suffer with these muscle/cramps for several years. They had  first started in my legsso painful I pass out with one esosole. 

However, after GB surgery they intensified lasting for hours instead as before maybe they would only last 5 mintues or so.

ER after CT scan of abdominal and BLood work sent me home with BENTYL (a abdominal muscle relaxer)

Since I couldn’t get appointment until 0ct. 3  2018 Wed. with my surgeon , I got an appointment Oct. 2, 2018 Tues. afternoon with my primary care doctor office.  So, while I was at my primary care doctor they took a look at the beginning of a rash (rash that by that night look like jenny’s)and wanted to give me a steroid shot; however, since I had talked to my surgeon nurse earlier that day about my muscle spasms and the beginning of a rash, she advise me to let primary care doctor to treat spasms since I had them before surgery but the surgeon would treat rash the next day. BI G mistake on my partby night I was broke out all over my abdominal and back areaitching SO bad I could hardly stand it. I max out Benadryl doses for  a 24 hor period and was all night take alcohol bath just to have some relief. Next morning I was calling primary care office to get steroid shot they had offer day before; however, took most of morning  before they could get me a steroid call in (Methylprednisolone).  By that time it was time for my appointment with surgeon (was totally blown off by his NO interest in my rash or muscle spasms. He look at my incision and ask if primary doctor had call in a prescription for steroids med and when I total him they hadhe was out of exam room and that was it.

Soooooo I think they have to know something about patients having these rashes and for some reason beyond what the heck they don’t want to address it.

Well, took my last steroid med this morning, and starting to itch somewhatI have an appointment to see my primary care doctor Oct. 10 2018 (Wed.) to discuss rash and muscle spasms. We’ll see?

September25 2018

Gallbladder surgery

Sept. 26 2018 went to ER

September25 2018

Gallbladder surgery

Sept. 26 2018 went to ER

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.