Rash from gallbladder removal since today

Posted , 28 users are following.

Gallbladder was removed on Tuesday. Today, as I emerged from the haze of my meds, I noticed a red rash from my bellybutton to my breasts. The rashes aren't concentrated around the incision sites. The nurse told me to take a benadryl and a shower, but the rash hasn'y gone away, Should i wait till monday, or go into the ER? I've inclued an image of the rash. Thank you .

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm going through torso rash for the second time 15 years apart! First was an oopherectomy, now gallbladder. First time I was told allergic to codeine. This time not on codeine, and it showed up 4 days after surgery! Taking benadryl appt. with GP Monday. There has to be a common denominator here. OUR stories are all the same but different. HMMMM

• Posted

I agree it seems like a really weird coincidence. After the experience I had after gallbladder surgery in 2017, I thought I was prepared to avoid it following a pelviscopy in March of this year. Nope. Everyone still assumed it was some kind of tape that triggered the reaction. I told them this time no tape, no adhesive bandages, nothing. I STILL broke out in a horrible rash that started with a perfect outline of the sterile surgical drape that they adhere to your abdomen with...you guessed it...ADHESIVE! It eventually spread around my entire torso from neck to hips and was starting down my upper arms by the time it was brought under control by two separate rounds of steroids, plus maximum doses of Zantac and Zyrtec. I am now seeing an allergist/immunologist to try and get to the bottom of the situation because I need to have hip surgery and I am freaking out about a recurrence and the risk of secondary infection in my hip joint.image

• Posted

This is after the rash started to spread

• Posted

My rash is being held in check by Benadryl, cool showers. I cannot take the prednisone do to botox shots for cervical dystonia treatment on the 21st. I must admit this time it is much milder. I had an allergy bracelet for adhesives. Special cleansing prior to surgery for barrier. Which is why I think it didn't show up for four days. I wish you all the best, and would be interested to see what the allergist shows.

• Posted

Well, I did come up with slight reactions to a number of things, but nothing to the extent of the rash I developed post-op. My orthopedic surgeon was not surprised. He explained that often you won't react to something that is gently applied to your skin and removed after a couple of days, but if there is tugging at the skin (as with a bandage) or tearing of the skin (as with ripping off an adhesive surgical drape) or if substances are left on the skin (like surgical scrub) and not washed off thoroughly after surgery or if the patient is told to avoid getting an area wet...all of those factors can contribute to a reaction. So we'll see going forward. I know better what to look for now, and my surgeon knows to make sure they treat my skin like fine china! LOL

• Posted

I woke up with the same exact rash this morning. All over my stomach between all the incisions. I'm seeing the dr today so I will let you know what he says

• Posted

hi Lori9868,

did you recover OK and rash go? I am 7 days post of and have what looks like a mild version, but i interested in what you dr thought and did.

• Posted

Good morning!

yes it's gone but took a long while. Benadryl high dose, prednisone, .Dr said it could have been something he used on the inside during surgery. So many things ,scrubs to clean, etc..are used so he couldn't nail it down but that was the conclusion. He said it's not uncommon. I thought it would never go away. It spread to my arms legs face ears and I told him I prob spread it from scratching cause it was soooo itchy but he said no it came from inside so it is not typical for it to spread by scratching. It was long recovery. Im gonna try and post pics. I hope you recover well. Lori. I can message you if youd like. it wont let me post pics ..says files too big.

• Posted

I can see this thread started a while ago, but is building to quite an interesting portfolio. Suspect it is not a phenomenon restricted to GB laprascopic surgery, bur glad I found this when googling my rash! Had my op 7 days ago and after first proper shower (two days post) noticed marks that I thought had been made by lying on seams of my nightwear. Next day in exactly same positions. Lucky for me it has not gotten worse and only mildly itchy (but enough for me to search). Had read about some research on the superglue used to close the surface skin, causing an allergic reaction, but think later posters are on the right track about the adhesive on sheets placed around the operating area (explains the edge effects I have). Wonder what the chemical composition is?

• Posted

Post op day 3 Lap Chole started getting itching and burning at lap sites with a few blisters saw surgeon who was stumped. Said could pick surgical glue off maybe that would help. By post op day 5 I had full rash over right side of abdomen. I has been taking benadryl and topical hydrocortisone cream with no relief. Urgent Care wrote antibiotic and stronger cream and to keep taking benadryl. Still no relief. I have had surgeries before and do not have sensitive skin. File size is too big

• Posted

This is what it looks like

• Posted

Hello, I realize that thus is a really old post. I'm experiencing the same exact thing and that's how my skin looks . how did get it to go away?

• Posted

yes that's exactly what it looks like. burns itches ...

• Posted

Who treated your reaction? Surgeon or Primary Care? My surgery clinic is blowing me off. So I followed up with Primary care. Surgery clinic said don't need to see me.

• Posted

I saw my primary first and then she sent my surgeon pics and then I saw my surgeon at my 2 or 3 week follow up after surgery.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.