Re: blood clots in the lungs and copd.

Posted , 7 users are following.

As I am pretty new to the whole issue of having copd, how are blood clots

in the lungs and copd connected?  Or not?  Actually I was diagnosed quite

a few years ago with copd and believe this or not, went into total denial.

Didn't even know that I had done that, ie. until a few weeks ago the gp said,

"You have copd."  My reply, "I know".  Not going to go into all of why I

chose to ignore the fact of having copd, other than, I'll give you a couple,

I have several, many, many other health issues going on.  Spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, just to name a few.

I am in constant pain every single day of my life and I can't tolerate any

medications - none.  I've tried.  None of them work for me, they make me

very, very ill, almost deathly ill (some).  So, I get up everyday and pray

to the Lord to give me strength to carry on, to put one foot in front of the

other and that's it, just keep moving forward to wherever that may lead me.  Good night.  (not quite yet, it's just before 6pm!)....

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi terri69807 -- I have been following your comments with interest and meaning to write on several occasions. Your remarks on "blood clots and COPD" have acted as a prompt. Also, having been a frequent visitor to Victoria, BC, I can relate to some of the things you have said.

First I am no stranger to the remote Canadian wilderness. I don't know how far up-island you are but am certainly aware of the impact caused by isolation. It was no hardship in my case but those long winter months can affect many. My experiences on the island perhaps don't extend much beyond the mountains west and north of Duncan. I therefore feel it a good idea if you develop a network of contacts.

Looking back on medical facilities that are available your local health authority, whilst facing cuts, has first-rate clinicians. I had occasion to take patients (for admission) to Victoria General and another one downtown together with Cowichan District. All of them are excellent. It is important you have easy access to any of them.

Most importantly, the feature of small clots on the lung(s) is normally a direct result of impaired circulation in the leg. I understand a course of warfarin - up to 6 months - is the treatment of choice prescribed for the condition. It is advisable not to ignore the situation irrespective of side-effects which should be minimal with this drug.

• Posted

Hi david 1942 - I am way farther north on the island than Duncan and

don't have access to first rate clinicians.  It took 2 years to find a gp and

he is in another town.  So I don't have easy access to hospitals or

doctors, etc.....  I was not the person asking about clots in the lungs

initially, that was someone else.  So David I think the wires have

gotten crossed somewhere?!  Thanks for your interest and take care.

• Posted

Terr69807...you got me confused...I read your post to David and you said you didn't post about the clots but the very first posting on this page, this discussion,....is from you asking about how clots have anything to do with COPD...something like that...scroll back up....isn't that you? It's your name..terri69807...I'm just sayin.....???
    • Posted

Hi ladyjack51:

You are absolutely right!  That is me, was me, however I wasn't asking

the question for myself personally, I'd read someone else's post and was

wondering what the connection, if any, was.  Whew.  Thought age was

getting the better of me for a sec. there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.